Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Victoria X Odeon Dundee

Author Topic: Victoria X Odeon Dundee
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone in Scotland know what happened to the projection equipment that was on display in the Odeon Theme Bar at the former Odeon Multiplex (closed last year)in Dundee?.

While I was on holiday up there some years ago, I photgrahed a Cinemeccancia Victoria X 35/70mm on display and wondered what happened to this projector.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 04:35 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That closed before the Odeon/ABC merger if I recall.

AFAIK Sound Associates are storing all the kit removed from closed ABC sites, so it might follow that the stuff you mention is there too.

Danny Hart
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Danny Hart   Email Danny Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was something odd about the closure of Odeon at The Stack Leisure Park. Certain things had to be removed - other things had to stay, for instance, the screens, curtains and some of the furnishings were removed, but projection equipment had to stay. As far as I know, all of the projectors, sound racks, platters are still there in the boarded-up building.

I know the installation engineer - he also gathered and set-up the display in the bar. I’m seeing him (hopefully) on Sunday, so I’ll ask him what happened to it all.

Pete, when the ABC in Lothian Road in Edinburgh was closed, ALL the kit was moved to backstage at the Odeon in Clerk Street. It’s still sitting there too AFAIK. There is a LARGE unused backstage area there, and subsequently it now houses equipment from the closed ABC Falkirk and also Odeon Aberdeen.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 10:25 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the building and some of it's fixtures and fittings were leased, not owned by Odeon. That would explain why some of it stayed.

I know very well there is a huge empty space in Clerk Street, but I didn't know that any ABC/Odeon kit was stored there. Makes perfect sense, rather than truck it all the way 'dahn saff'. Probably the gear from ABC Kirkcaldy is recumbant in there too. Some guys from SA told me that they had loads of ex ABC kit in storage someplace, so I just assumed that it was all with them.

I seem to remember there being quite a bit of redundant equipment in Lothian Road when I worked there. Ross mechs and other stuff if my memory serves me right.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the surplus equipment around, I think I was extremely lucky to sell all my equipment to a good home, and is I know going to be looked after by a good engineer of the cinema company. My biggest fear was all the gear finishing up in a skip, as the freehold sale included all fixtures and fittings. Fortunately the developer was a kind man, and reasoned with my grief.

Pete, You mentioned Ross, as you well know a few around are still running. Where on earth do they go for spares and repairs, especially intermittent replacements ? Also Simplex and BTH.

Ben, There was, or still is, down South an 8 with xenon & platter. But I suspect you already know about this with your connections.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Bernard you were lucky to find good homes for your gear. There's loads of stuff around at the moment.

The Ross mechs in Lothian Road were in storage, and had been for years by the look of them. You'll know better than me when ABC ditched Ross for Phillips! I guess for any places still running Ross, BTH etc the only source for spares is scrapped machines. It may be possible with a bit of ingenuity to use sprockets and other bits from other makes, but AFAIK there is zero new spares availability these days. Personally I'll work on anything, I like a challenge, so getting an engineer to work on these wouldn't be a problem! Up here the only non new gear running is Westrex.
I understand you can get bits for Kalee again, and I think you can probably get most bits for older Simplex from Strong or Wolk in the US, but again there are very few Simplex around in the UK.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny: I too heard stories that all the equipment was left in the former Odeon, which seams strange, when most of it could be reused.

Bernard: I have not heard about the V8 for sale, could you tell me more, I might have a buyer for one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: