Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weaving Image On Screen

Author Topic: Weaving Image On Screen
Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 04:19 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im using Christie P35C projectors and im having a weaving problem on one screen and ive already aligned the lateral guide rollers twice to see if that may be the problem but the problem persists. I think it might be an exhaust fan going but i was wondering if there are any other things i can look at ?

Thanks,
Glenn

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 12:01 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked your intermittent sprocket and mechanism for lateral movement?

Bob
The Old Showman

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you are. in the heart of the bay area, which had some of the great film people, witness Paramount Theatre,Oakland and you`re wondering if the exhaust fan is causing lateral movement on the screen. You must be employed by UA.

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 11:44 AM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

Exhaust fans can cause lateral movement on screen especially in scope format. Due to the image being pulled apart so much by the lens. Ive seen it before and im betting this is the problem but i wanted info on other things to look at just in case it might be something else. In fact my tech changed out an exhaust not to long ago on one of my other houses and the picture became remarkably steady with know lateral movement.

In the future why dont you offer some help instead of wise ass remarks.

Glenn

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were are those smiley faces

If we are talking about side movement (weave) another problem could be a loose lens turret or lens mount. The vibrations from a bad Exhaust fan on the console could be causing the lens to move. Just a thought.

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

Exhaust fans can cause lateral movement on screen especially in scope format. Due to the image being pulled apart so much by the lens. Ive seen it before and im betting this is the problem but i wanted info on other things to look at just in case it might be something else. In fact my tech changed out an exhaust not to long ago on one of my other houses and the picture became remarkably steady with know lateral movement.

In the future why dont you offer some help instead of wise ass remarks.

Glenn

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2002 12:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How strange, wonder if I should post my message again.

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help Darryl. I will look into that when i get in on Monday along with the intermittent movement.

Glenn

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2002 02:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
...and Internet Explorer strikes again!

Glenn, I've seen this from exhaust fans as well. You can try making a blower mount cushion, so to say, from foam tape or whatever will work. There are some tips on this in the Christie tips section.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 04:27 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

I do not think that a persons place of employment has any bearing on thier knowledge or experience.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 06:29 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Koch,

The opening of this section requires every entrant to agree that
"The posts made here are for educational as well as entertainment purposes and as such anyone viewing this portion of the website must accept these views as statements of the author of that opinion and agrees to release the authors from any and all liability."

I trust that you will realize that there are 'real people' reading these postings and that we all have feelings. I have been called some names on here and it indeed hurts. Please help us clean up the snipes and begin offering helpful postings.

Sincerely, KEN

Everyone has something positive to add to the exhibition industry. We want to hear from every contributor without prejudice.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Kenneth:

Amen to the above.

BTW, while many of our Film-tech photos show us with objects, I'm happy to see yours is not of the factory made variety, but an original piece of practical lighting art. And worthy in design of a Mondrian musuem piece! Have you any more such photos on a web site?

Gerard

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 10:12 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after a closer inspection today i noticed a few things -

1. Lens had a little play in the collar. Tightned and problem persisted.
2. Fans are very old inside and could be the culprit and one of the contributing factors.
3. The Ultramittent does have some significant lateral play. So my tech was e-mailed and I asked him to check on it while he's fixing up something else this week.

Thanks for helping me narrow down the problem everyone or at least what looks like the culprit.

Glenn

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 11:23 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an exhaust fan that caused a LOT of shake in the picture. My boss looked at me funny when I told him that's what I thought it was....... Changed the fan, and no more shake.... Love it when I'm right ..... doesn't happen as often as I'd like though

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: