Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Phase Control (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong Phase Control
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-29-2002 10:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to inherit 4 Strong platter systems with phase control. So I have a few questions:

Did they ever make phase control platters with non-removable brains?

If yes, can they be upgraded to removable brains?

Are there setup issues with these things? It has been awhile since I worked with the phase control model, and I don't remember there being any setup procedures other that putting them together and locationg and AC outlet to supply the needed power, but I figured I'd ask anyway. The only thing I remember is that a deck would start spinning slowly, and I'd come in to see that Ian had removed the "box" on the brain to allow ambient light to shine onto the LED and it would actually keep up until we got a new brain.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe:

The phase control was introduced originally to replace the "carbon switch" module on the old style control plates. The vast majority of Strong/Potts platters with phase control plates are removable. If a person had an early model platter with the non-removable control plates (with microswitches), they could be retrofitted with phase control units regardless if the platter was fitted with removable control plates or not. When your new (to your theater) platters arrive and if they don't have removable cotrol plates, order 1 of # 2357 Control Plate Plug-in Adapter (goes on the control plate, list price of $45) and 1 of # 2359 Arm Spindle Plug-in Retrofit (goes on the deck arm, list price of $65).This will convert one deck. When you put on #2359, you'll need a 15/16" wrench and tighten the nut REAL TIGHT!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2002 01:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, thank you Ken. Can you order phase control decks or microswitch brand new from Strong when you buy an entire new platter system? I ask because we are getting 6 platters, 2 of them new from Strong. I was just wondering if the SDSC (or whatever it's called) is the default platter. I wouldn't have a problem if it were, but the payout units/brains/control plates wouldn't be compatible bewteen units I am assuming.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 01:58 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe:

Yes, you can get either microswitch or phase control platter systems from Strong/Potts. Here's the platter systems available:

ALPHA microswitch: economy model

ALPHA phase control: mid-grade model

SCDC control: top-of-the-line model

The Alpha phase control and microswitch control plates are directly interchangeable with each other (even on the same platter system). However, SCDC control plates can only be used on SCDC platter systems.

P.s. I know someone who'd love to have your old Super Platters.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 02:14 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Could you explain me the procedure to timing the Alpha platters. I've been tryed to adjust the 5-deck Strong platters that we have in each booth, but anytime the center platter turn too slowly.

One question more:
What do you think about the Strong DMC platters ? for me they are the best to make brainwarp an eject the entire film on the floor

May I become a real benefit if I uprade them to SCDC control ?

Thanks

------------------
Jean-Michel Grin - Europlex Cinemas (Switzerland)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2002 02:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, your "Super" platters were upgraded (at least a few of them were) to Strong microswitch brains. Can these be modified to work with your new Strongs? (I'm actually asking Ken here, but you'll have to fill in the specifics.)

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 02:27 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The deck timing procedure for the 5 deck is explained in Product Information Bulletin 2994 here on the manuals page under PLATTERS: Strong Alpha 5 Deck.

The DMC platter was replaced by the SCDC platter and there is a retrofit kit available from Strong to convert the DMC into an SCDC. Go to www.strong-cinema.com and download Field Service Bulletin number SB-0016 which details the parts you need to do the conversion.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2002 03:59 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad-

I hope not. I want at least phase control brains, which are variable, on every platter, along with removable brains. The Strong brains on the ORCs are neither.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 09:11 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The phase control unit is a direct replacement for the microswitch and it bolts on and is wired the same as the microswitch. I don't have a schematic to the Super Platter (either the orange ORC or blue CFS), but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Check the arm spindle diameter of the orange ORC platter as I think it might be larger than a Strong.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 09:39 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe,

Congrats on getting new platters. Any idea on what is to become of the ORC's? Might know a few people looking for boat anchors. So what is the next step for the Tamarac? I am glad to see someone is putting money into a theatre they have taking over. Much more than I can say for my company. Any improvements we make are being paid for out of petty cash over time which limits how much improvement I can make at one time. My next big thing is to get rid of the crappy outdated and never useful Kintek stuff and replace with either Ultra Stereo or Dolby equipment.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The brains/control plates are the exact same size as the ones used on real Strong platters. In fact they are just a tad small for the ORC, though I haven't seen any film drop into the slot (yet).

If anyone wants the ORCs (and like 5 or 6 additional dead motors) then they will have to send the moving company to come pick them up. I also don't what Madstone wants to charge for them. I'll talk to them about it because we certainly can't keep them on site forever!

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 11:03 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that, over time, the phase controls seem to feed not as well as when they were new. I assume that this is due to the "led dimming over time" factor that we have seen in sound equipment using led's.

Is a replacent led available to save the cost of buying a whole new phase control?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-30-2002 11:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also I have found that the polarity of the DC output of the phase control to be blocked by the diode in some motors as well due to internal wiring of the post

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 12:00 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LED is an ordinary red led.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-25-2005 09:34 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 909 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: