Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning a Simplex millenium

Author Topic: Cleaning a Simplex millenium
German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 04:58 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm used to clean the rails of the trap an gate everydays (actually I'm working with Christie's equipment) but a friend of mine has problem to remove the build up from Simplex millenium because the narrow space doesn't allow it. Is there a way to clean it?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-17-2002 01:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Yes......
Just take them out and clean them while out of the machine. Removing them is all covered in the operating manual. Just don't drop any of them.......
Mark @ GTS

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 02:45 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always managed to clean the gate-trap of Simplex projectors with a toothbrush without removing it from the projector and without damaging the bars.
Did the Milleniums cut down on space?

Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 03:44 AM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
having a all Millenium booth i can understand where you are comming from. to clean, a toothbrush will get some, and removing the gate is the best way, to get the hard stuck on stuff a little xecote or c-lube does the trick with a q-tip,course it may take a few times to get it off but.... to combat this and save you extremly lots of gate maintenance and cleaning we use film guard which cuts the prints shedding to zero and also xecote or c-lube before every show. since we started this combo, we have seen gates looking brand new and with no emulsion stuck on and cleaning cut by 90% or more! hope this helps.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The easier way I've found is with Q-tips, but I try to make a special tool to clean it, Thanks guys.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, on the Millenium, the who gate does not come off like it did on previous models. But you can remove the "pressure pad" with one thumb screw.

Removing the entire film trap is really easy. Remove the apperture plate. Use a flat blade screwdriver to loosen the one screw that holds the film trap in place. This is pretty much the same as the 1060.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 03:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, some (if not most) of the Millenniums (Millennia?) don't have that Century-style thumb screw. They have two regular hex screws on the back of the gate (side facing the lens), which they recommend removing to clean on a daily basis.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-19-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything wrong with replacing them with thumbscrews?

--jhawk

Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think Ken nailed it here our booth does just that, daily cleaning with the "pressure plate" off and the good ol q-tips, and keeping them xecoated or c-lubed, and usually a full trap removal once every few weeks or so, pretty easy to keep clean just have to do the daily stuff to combat the major cleaning, but i guess thats with everything. Has anyone using the milleniums, got the automatic dowsers for the lamphouses yet, we just got 2 of them installed and wondered about any opinions, so now we have 2 auto dowsers on them...
just wondering....

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Good point. I don't know if lens turret clearance is an issue on this one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: