Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with a Prevost P93

Author Topic: Problem with a Prevost P93
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-11-2002 01:43 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original complaint was that the film wasn't running at the right speed (too slow). Also, the motor had to be given a "running start"...the operator would have to spin the flywheel by hand or else it would not start.

We changed out the start capacitor and the motor started up just fine. But after a while the speed would change and gradually, the film would slow down. Eventually, the film stopped altogether.

Next we went to look at the intermittent and discovered that the upper sight glass was busted and so oil wasn't getting distributed to the gears (or the intermittent).

I really do not have a lot of experience dealing with this model. This location is the only one that uses a non-Century projector.

Is there anything else to check while I'm looking at this thing? I reckon there could easily be other damage here after the oil problem.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-11-2002 07:09 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably have bearing problems since it has been running dry so long. P60 and 70 are tanks and run forever, the P93 is less forgiving.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-12-2002 06:24 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard:

Thanks for responding. Which bearing(s) in particular are you talking about? I really don't know a whole lot about the interior of these machines.

Thanks,
Manny.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 07:59 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this helps, but I've replaced LOTS of gears on Prevost P-55 models. The gear compartment ran in an oilbath with steel on either nylon or phenolic gears. I would assume that the P-93's are similar. Does anyone know for sure? If so, The gears were usually the lower sprocket main drive gear or the intermediate shutter drive gear. They are held onto the shafts with a collar and pins through the shafts. BIG fun without a pinpress.
If the machine has suffered a stripped gear, clean out the sump thoroughly. The P55 didn't use bearings, but oilfed bushings Like a Simplex.

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-12-2002 10:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, IIRC they are nylon and steel. They do not appear stripped. I think it just came to a halt gradually instead of a sudden jolt.

I have already removed the intermittent and sent it back for repair or replacement (not sure which).

As for the similarity to the P55...the P93 sits in an oil bath, too. Actually, it's more like a shower when you consider that the pump gets the oil where it needs to go. There's this creepy-looking "tree" that feeds the oil to each pair of gears.

The oil pump has a screen at the base to filter out any debris that might be in there. As a precaution, I have already drained the oil and cleaned the chamber and I will replenish it with fresh oil whenever it's ready to go again.

I will snap a pic next time I'm over there and email it to you if you're interested in seeing the interior of the chamber. (If anyone else is interested then it might make sense to post it here.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: