Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 35 intermittent

Author Topic: Simplex 35 intermittent
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 07:11 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at a booth which is supposed to be "almost ready to go", & the intermittent was out of one of the projectors.

When I chased it down, it had a spot chewed out of the nylon main drive gear.

1. What may have caused that? Is it some familiar catastrophe?
2. Is the main drive gear in the Simplex 35 intermittent field-replaceable? Or should the whole thing be rebuilt?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2002 09:35 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing should be sent in and rebuilt. If this was a new install with new equipment, the intermittent could of had a defect in the star shaft that caused it to bind causing the nylon gear to be stripped out. this can also happen if something is jammed in the intermittent sprocket like a tooth brush or something.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have replaced that gear in the field. It is pretty well self-evident as to how it comes out. It is quite possible that, as Darryl says that it is the result of a temporary binding such as may be caused by a tooth-brush while cleaning.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 03:02 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for talking to my conscience, guys.
Since I don't know why or when it came out, off it goes for rebuild.
My left brain thanks you, my lazy behind grumbles.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-30-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These "built in" intermittent oil pump gears are actually meant to act like fuses and let go to save the rest of the gear train in the machine if a bind up occurs. Total cost of these two gears is about 80 bucks list. It may have happened from a film pile up, or it may have simply seized up due to lack of oil, causing tht movement to lock up and fail. If you dismantle the movement and the star and cam turns freely in their halfs of the cases then it was probably caused by a film pile up. However, if the star is seized and will not turn at all, you will have to remove the outer bearing and sprocket and have the star wheel(or cam) carefully pressed out of its bore. If you carefully examine the oil spiral on the star wheel(or cam) shaft you may find a small piece of metal shaving near the small end of the spiral. I've seen this many times and its usually what causes the star to seize in its bore. For temporary measures you can clean up the star wheel(or cam) and its bore, replace the gears and it will probably run fine as long as none of the radius of the star has been bent. For the long haul though, and if you have about 800.00 laying around to spend, it should be rebuilt by a competent technician to ensure the best on-screen performance.
Mark @ GTS
(From New Bosie Office)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-31-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. Unless you know what caused the gear failure, it should be looked at very carefully.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul....What happened to the weenie?????????????????
Mark

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is, he finally ate it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-31-2002 10:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeeze, Mark. I don't know.

Rick, there was a theatre chain I used to work for that was not too good. Seems like the management made us eat alot of them in the course of our duties.

Actually, I like this picture better. I don't look like an old grump anymore. It makes me look much younger.

This picture is one Josh took of me while we were sitting at the cafeteria at Strong International. It reminds me of the Maytag Repairman. Notice my hat is on backwards - the way lots of kids wear them these days. Us old Senior Citizens gotta crack up once in a while.

John Wilmers gave each of us one with the Century Logo. The back of the hat says "Gear Driven."

ooooOOOOoooo----The Christie folks won't like that one.

I'll bet the Christie folk's hat says, "Have a gearless day."

Or, maybe the Cinemashakia folk's hats will say, "Have a Shaky Day."

Quite possible, Simplex's hat will say, "Have a Oily Day."

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 01:05 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John Wilmers gave each of us one with the Century Logo. The back of the hat says "Gear Driven."

Gots to have one! I sure miss & now greatly respect & admire the Century's I worked with.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: