Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lab splices for the inexperienced (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lab splices for the inexperienced
Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 11:56 PM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past I have dealt with lab splices, but at most that I ever noticed it was one for every five shows. I'm sure I'm wrong about that, but theres no telling how many times I might have blinked or been reaching for a drink and one popped up. I know that sounds bad, but you can't see every frame when you've been up for 15 hours. I have a different career now, but I still do projection at a theater on Saturday nights. Just passing along one projector I saw 3 lab splices that cut along the center of the frame. At the end of the showing someone came out and wanted a refund because as he said the mivie was scratched all through it vertically. I know it wasn't like that constantly, but enough that he wanted a refund, and I saw it at random parts of the movie. I don't do any of the building up there, but I was wondering if there were any tips on catching a lab splice if you have to build up quik, and if only one person ever complained about a movie that had alot of them, is it worth the time to look and cut them out. I know presentation is important, and just because someone doesn't complain doesn't mean a lab splice doesn't bother them. Just give me facts and opinions and I'll put them to use.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 12:25 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Mark! Check out Building 101 in the tips sections. If your run the film between your fiingers as pictured, you can't help but feel the splices as they go through. You don't even have to think, you'll fell 'em. Perhaps you should print that page and give it to whomever builds the prints at your theater.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 01:19 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes people are out for freebies, and if they notice something they can complain about they figure they might as well try to get a refund (or at least a re-admit) after the movie lets out.

In a perfect world you would take the time to inspect every frame of film you run through a projector, but there just isn't time. I Have broken a print down 3 reels to remake a lab splice because it was at a most inopportune moment, but sometimes you get lucky and they accidentially make the lab splice in frame and there is nothing to worry about. I have had 2 lab splices break during a show and I have had a lab slice that not only was in view, but the frame was only 3 sprocket holes long.

The maximum number of lab splices allowed for a 2000ft roll of film is three, but you seldom see that many. I'll have to go back through my preview logs and see which movie was the spliciest since I've been here. I have had movies that have at least one lab splice per reel, it's just something you have to deal with and most of the time they don't detract from your presentation, but when you see one that's really bad..makes a real loud pop and is at the worst possible moment, then by all means cut it out.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-20-2002 01:37 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell when a reel has a lab splice in it before I even start to inspect it. The color of the edging of the film will have a slight change to it that if you look at the reel just right you can see it. I am always prepared that a reel could have one or two in it. I have one splicer for reel changes and one for lab splices. I cut all of them out. I do not trust them I have seen these splices seperate on both acatate and polyester based films. Usually it takes a film that has played a long time for this to occure in the polyester based stocks.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always remove lab splices. They look and sound horrible when projected and I don't trust them either. Trailers with lab splices in them get tossed. The only time I would leave a lab splice in would be if removing it would cause more disruption to the presentation than leaving it in.

I've never understood why there would ever be more than a single lab splice in a 2000' reel, anyway. Print stock comes in 2000' and 6000' lengths, so there's no excuse for this as far as I can tell. I have seen reels with as many as three, which is completely unacceptible.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-20-2002 09:10 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This issue has been hashed to death so one more time
Print stock is provided in 2000' rolls and many cases the negative for a reel for what ever reason is less than that so there are short ends of several hundred feet
These can be spliced togather and used and the industry practice is 3 per reel max but that is a volentary standard and there is nothing to stop a lab from doing more
Release prints are paid for by the foot so if they wanted splice free reels then the producer would have to pay for the wasted footage then that would add a sizable cost to the print run

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 11:05 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why dont they just use the stock they need for that reel and use the leftovers for trailers?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2002 11:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if a lab were printing, say, an 1800' reel, wouldn't it be easier to do something like this:

- start with 2000' roll of print stock
- print first 1800' reel (no splices), leaving 200' of print stock
- splice remaining 200' of stock onto next 2000' roll of print stock
- print second 1800' reel (one splice), leaving 400' of print stock
- splice remaining 400' of stock onto next 2000' roll of print stock
- print third 1800' reel (one splice), leaving 600' of print stock
- etc.

This way, no reel would ever have more than one lab splice and there would be no wasted stock. This would make much more sense to me than printing a bunch of splice-free 1800' reels, then splicing together 10 200' short ends and making one reel with 9 lab splices.

(Yes, I know that labs that make large quantities of release prints use continuous printers that don't stop between reels. I'm trying to illustrate why no reel should ever have multiple lab splices, not explain how prints are made in great detail.)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-20-2002 01:29 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, you guys are so spoiled! Try running retrospective -- 3 splices per reel max? My face laughs at you. We consider a print with only 3 splices, lab or otherwise, to be MINT!! We are used to seeing dozens of splices per reel in an older print....even those so-called "vault" or "studio" prints. Besides, I thought lab splices were supposed to be the Cadillac of splices -- ultrasonic splices and all that high tech stuff. Do they really come apart as easily as you are saying? And do they make them in the MIDDLE of a frame? What's THAT all about?

As for people wanting their money back -- that's a scam. We have a sign that says,

"The prints we show at Brookly Center Cinema are the best prints available from the distributor. However the prints of the classic films shown here may be many years old and will show the normal physical wear and tear of their age. Our obligation is to present these prints using the current state-of-the-art technology to give you the best sound and picture that is on the print. We cannot improve on what the studio sends us."

"Your understanding of the limitations of these older prints and that they many not look or sound like a film that was released last week, is appreciated. "

We ALWAYS post: "We appologize: the studio has sent a MONO print of this title. No Stereo prints are available." on films that were originally stereo but where we didn't get an original mag print or an optical stereo re-release print.

In other words, don't even think about trying to scam a refund out of us because you've been forewarned and all we'll do is point to the sign!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 01:57 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

I like your precisations!

I always cut off all lab splices because I had my projector stopped about 4 times in all three years of job. Three times was for bad lab splices.

Bye
Antonio

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-20-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Lackner writes:

quote:
If your run the film between your fiingers as pictured, you can't help but feel the splices as they go through.

...and even if you can't feel anything, the blood spraying out from where the uneven edges of the join have taken a chunk out of your finger can be taken as a good indication that all is not right.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print of Stuart Little II not only had two lab splices in reel one, but the color was all screwy just before the splice. It would go through a series of blues and greens then the wonderful white line in the middle of the frame and BAM the color would be normal for about five minutes then the second would come the same way. Talk about an obvious and annoying defect even to the most patient of audiences.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 08:17 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, that is why I where a glove on the inspecting hand.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lapped Cement Splices

Because the emulsion is removed from the base where the welded joint will be made, machines are set to remove slightly more emulsion than required for the joint. This assures that the edge of the splice will not peel in the projector.

Since 1952, when opaque waterproof acetate black drafting ink became available, all of the operators in Local #35 IATSE have covered the bare film base and created a "bloop" in the soundtrack to minimize the effects of those (and our own) chemical splices.

Recently, we have added a single layer of clear splicing tape on the base side across these patches.

This technique renders the image less offensive since a black line for one frame is less noticeable than a clear one. The analog sound track does not produce the characteristic "crack!" associated with a full amplitude pulse in both channels.

We have repaired some prints that had torn sprocket holes the entire length of a reel. In CLASSIC film repetory, we lament the loss of even a single frame of film. The technique used for these repairs is called "Perf-Fix" which won an Academy Award for innovative film product.

Film Done Right requires more than making good patches between reels and seeing how fast the MUT can load a feature.

KEN

Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 11:40 PM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the advise. I hope you all don't think I'm a complete moron. My training consisted of being shown how to thread and start a projector. The next day i was left in charge of projection at a twin dollar theater. You've heard the expression " jump in and see if you can swim". I was thrown off a cliff to see if I could fly. Most of what I learned was on my own including building up and breaking down which was not fun at a place where all of the prints you got came from who knows where from someone who breaks down however they want because once it leaves their' theater, it doesn't matter. I've been reading alot of the forums on this website and learned alot so hopefully I won't ask any more dumb questions. Thanks again

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: