Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Heat Filter Orientation

Author Topic: Heat Filter Orientation
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-25-2002 01:59 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I finally got heat filters for an Orc 4500W lamphouse (they came with no instructions of course). The filters have a small paper dot on one corner of the class. Should I assume that the dot is an indication of how the glass is to be orientated in the holder? Dot towards the bulb, dot away from the bulb? Or doesn't it matter at all which way they are facing?

If it would be better to talk to the manufacturer to get an answer, does anyone know if ORCON is still in business and if so, do you have a number I can call to get an answer.

And then if these filters do need to be oriented in a particular way, is there a way to tell by looking at the glass itself, because the other machine has filters with no marks on them at all and I have just been putting the glass into the holder any which way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-25-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Identify the coated side of the glass by holding the glass so as to see a light reflected off the surface. The coated side goes toward the heat source (lamp).

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-25-2002 11:28 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Phil; I did look every which way and BOTH sides look like they are coated, or at least there is nothing that distinguishes one side from the other - both have that coated look. I guess that's why they stick a dot on one side. Anyway, a guy at Strong said the dot goes toward the lamphouse -- although I got the feeling he was guessing the same as me (these are not Strong filters, unless Strong bought up ORCON).

So the new filters that have the dot -- that's fine, but now I am anxious about the other lamphouse -- those filters have no dot an no distinguishing coating -- like I said, both sides look identical. How to tell which way they go? I suppose I could stick a heat probe in the gate and see which side reduces the temperature the most. Seems like that's a lot of work when the company could have easily etched THIS SIDE TOWARD LAMP if it were THAT critical.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-26-2002 02:23 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm...although I have never seen it, I suppose it is possible to coat both sides of the glass...why? I don't know.

The idea is that the IR coating reflects the heat back away from the film without going through the filter "glass". In higher-power lamps (7kW, 10kW, 12kW, 15kW, 20kW), if the heat is reflected through the filter glass, it will overheat and crack the filter.

Most times the "hot" or lamp side is somehow marked. That is the dot or the arrow or the "Towards Lamphouse" sign.

Sorry, that's all I know....

>>> Phil

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just have a look on this service bulletin from Strong int. Maybe this can help you... http://www.strong-cinema.com/bulletins/service_bulletins/SB-0013.pdf

Good Luck !

------------------
Jean-Michel Grin - Europlex Cinemas (Switzerland)

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 07:54 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank -- that dot should be towards the lamphouse. Most coated filters, if marked, would orient the mark towards the light source.

That bulletin on our website might help. Touch the tip of a pencil to the glass surface. If the pencil seems to actually contact its image, that's the coated surface. If the image doesn't touch but looks to be about the thickness of the glass away from the pencil tip, that indicates the coated surface is on the other side.

Yes, Strong bought what there was of ORC back in '93, though what we really coveted was the Century Projector line.

Pat

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-26-2002 08:02 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"coveted was the Century Projector line." And I always thought it was to get the ORC platter design

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-26-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Dot to the lamphouse toward the lamp it is. As for the other lamphouse with the glass that seems to be coated on both sides and no mark, well, it's working fine, the film isn't embossing, so I am leaving it be.

Frank

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 07:28 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon -- I'm hurt. You should know it was Optimax...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-27-2002 08:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pat said"Gordon -- I'm hurt. You should know it was Optimax"
That is good to know pat I am installing 8 of them of various vintages.
Since you like them so well maybe you can come up here and help align them

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-27-2002 10:39 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last Optimax we removed from a client's multiplex his staff technician promptly chopped them apart so his boss would not get ideas of recycling them We did take three of them, threw out the interior parts, built an internal platform to hold a Cinemeccanica light module and reinstalled them in that client's circuit. He could not believe the 100% increase in light output, but then again technology and low bulb costs make this 25 year old concept not necessary.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon -- sounds like fun, actually, a little different from a normal day. Probably more frustrating, too.

We have done a couple conversions to Horizontal lamps in those consoles using our standard Strong optics. What a difference. It is not a friendly conversion, however.

Pat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: