Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Qualifications For Service-Techs Now Going To The Dogs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Qualifications For Service-Techs Now Going To The Dogs?
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wellllll,

I got a real good chuckle the other day when I learned that a "projectionist" with whom I used to work has managed to get promoted to a tech position with a major theatre chain. Notice that I have "projectionist" in quotes !

Anyhow, this kid is an EXTREMELY disrespectful and immuture person with absolutely no mechanical, electricial or electronic experience. Gee whiz, with all the qualified and talented techs out there, this company just might be desperate!!

So, I could go on for quite some time about this person's antics, which would be sure to give everyon a smile!!

Nonethess, here is a goodie. One time this person wanted to time an AW-3 and approached me with an inexpensive multi-meter (vom). So this person procedes to ask me "where is the tachometer scale?" I attempted to explain to said person that this meter is used to measure electricity (voltage, amperage and resistance) and that there is no "tachometer scale". Needless to say this person thought that I was blowing smoke up his "arse" and proceeded to go into a temper tantrum reminicent of a spoiled 4 year-old child!

Shall I go on? All I can say is "AW "!

|  IP: Logged

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 11:37 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this temper tantrum kid did to me while I was trying teaching him something, I would have told him you grow up & "F" himself...which I said & done that to a projectionist before...needless to say he no longer works a booth !! I been in the theatre business for 31 years, a tech for 22 years, and still today I learn new things, via on the job, from other techs, projectionist, and here on film-tech....it is shame people like this young assholes that thinks they know everything about a booth and it's equipment because they been a projectionist for a year or less....if I had my way, a tech could not be a tech unless they had at least 3-years in the booth, a basic electronics course, and have been a projectionist on at least the 3-different type of projection equipment, I too know techs with little or no experience on all equipment, but then, when us real techs comes in & repair it correctly, that make us look good...that has happen to me many times....theatre projectionist/owners would say "our other tech could never fix that, we were told it can not be fix, to do it this way instead"...all I say is..." He was Wrong"!! Too bad Will, a company hires a untrained tech with an attitude to do a professional tech work....I know we all have to start somewhere, I hope any new soon to be techs just listen to what other people is trying to tell them to help them learn the job faster & to do a more professional job WITHOUT the attitude !!!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-18-2002 12:18 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably ask him to bend over so would be easier to jam that VOM up his posterior until it comes out his mouth.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-18-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an idiot! I can't believe he thought it was a tachometer when you clearly need an RTA to properly time a platter!

My guess is that he once fixed a minor problem, got ever so confident in his abilities and highly over-exaggerated himself to the company that just hired him as a tech. They'll find out soon enough how bad he is when he never seems to be able to fix stuff and instead just comes away with excuses. If you have any more gems wbout this guy, feel free to share!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-18-2002 06:07 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give me ten inexperienced-but-eager-to-learn, respectful interns with a good work-ethic to one arrogant, self-boasting know-it-all with an "oh, I don't do that kind of work" attitude any day of the week.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Frank!! You can accomplish alot more with 10 eager know nothings, than you ever could with one arrogent son of a "B".
Mark @ GTS

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 03:01 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I have been a projectionist for 3 years but and can do some basic work on our christie projectors but thats all i know how to and allowed to do. Cant get the tech to teach me how to do other stuff.He would rather work alone than be bothered to work with a seasoned projectionist and since our theater chain has but only one tech i can think of that travels to all our theaters,I think it would help him out if he spent time with some of the veteran projectionists in case of a chrisis

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I owned my theatres I would take a 14-15 year old anytime even with the work restrictions. They were a clean slate that you could write on and mold the work ethic

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-18-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin-

Your tech is probably just fearful of losing his job if the chain sees that someone else knows something that he does. He wants to be relied upon. What are you "allowed" to do on the Christie projectors?

Tom Springer
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for Tom Springer   Email Tom Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a regular as far as posting on Film-Tech but try to read
quite often as like most Techs I can learn something everyday even
after being in this business for thirty years.

To start the young man that Will is talking about is in training to
be a Tech - He was in charge of the booth of a large (20 Screens)
complex in Tucson and did such a good job he was selected to become
a Tech. Everyone starts somewhere! It's amazing that Will negected
to mention he was fired from this same chain for being hard to get
along with.

Many of you probably know me as I have been around a long time and
know I call a spade - a spade, no BS. This young man has been working with me for two months and so far I have not seen any of
what Will is ranting about. What I have seen is an attitude of
wanting to learn which is more than for me than Will's attitude
of "I know everything already".

Next - I thought personal attacks were looked down on in this forum,
in my humble opinion give the young man a chance - we all know if he
doesn''t learn and product he won't be around long.

Thank You for reading my reply

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Well, if it ain't Mr. Tom Springer!

Before you go speaking about why I am no longer working for said company, ya better get your facts straight, Sir!!!!!

I was falsly accused of damaging equipment and terminated. I have a VERY NICE letter from the State of AZ clearing me of ANY WRONGDOING! ENOUGH SAID! Furthermore, I have never attempted to "hide" anything...in fact, I have spoken to many fellow Techers about my employment, and may have even made a post or two.

Anyhow, Tom...let me see...how many times did I fix equipment in that theater that you either failed to touch after several months...and how many times did I prevent a screen or two from going dark for several days and was able to take care of problems so that you would not have to make an emerengcy trip? In fact, said theater had a reputation at corporate level for being self-sufficient (maintenance wise)...this being largly due to my efforts! I AM VERY PROUD OF MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT SAID THEATRE!

Am I hard to get along with...I don't think so? First of all, I am much older than the people with whom I worked. I also come from a military and civilian background where half ass is not acceptable! Simply put, I was not willing to put up with half assed mediocrity that was common among some of my ex-coworkers!

I lost track of how many hours I put in repairing stuff(which included bring in my own personal tools) w/o getting paid?! I did a lot of stuff out of sheer pride and also hoping that my efforts would have been recognized...instead, I got screwed!

There was a period of time when I thought that this individual in question was a decent person. WRONG! One time, I actually paid this individual a compliment to a corporate executive. The executive replied in turn w/a VERY NEGATIVE comment about this individual and I felt like a first class ass!

Also let it be known that the g.m. of said theatre attempted to have this individual follow me around the booth so that I could teach this person about projector maintenance! Needless to say, this person was EXTREMELY obnixious, inmature, etc. and I will lay $$ down that very few of the experienced projectionists and techs...especially the older people...would have put up with said person's crap!

Furthermore Tom,

I have NEVER CLAIMED TO KNOW EVERYTHING...where do you get this?! I comment about things in which I haver personal experience. As a college professor of mine once said "What makes me an expert is that I have already made the mistakes!"

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 08:17 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe wants to hear some more gems about said person...so here goes...

On one occasion, I was working with said person. Said person neglected his 10 screens and was down in the box office w/his radio off bsing with his girlfriend...Anyhow, he failed to start one of his films and the booth was called that the film was about 20 minutes or so late. This person did not respond to his radio so I shot over to start the show. As I was threading the projector, I got radio calls about problems with two of his other screens. As I was threading the show he shot into the booth with a temper as if his late start was my fault. He stood there with his hands on his hips shootin his mouth off at me. So I told him to go tend to his other problems while I started his show. Needless to say he went bezerke with a temper...tried to start a fist fight with me in the booth and started kicking film cans around....

This person had been an employee of said chain longer than I and supposedely had more experience than yours truly...that is why they asked me to train him (from scratch) on how to change and focus a xenon bulb. So, to cover myself, I made up a training (task oriented) cirriculum that we would both initial certifying that training was given and that the trainee was competitent in the task. Needless to say, this person did not like my methods, did not want to be a student...etc, etc and threw a temper tantrum! Basically, he wanted me to teach him per his dictates. He showed absolutely no respect, so I simply did not train him! I was later spoken to by the g.m. for being too strict and not p.c.!

I can go on....

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Will, this is getting good !! How old is the said temper tantrum, want-a-be-tech, employee in question ??? inquiring minds wants to know !!

Tom Springer
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Tom Springer   Email Tom Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things must be bad when a kid gets into a
training program and gets bashed for it.

Again to state a fact -- in two months time
there have been no problems and the young man
is doing better than others I have seen before.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 11:55 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yhis is really getting good. Century{Syufy} employing technicians and I say this in jest. Anyone worth his salt,and confident of his ability, would not subject themselves to the humiliation of being employed by this outfit.They have been a cancer on the face of technological advancements for at least 60 years. Since the days of Bill and Pauline and their darling son; Raymond J. they have spent all their time attempting to invest various dullards with capabilities they do not possess and telling themselves they have, at last,found the answer to hiring projection and sound engineers. Then they would go to sleep at nite and try to dream that it really happened. The more I read these posts I really wonder just how little it would take to get by out there. Maybe I`ll unretire.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: