Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby cards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby cards
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can find a full list of all the cards, past and present, which Dolby has made for cinema use, with Cat numbers, descriptions, and which processors they can be used in? Also, what the differences were between the various revisions of a card.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-04-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt such a list exists in such a fashion.

Some cards, like the Cat. 22, is a cinema card (used in the 364, CP-50, CP-100 and CP-200) but also pro-sound card.

You could make your own list by just going through each processor beginning with the 364 and E2 combination, working your way to the CP-100, then the CP-50, move on to the CP-200, the CP-55, CP-65, CP-500, CP-45, CP-650. Then you have all of the add on items like the remotes, Digital adapters, surround adapters...etc.

Good luck,

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 05:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could make your own list by just going through each processor beginning with the 364 and E2 combination, working your way to the CP-100, then the CP-50, move on to the CP-200, the CP-55, CP-65, CP-500, CP-45, CP-650. Then you have all of the add on items like the remotes, Digital adapters, surround adapters...etc.

It isn't easy, The Dolby site has info on current products only, and only complete processors amd adapters, not the actual cards. Some of the cards, such as the Cat 22, 222, 64, 150 280 etc. I know, but others I have no idea. The Dolby manuals on the Film-Tech site have some info, but not everything. Suppliers of second-hand equipment often list cards they have available, but only by Cat number. There are many that I have never heard of, and there are often several revisions of a card available, again with no indication of what the differences are. I was hoping here would be a definitive list on line somewhere.

At the moment I am looking for a Cat 93, but no one seems to have one of those. Someone else was advertising for one of these on the wanted/For sale forum, I don't know if he managed to find one.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 06:15 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

I would say the best (inforned) person would be Dion Hanson (former Dolby UK) and may well put in touch with some one for the cat 93 cards.

I belive he has a web site under his company name called Cineman, there was a advert in last years Cinema Technology.

Also try Future Projections in London as they may have some.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-04-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want, post a question on the forum or via e-mail to me...I know most of the cards, particularly the older ones off the top of my head.

For what it's worth, I own a Cat. 93 (12KHz switch card for 35mm 4-track magnetic).

I believe Dolby still has one in stock and it wasn't too pricey. Dolby seems to be revamping their pricing based on current manufacturing costs and desired mark ups. I doubt that when the last Cat. 93 is sold they will make anymore. Personally, I have found the Cat. 93's filter for killing the 12KHz tone to be not good enough...I could CLEARLY hear it still.

Steve

------------------

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-05-2002 12:00 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys must be psychic or something! This is the second topic that came up while I was away that relates to the service call I was making...

While I was over in Freeport, I noticed a number of the CP-45 units were in "Bypass" mode. It turns out that one of the projectionists must've switched them over by accident (or out of total ignorance) because nothing was wrong with any of them.

However, in my search for "something wrong" I went looking for the little fuse on the 511 (?) board....Despite the fact that they all had the little Ziploc baggie with the spare fuses inside, none of the boards in these particular units had a space for such a fuse!

What gives?

Are there various manifestations of the Cat. 511 board?

~Manny (returning to theatres for the last time this century)

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 01:50 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someplace I had a list from Dolby UK, something to do with repair charges on current and past boards. If I can find it (don't hold your breath) I'll scan it and pass ti on.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-06-2002 03:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, obviously by the answers already given, you can see that this will be a project not all that easy to accomplish. I would approach this a bit more pragmatically. First I would ask myself, why do I really need a list that is so comprehensive? If it is just a nice thing to have, then after I saw the difficulty in getting all this information, I would ask, but is it something I really NEED? Then I would compile a list of the boards that I would reasonably need to know now and possibly in the future while leaving the rest to the Dolby historians. As an example, will you really ever need to know the card Cat numbers in the original Dolby A N/R unit for the recording studios?

Frank

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2002 06:24 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I think you're right. I was hoping that there would be a readily-accessable list somewhere, but it seems not.

One problem I have, is that I never know which cards I might need to know about in the future, a few days ago I wouldn't have thought I needed to know about the Cat 93 surround switch module for the mag pre amp unit, now I need to find one of these.

I think I will start making my own list, and add to it any card I hear about, just in case I need to know about it sometime.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-06-2002 10:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you might try doing is just to pose a question here on the forums with what it is you want to do. Let us worry about the mechanics of accomplishing it. You will, no doubt, be assaulted with several options and opinions for accomplishing any particular project.

For instance...if you posed the question of wanting to run 35mm 4-track magnetic films with your Dolby CP-200 processor, "what do I need?" That question would eventually get you to the Cat. 93.

Try to always state the equipment you have though. For instance, if you posed the same question but had a Dolby CP-65 or CP-500 or an Ultra, Smart or Panastereo brand processor. The suggestion may not even include the Dolby preamp and Cat. 93 switch card. The are other obsolete 35mm magnetic stuff like the SMART SMP-430 or the rather new Panastereo CSP-4600 that may suite your needs better and is readily available.

Steve

------------------

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-07-2002 04:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve said:

quote:
I have found the Cat. 93's filter for killing the 12KHz tone to be not good enough...I could CLEARLY hear it still.

Acording to the short section on the Cat 93 in the MPU-1 manual, the low pass filter should pass the signal up to 8kHz. It doesn't say how sharply it should cut above that, but it shouldn't be difficult to get enough dBs down at 12 kHz that you couldn't hear the tone. If you can hear it, there would seem to be three possible explanations:

1. Your Cat 93 is faulty. Have you heard another one?

2. The Cat 93 is badly designed.

3. The film had a tone on it at the wrong frequency. Hove you heard it with more than one film.

Do you know which of these is the case? Or is it something else, which I haven't thought of?

Do you know at what level the tone should be recorded on the film?

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-07-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good questions!

Unfortunately, I'd say it just isn't the best of designed cards. Also, most surround arrays back then were simple 8" speakers with less than steller response. On a modern system that will be flat out to 20KHz, it will be much more apparant. I have heard at least 3 Cat. 93s running different films and I have always noted and was botherd by the 12KHz tone. It is substantially reduced but not enough for me.

Now another person in the room when I remarked on the tone said he couldn't hear it (he was a bit older than I...still is).

One thing the Panastereo CSP-4600 has in it is a notch filter plus a user selectable 8KHz low-pass filter to kill it off.

Steve

------------------

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-07-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracefully aging Steve remarked:
>(he was a bit older than I...still is)

Not as a percentage!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2002 10:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Mr Guttag,
Lets see how well polished you are on your Dolby card numbers....Here is a question that you may or may not know the answer to. If you know the answer then I promise to stop making fun of your shoes at Vegas......But if you don't you'd better showup barefooted .
What is a CAT 90? And no paging Lonnie in the middle of the night to get the answer!
If no one can guess this I'll post the answer in a day or so...or after everyone's had enough fun with it.
Employees of Dolby Labs are automatically disqualified from this contest. Offer void where prohibited!
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-07-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mr Furley,
I found a list from a Swedish equipment dealer which lists the cards, their functions, and accessories for currently available processors. While it is obviously not complete, it might be a good starting point to draw up a complete overview. I will send it to you by eMail.
Michael

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: