Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » leds for Strong Phase Controls (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: leds for Strong Phase Controls
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 12:40 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have learned from experience, over the last few years, that leds used as light sources for level-sensitive equipment, such as digital and analog soundheads, do fade over time and require occassional re-adjustment.

This problem, however is not limited just to soundheads, but also to such equipment, apparently as Strong phase controls. These units, which when new pay-out film with no problem, suffer from considerable drag as they get older.

Our experience has been that fooling around with the on-board pot to bring up the led level provides only a temporary cure, and soon a replacement phase control is needed.

To me, it seems a shame to have to replace the entire phase control assembly if only the led is at fault.

To this end, will Strong please make available a replacement led for this unit?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 07:22 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely (although I've never had any trouble with these as yet), the LED is an off the shelf device, available from any electronics supplier?

Rick Sanjurjo
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 07:47 AM      Profile for Rick Sanjurjo   Email Rick Sanjurjo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,

The only LED I have a had to replace is on the DMC, the replacement part number for that is 2468249. If you are having troulbe with the phase control let me know and I will get you a part number for that LED.

Rick

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-09-2002 09:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please post that part number here in the thread for other users who may have some need for it down the road.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-09-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2588 days since the last post.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have the part number forf these?
I've got a bunch laying around and would love to repair in-house...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2009 06:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a bunch of 6-year-old phase control boxes that had been removed from our brains because the technician couldn't get them to work properly. They replaced them with microswitches. I do not like microswitches, so I put the phase control boxes back into service. No problems! What matters most is the positioning of the box itself vs the actual LED. Don't play with the LED much if you don't have to. Sure, they won't last forever, but they can last at least 7-8 years without any issues easily.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2009 07:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i still prefer the micro switch

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-09-2009 08:13 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be surprised, Joe, if they crap out fairly soon. I'm with Gordon; put the microswitches in. It takes a little time, but they can be set to pay out without the film actually running against the 'guard' rollers around the head.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Using the right Microswitch I can get a microswitch equipped platter to run almost as smooth as a phase control platter can. I also have a mod that no one here has thought of that will get you 5 to 7 years out of your microswitches!!

By the way Joe, If those are the platters fomr SLC I AM the one that took those phase controls off...

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2009 09:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also have a mod that no one here has thought of that will get you 5 to 7 years out of your microswitches!!

Is that the "snubber" trick - using a cap and a resistor?

And if so, what were the values of each component so I can do the snubber trick on our switched brains..

thx -Monte

p.s. (true Joe, I also love phase controls over microswitch - for I have one platter that I do use phase controls on and never had a hitch with that platter concerning payout problems..and these controls are over 20 yrs old. ... )

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2009 10:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the platters I refer to are not ones from Salt Lake City. Plus, the old phase controls I have put back in have been running perfectly for nearly a year now. They don't even wobble. Most are completely still as they pay out. The microswitches stuck all the time. So much fewer problems with the phase control. Then again NO problems is always fewer than any problem. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Is that the "snubber" trick - using a cap and a resistor?

Nope. That actually does very little to prolong the life of the switch.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2009 01:17 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Converted all our carbon switched brains to micro switches in 1995 and haven't had one fail yet.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

The switches made back then were alot higher quality and since the advent of lead free contacts they don't last very long. Also, I bet you are still running switches that are tensioned for acetate film.... not for estar film. There IS a big difference there.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: