Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Calibrate analog LED

Author Topic: Calibrate analog LED
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 04:14 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

I've just read the Dolby procedure about calibrating the analog's LED.

It speak about "gain adjustment on the cinema processor optical preamp board".

On CP500 is this gain control the gain I can found on the "dolby level" page? Or is there another gain control on CP?

Thanks!

Bye

------------------
Antonio Marcheselli
Florence, Italy

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-16-2002 05:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio:

I'm just trying to clarify what it is you want to do...are you interested in setting Dolby Tone level using Cat. 69T film?

~Manny (The best tobacco money can buy!)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2002 06:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio the gain adjustment on the optical preamp is set in the Achain alignment menu as dolby level

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 06:10 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

The only gain on the CP 500 is the one that control the dolby level.
Raise this level to the max, and reduce de current inside the red LED. (a trimpot is located in is power supply) to obtain just a little more bit than the dolby Level (Of course you must have a loop of CAT 69t running in the projector)
At final reduce the dolby level of the cp 500 to obtain the right level.
Please pay attention tha your reader must be alignated perfectly and clean !
For more information, consult the service bulletin No SB-0011 and SB-0012 at www.strong-cinema.com
Component Engineering website can be helpfull too

Good Luck, and I beg your pardon for my weak english !

------------------
Jean-Michel Grin - Europlex Cinemas (Switzerland)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to chime in with one very important and often overlooked tip. Check the alignment of the led bracket!

On pretty much all of the led/reverse scanning systems I have used there is a small amount of play in the mounting of the led bracket. That play will make a world of difference in the life of your leds. As an example, I have converted a lot of soundheads with the Kelmar kit. Once I have a rough alignment I run a cat69T loop and slightly loosen the screws just enough to move it around. Listening through the port window or monitor will show just how much of a difference this can make. I have one complex with 3+ year old Kelmar red led upgrade kits installed in them and the power supplies for the leds are STILL all set at minimum output, and reaching Dolby tone is effortless with extra headroom. When that range finally starts to die then, and only then will I start increasing the power to the led.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 07:08 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

No, I would like to set the LED's power!

I didn't know that there was an "official" way to set the power level of that LED.

I don't have instruments to perform an A-chain adjustment (and I'm not able do do it!) our projector just need a check of the level.

Jean-Michel,

Thanks for the links and no problem with your english, what should I say of mine...

Bye
Antonio

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-16-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also read the Dolby field bulletin No.218 available here. Which projector do you have?
Michael

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 04:39 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I've that Dolby bulletin. Unfortunately my analog reader doesn not have the gain jumper, only my digital one have it.
Analog one is cinemeccanica labeled...

Projector is Victoria 5 consolle.

Bye
Antonio

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today morning I've cheked the LED power. Following the Dolby procedure I've drop the LED current of approx 250mV.

Now the Dolby analog Gain is almost at maximum. Is it as it should be?
I thought that Dolby gain should stayed at 50%.

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: