Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lens size?

Author Topic: Lens size?
Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 04:29 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a five inch primary lens on my scope lens. It's a kollmorgen Super Snaplite and it's a piece of . Can anyone tell me what the metric equivalent is so Brad can see if he has one that I can buy? And in the event that he doesn't, would anyone else have an Isco lens of this size for me?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-22-2002 04:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
5 inches is 127mm.

Having said that, I would turn around and use Schneider's lens calculator to make sure I was purchasing the right size for my particular application. It's in the Manuals section under "Miscellaneous Programs".

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, get the following measurements.

Projection throw, from projector gate to screen.
The scrren height and width.

Calculate yourself the lens size with the lens calculator program and then give the same details to the lens supplier so they can re-calculate to confirm the correct lens size.
Ive known of 2 cinemas who have got new lenses and the projection throw distance was 3 foot out and they ordered the lens, it was of course very wrong!

Darren

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't be the one just down the road from you Darren would it? And that was after they gave the measurements to a 3rd party.

Another rule I ought to add - when measuring the throw recommend people use some kind of laser/some light source measuring device or get the plans for the building out rather than relying on ceiling tiles and a long piece of string!

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,
I was actually thinking of Oak House at pocklington where the building plans were wrong, but now you mention the place down the road seem to of done the same thing! lol

Have fun at Dolby rob and don't forget my off the back of a lorry MPU 1!
(I dont mind paying really!)

Speak soon
Darren

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: