Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Callibrating Big Sky platter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Callibrating Big Sky platter
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 10:56 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of Big Sky platters where the film will wrap 2 or 3 times when I use the top deck for payout. The wrap won't be so tight that it stops the show. The show will run, but the print will get the S**t scratched out of it! Anywho, I calibrated the brain for the top deck, but then I tested it on the other two decks, and it was out of calibration. If I calibrated it for the other two decks, it will be off on the top deck. Could the sensor need to be calibrated?

Also, do the little pots on the side of the tree have anything to do with the payout speed, or are they only used to adjust the takeup speed?

|  IP: Logged

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken... Well I am glad that I am NOT the only one having this problem. I have 17 P35 Platters and all of them have this "timming" problem. I have been dealing with it for about 3 months now. We had the engineer and the salesman visit our theatre to help, but not much was done. you are doing the right thing. The saleman told me to time the platter in the way you are doing it, but to "average all three platters. I know what he means, but I have yet accomplished it. One platter will be out of time and wrap at the start (had one today with a new operator on duty!) or during the show.

No, the trim pots that are located on the side of the tree will NOT help your problem. Those trim pots are for the setting of when the take up rollers will activate the take up motor or the brake. (This is what I was told) I have checked the LED at the end of the platter arm, I did find that some of them were dirty with metal shavings from the brain stem, I cleaned it and it seemed to help. What I had to do, was buy 17 T-Handled allen wrenches so each platter has a wrench to adjust the brains during show. Most of the time, we just leave the wrenches in the brain during the show to adjust them at the first sign of trouble. I hope that our tech guys can get this fixed. I gave them 12 brains to be sent back to Big Sky for replacement. I think the problem is that light/dark sensor tape on the base of the brain stem. It seems to get dug up during the change. I asked Big Sky to send me just those tapes so I can replace them, but I am still waiting for them. If you can find a solution let me know, and I will do the same.

If you dont have the manual, I will get mine scanned and send it along to Brad so he can add it to the manual list.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 12:31 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I, too, am glad I am not the only one having the problem. I don't like the idea of averaging the brain for all three platters. Until I can get the problem completely corrected, what I think I'm going to do, if it's ok with my manager, is calibrate one brain for the problem platter and put a note on it saying that it is to be used only on that deck, and calibrate the other brain for the other two decks. I work at a 16-plex, and there are currently at least 3 platters systems I know of that have this problem. I don't think it is the sensor tape, because the problem happens with any brain. I have a feeling it is the sensor inside the arm. But I'll leave that up to my tech. BTW, I do have the manual.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-20-2002 09:31 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob forgot to mention that we were also told that a brain should not be moved from house to house once it's calibrated.

And our favorite new Big Sky story is about a platter that turns clockwise, but only when running from the MUT.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any reason to move a brain to a different house, except perhaps to test it to see whether the timing problem is with the bain or with the platter. But my problem is that on a given platter system, the brain works properly on two decks but not on the third.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-20-2002 10:57 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micro switchs were so much simpler

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 11:27 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A-fricken-men!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 11:34 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Sky----yuch!

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I have a ANOTHER problem that just started on one of the platters, as Adam noted, the bottom deck will spin CLOCKWISE only when loading a print from the MUT. I checked the other two decks and they turn in the correct direction when using the MUTS. I pulled the contol panel for the bottom deck, check the ribbon cables against the manual drawings and they are connected right. WHAT NEXT!! I am starting to wonder how much, if any, feild trial Big Sky gave to this platter system.

Yes, I agree, micro swtiches are so much easier!!!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey waitaminute!!!! Big Sky platters are supposed to be "wrap proof"! What's going on here?

On the subject of microswitch platters, I think it's really funny how on that other thread where everyone was saying how brilliant Strong microswitch platters are, I jumped in and mentioned how similar the ORC "Super Platter" was. Then all of a sudden everybody got really really quiet! Christies sound much simpler to deal with than these Big Sky platters.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 08:28 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worked with Christies, but they probablly are much simpler! I do not like the Big Sky platter. Anywho, it doesn't matter now because I don't work at that theater any more.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-20-2002 08:39 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wrap proof" may be a bit of an exaggeration... At my last place we had one wrap forward at full speed for about five minutes before the wrap detector finally shut it down. The cause? The sensor arm became stuck in the full-on position due to being caught on a pealing sticker under the arm (the sticker has the threading path printed on it).

Judging from the two installations I've seen in town, I think Big Sky's quality control has fallen off a lot lately. The Brenden Palms 14 has had very little trouble with their platters (the MUTs were another story), whereas poor Crown Neonopolis 14 had almost nothing but trouble with theirs, at least initially. The two installations were only about six months apart. The guys at Crown ended up having to do a lot of "field engineering" to get their platters running smoothly--work that should have been done at the factory prior to shipment IMNSHO.

Ogenki de,

Paul
SMPTE Hollywood Section
Mercenary video/16/35/70mm/IMAX projectionist
"Otaku wa tsurai yo" <- Yeah I know, bad pun. Sue me.
It's tough being a fan!

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone with a torch to burn.

We have a Big Sky platter. It is wonderfully reliable. One of the major points about it is the fact that IT DOES NOT REQUIRE TIMING!
The pay out is powered without regard to the takeup and therefore need not be "timed" at all.

The simple adjustment of the brain is for the point at which the sensing arm causes the platter to begin rotation. From that point on, the arm causes the speed to increase, decrease or even BRAKE if necessary.

Please go to the Big Sky page and see a demonstration of how a potential brain wrap 'repairs itself' in less than a minute. This simulates what could happen when you forget to take the adhesive off the second wrap from the beginning of a reel and it draws the film in toward the brain.

The platter system 'knows what you have threaded it to do' and the payout does not operate until the projector calls for film.

If you have trouble with any manufacturer's equipment, the best way to get the straight story is to call the builder. They have everything to lose when people start to talk without information.

Soap Box returned under the lamphouse!

KEN

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-21-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
We had Big Sky come back out to tell us what was going wrong. When Bob showed them the problems we were having, they basically told us their shit don't stink and ended the conversation. So much for customer service.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-21-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, If you don't work for the theater that has Big Sky platters anymore, then why are you so concerned about them? Or were you referring to something else?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: