Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » turret not movin' what da heck?

Author Topic: turret not movin' what da heck?
Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 10:08 AM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
circa 1995: SPA 7 automation, strong TU2020DC turret (i think). sooo, yeah, i push the flat/scope switch and nothing happens. The ghost of the theatre hasn't been around lately. so, i can't really blame her... any ideas?

thanks,
mike

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 10:14 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the connections on the back of the switch and the TU2020 Curcuit to be sure there is not a loose wire? Checked the Fuses on the TU2020 sequencer or put a Continuity checker across the switch to see if you are getting contact aross both terminals of the switch? My guess you might want to start there first.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
checked the connections, yes. checked the fuses connected to the board located behind the spa 7 pannel (i think that's what you mean by sequencer). what exactly is a continuity checker?

thanks for the prompt reply,

mike

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 10:35 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For checking continuity you can use any cheap Radio Shack (you should pardon the expression) Volt Ohm Meter, or even one of those fat probes with a penlight cell and bulb in it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-23-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TU-2000 series uses a constantly driven motor to hold the turret in place, if I'm not mistaken.

There's a clutch/gear assembly that drives the turret. Take the half-circle shaped guard off the bottom/side of the turret and look in there.

Make sure the motor runs. (It gets pretty hot from running constantly.) If not, check for voltage to see if the automation is "asking" it to run. If there is, then you may have to replace the motor. Otherwise, follow the trail backwards to the controller to see if the problem lies there.

If the motor IS running, check the clutch/gear mechanism to see if it hasn't worn out or come loose. Sometimes the motor will be running as it should but the shaft will just spin loose, thereby not turning the turret as it should. It MAY be something simple as taking the gear off, checking the shaft and the "mesh" of the parts and reinstalling them in the correct way.

If I remember right, there's a control box that runs the turret and aperture changer. The problem could lie there. See if your automation is "asking" the control box to move the turret. If not, check your automation to see if it is "asking" the control box to "ask" the turret to move. One good clue to tell if it's the control box or the automation is to look at the aperture changer. When you flip the switch on the console, does the aperture changer work? If so, then the control box is probably working.

There ought to be a red "reset" button on the front of the turret control box. (The same one that has the switch to open the turret.) Pressing that should cause the turret/aperture to flip-flop. If it doesn't then chances are that the problem lies in the control.

In my experience, if it's nothing that I mentioned above, it could be something as simple as a loose wire or a blown fuse. Start there. It's always best to check the easy things first.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your insight Randy. hopefully i can get to it soon.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 05:06 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi !
Check the switch Normal / Treahd situed below the turret side of the "reset" button. I've have experienced problems with this one, (The turret dosen't wanted to open an close automaticaly) the switch was burned. It's better to replace then by a 10 Amperes miniature switch,. I have replaced them two times by a standard switch and the trouble persist, but to end I put a 10 Amperes model. I'ts work fine !
Check the RF suppression capacitors and the connections at the plug of the motors. they can break by fatigue when the turret open and close constantenlly.
Good Luck

PS Sorry for my weak English !

------------------
Jean-Michel Grin - Europlex Cinemas (Switzerland)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-23-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the aperture changes but the lens does not, most likely it is either a bad motor or a bad wire going to the motor. you either have a gear or a rubber clutch that drives the turret. If your turret is the type that swings open when the lens changes it has the gear. If it the type that shanges lenses without opening it has the rubber clutch. if it is the later type have you tried pulling the turret release lever at the top of the turret to see if the lenses free spin. If you have this type and you pull that lever back, if the motor is working the lenses will move. The coil in this relief lever could be bad not allowing the turret to spin to the next position. There also could be a bad control board for these type of turrets.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: