Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Photodiode / cell suggestions

Author Topic: Photodiode / cell suggestions
David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have a bash at fitting a stereo cell to my Microcine portable. Currently it has a mono cell and mono integrated amp, but I'm hooking that up to a switch so I can switch the cell output to an external amp. While I'm at it I may as well fit an extra cell (especially since I can fit the new cells on ther reverse of the shaft and leave the current cell in place in case it all goes horribly wrong...) Anyone got any good tips for specific photo diodes to use? Just how bad would the noise be if I was to take the output from the projector via 1.5m of reasonable cable to an external amp - is it crucial that I shove a stereo preamp in projector? Would a standard phono preamp suffice in that case?

Thanks for any advice folks!

David

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A phono preamp will have a RIAA curve for eq so it will roll off a lot of highs worse than the academy curve also its input impedance is very high the cell would like to see a virtual ground or at least a very low impedance
Also the cell must be close to the film plane to get any degree of seperation
Microcine has stereo cells available

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 11:55 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon. I'm planning on rotating the shaft 180 degress, getting it ground flat to the same depth as the mono side and fitting the new cell(s) on there. The cells from Microcine seem somewhat expensive (aren't they like $300?) - although this includes the preamp. Have you seen the cells as supplied by Microcine first hand? It may be that the $300 includes the shaft and plate and a VERY good preamp...

Thanks

David

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 02:46 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has a raw stereo cell chip 33008 which as a list price of $75.00 / 47.77 GBP / 75.75 Euro if you are into building something.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 05:56 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use some mic preamplifier to amplify the signal. I have succesfully used the following preamp: Vivanco MA 222. It has a variable impedance and two inputs/outputs L&R. Just go to www.vivanco.com and search for MA 222.

You can also use a mixer, but then you need to pay attention to the input impedance (or hope for the best...). You should buy that vivanco and put the output signal to the mixer's cd input or directly to you're amplifier.

The cable length isn't a real issue. Make you're own mic cable's.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-04-2002 07:12 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would do it right and spring for the $300 upgrade. It will usually work better and in the end be well worth it. But after all, I just had payday.

Josh

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 10:41 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I've decided to cough up the dough and buy the Microcine parts (assuming that $300 gets what I need for the job...). With that in mind I need to run the output from the preamp to an external amp since the internal one is mono. There are situations though where I'll probably still want to use the internal amp, so I hooked the preamp output up to a switch so I could switch between internal and external amplification. Trouble is, though the internal amp sounds great (seems to have improved since I rewired the cell), if I route the output through a hi fi amp it sounds absolutely dreadful...what have I overlooked?! I recently bought a CP50 but I wouldn't expect that'd make any difference to a mono source - or am I wrong? Should it go via the CP50 to the amp? I'm still learning when it comes to setting up my sound - as you can probably tell!!!

David

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-08-2002 10:53 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Assuming that the kit comes with a new preamp, why are you trying to rewire the old one if it will be taken out anyway? That cp50 of yours should have a pair of cell preamps in it so you could run the cell leads to the CP50 and have better sound than anything homebrew ever would.

just a though,

Josh

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 11:37 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rewired the old cell when I figured that with the new one coming in at $300 it might be a little while before I get one! (...and it takes time to get stuff from Microcine )

Great tip about the CP50 - I hadn't realised it'd have a direct cell input.

David

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 11:51 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you've wired the preamp output to another preamp input. Yup, that'll sound like hell, all right. The levels will just overload the preamp and it will clip like crazy. Only wire the preamp out to the input of a power amp.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-08-2002 03:10 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah, IC well, in the mean time, you'll have a good sounding mono setup. We all started somewhere.

Josh

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John - odd thing is, it sounded distorted both through the the phono preamp direct from the cell and via the aux input from the projector preamp (but sounds great through the projector amp...). Oh well - now that I'm aware of the cell inputs on the CP50 I'll be using that instead (thanks Josh )

David

Rick Sanjurjo
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 08:02 AM      Profile for Rick Sanjurjo   Email Rick Sanjurjo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

It will sound funny through a phone preamp because it adds an equalization curve intended for use on records. An aux input is normally intended for line level signals that the solar cell is not, so that will also sound funny if it works at all. The cell inputs on the CP50 are the way to go.

Rick

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-09-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could use the phono input, but you would have to turn the bass down, as the RIAA curve emphasises the bottom end and cuts the treble.

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: