Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What Platters do you like? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Platters do you like?
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like:

Christie AW3
Strong/Potts
Speco LP-270
Kinoton

I've seen, but not used and don't like:

Big Sky
Neumade

I've heard about and dread:

ORC
CFS Super Platter
Kansas City Drive-In

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I like:
Christie AW3/AW3R
SPECO LP270 and 280

I've seen and think I would like:
Kinoton (current model)

I've seen, have not used and have not made up my mind yet because these could be very good platters, but I see minor design flaws:
Cinemecannica (current model)
Xetron/Neumade (current model)

I've seen and am pretty sure I would not like due to inexcusable design flaws:
Big Sky
Christie AW1

I've not seen, but just KNOW that I would hate:
Simplex "air platter"

I've worked with and hate very, very much:
Strong (microswitch style)***
Potts (all models)
CFS (all models)
ORC (all models)
Teco (was there more than one?)
Christie AW2 (junk)
Kinoton (older dual microswitch style)

***Disclaimer: I wasn't sure which category to put this in. The current non-microswitch (don't remember the model number) Strongs could be made to be very good platters, but will require some design changes by Strong. Until such time, they stay in my "hated" file.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-16-2002 08:39 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used and like:
Christie AW3
Speco LP270

I have used and don't like:
Big Sky
Strong
Christie AW2

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-16-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked with and I like:
Christie AW3/AW3R
Christie MW3 (Miniwind) MULTI-BOARD version
Strong/Potts A-3 (phase control brain)
Norelco/Kinoton (dual microswitch brains)

I've seen and think I would like:
Kinoton (current model)
SPECO

I've not seen (other than pictures), but just KNOW that I would hate:
Simplex "air platter"
Any endless-loop system

I've worked with and hate very, very much:

CFS (all models, including the ORC version of the Super Platter)*
ORC 'fat tree'
Christie AW1
Christie AW2
Christie MW3 (early SINGLE-BOARD version)
Early Potts w/ microswitch brains

*NOTE I have had to deal with so many CFS platters that I have taken a masochistic liking to them only when they work properly. Otherwise I can't get rid of them fast enough!

-Aaron

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see agreement on the Big Sky Platters, that was my only major complaint when opening in Methuen. Their MUTs were also very disagreeable. I do stick to my Strongs as favorites, but I haven't dealt with Christie, Potts, or Speco enough to rank them yet.

------------------
"The greatest thing you will ever learn, is just love and be loved in return."

Barry C. Martin
IATSE Local 182

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 11:15 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering,
Has anyone else except me worked with a TECO platter? They may have been made by another company and I assume it is from the late 70's or early 80's. The only thing we have ever had happen to it is I guess the main circuit board had to be replaced way before my time (at least 10 or more years ago) and has never needed a service call since. Here is a picture of it, although not the best angle.

------------------
Adam Fraser www.pinestheatre.com

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only worked with Strong platters, both Alpha's and AP-3's. The AP-3's have microswitch brains and NOT ONCE in 5 years of operation have they thrown a print. The Alpha platters have phase control brains, which also work just fine.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-17-2002 12:11 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started out with Strong platters in an AMC (Strong) booth and I had no problems with them. Unfortunately, I wasn't a tech of any sort back then and so I never bothered to learn the model number. Loved that make-up table.

Then I moved and the booth was all ORC stuff. This was not an AMC booth, BTW. Oh, I can't tell you how much I hate, hate, hate ORC equipment. Evil platters: noisy, clunky and hard to repair. The payouts are waaay too delicate and the makeup table sucks, sucks, SUCKS!!!

And, now, there is Christie and it's all I use. The Christie AW3/AW3R is very nice. It's quiet and easy to maintain/repair ( a very modular design approach). The payout heads are great. I like the Christie MUT a lot.

BTW, Brad...I got a tachometer. I will take a pic of mine - I wonder if it's the same as yours (you recommended this a while back). The RPM scale doesn't seem to bear any relation to what the actual platter is doing. I think I will have to put stickers on it to denote target platter speeds.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-17-2002 12:42 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teco products had a crude charm to them....the rewinders and platter where very troublefree. Potts, Trident, Cinemeccanica and the new improved Speco have given me no problems.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-17-2002 01:19 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you didn't mention the Eprad Platter.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-17-2002 01:22 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you or nobody didn't even mention the Eprad Platter.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-2002 01:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should create a new category for that one Paul.

I've seen pictures of and can't believe anyone actually mass produced what has to be the stupidest platter design of all time:
Eprad

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 02:20 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I find pictures of this EPRAD platter on this site?

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 05:03 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say it now and have said it again
All Super/ORC platters should be used as boat anchors in Puget Sound.
Anything made by CFS should be blown up in tiny pieces so we don't have to pollute any dumpsites where they belong.
The only platter we should all have is an AW3.
To hell, and I mean platter hell, with the rest.
Good night!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-2002 06:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Platters that I have worked with and love:
Christie AW3R with visible LED

Platters that I have not worked with but think I would enjoy:
Kinoton (current model)
Speco (newer model, but with the Film-Tech modifications--see review on this site)

Platters that I have worked with and am OK with but still would recommend a few design improvements:
Strong phase control (with auto-sensing takeup switch, not the 4 position Payout/Rewind/Make Up/Off switch)*
Strong digital control*

*I am not a fan of any platter that uses vacuum cleaner motors or a variac that controls both payout and takeup at the same time, but these seem to do OK. Now if they could just make one simple change to the brain and threading would be much easier.

Platters that I have worked with and cannot stand:
Anything with "ORC" on it
Strong/Potts microswitch
Strong phase control with the 4 position Make Up/Payout/Rewind/Off switch
Christie AW3R with "auto-timing" (though you CAN put the visible LEDs in and they will work great)

Platters that I have not used but am pretty sure I would not enjoy due to obvious design flaws that I can easily see in pictures and reports from users:
Big Sky
Eprad
Simplex Air Platter
Any endless loop system

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: