Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie FC-1 Help

Author Topic: Christie FC-1 Help
Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 01:18 AM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello, this is a pretty simple question i think, I aquired 2 old FC-1 from an old theater that was closed down that we got to 'go through' and "scavage". the media cleaners were in terrible shape and after using the search feature here, i found some very helpful info to get them into working order, i.e dry rotted o-rings along with rubber tubes on the take up reels,plus other things, on the inside it had what appeared to be wheel bearing grease put there before wheel bearings were invented, it was so hard it would not turn, needless to say they now turn, yet more degreasing will have to be done along with repairing the chain in one.(it was broke) this brings me to my question. Does the FC-1 take up slower than the kelmars? it seems it barely moves and may rotate approx. 15-20 (mabey less) during a show. The large wheel moves freely and doesnt slip on the film (used search engine for that one!) but could not find anything comparing the speed. and also any tips on getting the hard candy like grease from the nooks and crannies in there, only so much i could do by hand..
Thanks,
brooks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2002 03:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the FC-1 cleaners definitely run slower than the first generation of chain driven Kelmars. The later model Kelmars with the plastic gears turn extra fast. Of course this means with media rolls of extra-long width you can get about 4 times the movies worth on them.

The FC-1 also has a tendency to not start turning for about 30 seconds worth of film. I generally recommend once new pads are loaded to spin the wheel a few times.

Getting all of that nasty grease out of there simply takes time. A lot of time.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 10:44 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it, I have the same FC1 cleaner. I think it's a Kelmar even though it has the Christie name on it. As for repairing the chain, check what hardware stores have that same type of chain.
If possible take the cleaner there & have them install or repair it.
Otherwise you'll need wire cutters & a pair of long nose pliers.

Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies,
I have 2 of the plastic geared kelmars and just didnt think that there was that much difference between the two( till i got it open), ive checked around but is there any place that i can get parts for the ol' FC-1? I think ive talked my GM into ordering some (chain, rubber tubes and the top part of the take up reel assm.) but he wants parts numbers to order them by not my discription or a picture, any diagrams out there?
anyway thanks for the help as always
brooks

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2002 12:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a little known website called Film-Tech that hosts a ton of manuals. There you will find the manual with parts list under "miscellaneous".

Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2002 12:10 AM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol i knew id get that,
saw that, printed it, and it was given to him first before i posted this, but he asked that i have the FC-1 parts not the kelmar i tried to tell him is the same (basically) but.... i think he wants to sound like he knows what hes talking about when he calls his supplier (have no idea who that might be) but ill look again mabey i missed the FC-1 manual,
thanks brad

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2002 12:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie doesn't make them any more. They haven't for a LONG LONG time. The parts are interchangeable. Just call Kelmar.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-06-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were made for Christie by Kelmars machining company that also made the christie projectors

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-07-2002 02:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....that also made the christie projectors

You say this sentence in the past-tense. Is Christie making their own projectors now?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: