Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FP30 E troubles out there ?

Author Topic: FP30 E troubles out there ?
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2002 03:52 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Romours are, that Norwegian cinemas these days are taking out FP30E in big numbers, replacing them with FP30D.
Have we got any norwegian collegues online to tell about this, or anybody else, who will share their experiences with the shutterless wonder..?
So far, Kinoton has never given any of us any kind of disappointments (DP75 was a Philips invention), but of course, the "E" goes for something very new and very different...

I plan for replacing my Screen #2 Victoria 9 with a Kinoton, and have considered the "E" type, but now, i don't know.
Per

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-07-2002 04:13 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Romours are, that Norwegian cinemas these days are taking out FP30E in big numbers, replacing them with FP30D.
Have we got any norwegian collegues online to tell about this, or anybody else, who will share their experiences with the shutterless wonder..?
So far, Kinoton has never given any of us any kind of disappointments (DP75 was a Philips invention), but of course, the "E" goes for something very new and very different...

I have run the FP30D, but not the 'E', but I have heard only good reports of them. Do you know what the problem is claimed to be?

You describe the machine as 'shutterless', is this the case, I thought it still had a conventional shutter and sprockets, including the intermittant one, just driven differently. The only shutterless machines I know of are the Philips pulsed lamp ones from the '50s, and the Mechau with a rotating mirror drum system, from the '20s, I think. (Before my time)

Also, what is wrong with the FP75? I have never run one. I have heard quite a lot of people say they don't like them, but they never say why. ABC installed a fair number of them in the uk, I have seen several 70mm presentations from them, and everything looked, and sounded ok.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-07-2002 01:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our special venues and screening rooms have been using the FP-30E and FP-38E without the desire to take them out.

The "E" projectors do indeed have shutters they just are not tied to the rest of the projector except via the computer.

I'd put the picture out of the "E" projectors up againts just about anything making pictures, digital or otherwise.

From a simplicity standpoint, the "D" series make a lot of sense for conventional theatres.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-07-2002 10:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the FP30E, FP38E and FP75E quite well and have never had any significant problems with them. A very nice feature of the E series is that you can correct vertical image instability caused by slight eccentricity of the transport sprocket with a computer program.
Maybe the machines you heard about are earlier versions that were installed when the series was new. So it would be helpful if you could find out what the problems with those machines are.
Michael

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for Your answers.
Today, i have also been in phone contact to several film-techers both local and even one call from Norway, all assuring me about the liability of the FP30E and giving me an idea, how these rumours may have started. (Competition sometimes is very evil)
This has obviously nothing in it at all, and everyone, i have been in contact with after opening this topic, have been able to comfort me, telling only the best of the FP30E, and my chose for future projector is certain.
The Philips/Kinoton projectors have always been my vote - You may have noticed that, if You have been reading my earlier contributions to these forums - with top vote to my two loyal (42 year old) DP70, now serving me on 28th. year - still doing 4-5 shows every day, and the great support from Kinoton's Hamburg department, who are always there, if i get in trouble. -The FP30E therefore was without doubt my first choise, now the money are there for a new projector, -but of course i got scared by hearing a ghost story like the one, starting this topic. Without Film-Tech (digital !) i would still have been in doubt - now i'm not ! -Thanks !!
I am ordering my FP30E now for installation autumn 2002, and i know from all i've read and heard the last couple of days from kind film-techers, that i will not be sorry.

Per

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: