Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Timing CFS super platters

Author Topic: Timing CFS super platters
Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my platters in my 4 screen are those infamous blue CFS Super Platters. I've been working with those bitches for about 6 years now, so I know them pretty well. The thing that bothers me is the timing procedure in the manual. Surely there is a better procedure for timing these platters than this. Basically it involves sticking bits of tape to each deck, then guessing if the centre deck revolves within 3-4 seconds, then adjusting the other decks to the same speed, etc..

It's a joke, it must be. The manual is here on film-tech, in the manuals section under platters, then CFS super platter. The section in the manual regarding timing is 3.4

There must be a better way of timing these platters. They are running great just now, but I'd rather get the knowledge now, just in case!

Hopefully Paul, you may help, From an earlier post of yours I removed those awkward roller arms from the MUT's, I never use the top or bottom decks for mk/up breakdown either!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-22-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All that is really required to 'time' a Blue Super Platter or a NSP-3 is to make sure that the microswitch operates with a minimum of payout arm throw, and that the rubber on the rollers is firmly gripping the platter decks without excessive tension or slippage. The 'timing with tape' method is ludicrous.

Another cure would to be to get AW3s or Strong platters

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-23-2002 01:36 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Another cure would to be to get AW3s or Strong platters"

Yeah and then you can put a piece of tape on each of the Strong decks and spin them ten times each (or a hundred times).

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 04:54 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron is so correct on timing those dogs.
I found there is no timing when I ran them for several years. I did pretty much what Aaron said.
The theatre I worked at with those crappy Super Platters has been closed now and I really, really hope the platters are sitting at the bottom of Pget Sound.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 08:06 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can just feel the LOVE for the CFS/ORC Shitty Pla.... I mean Super Platters here If you can get your hands on some AW3's for a decent price, I would have to 3rd Aaron and Peter with replacing them.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-23-2002 08:54 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG!!! They still run??? I mean they are great for creating an earthquake but for running film? DEAR GOD NO!!!

Really though, kill them. Just kill them. Put them out of thier misery. The noise they make is them saying "PLEASE KILL ME"!!!

No but really, I love em. Theyre great!

Dave

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 11:20 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another place to check if the SPs aren't spinning properly is the motor bracket. If its too tight against the deck, it bogs down. There are two bolts that connect the motor to the bracket with large rubber stoppers in between. A little adjusting there makes a big difference.

-adam the super platter man.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Another cure would to be to get AW3s or Strong platters"

That would be nice, unfortunately I can't even get the bean counters to buy me a Media Cleaner to Filmguard my prints, never mind upgrading my basic gear

Never mind, We can all dream. It's all about making the best of what we have, and those CFS platters are all I have and that is not going to change anytime soon.

A couple of good tips up there, mostly stuff I already knew but had forgotten. My platters are running really cool just now, but that's mainly because over the years you kinda learn how to tweak... A little tweak here.. a bit there... On the two allen key adjustments on the motor rollers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: