Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FANTASIA - 1.85? Spare us! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FANTASIA - 1.85? Spare us!
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-16-2002 01:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are running FANTASIA (1939) in the park this summer and I was just told that it would be 1.85. I was stunned. Not that abominable conversion thing where the 1.37 image is reduction printed into the 1.85 space?! Seems like that's what it is if the information coming indirectly from Disney to Swank somewhere in the Midwest to Swank in NY. And evidently I am told by the producers of the festival that the hierarchy can't be broken, i.e., I can't call the print control guy at Disney in Burbank myself as I surely would do if I were running it in my theatre. I'd call and get some straight answers.

When I ran the 50th Anniversary print, it was Academy full frame. It even came with a big instruction card in the can saying the print HAD to play in 1.37 with the proper lens and the screen HAD to be masked correctly. It gave the correct aperture dimensions as well as the TAP number to call if projecting it in an aspect ratio that had been the standard for almost 50 years was too difficult for the multiplex guys to figure out. They even supplied a roll of RP40 test film. They also went to great length to say that under no circumstances could the film be played in mono sound because of all the phase distortion that would cause.

Could this same company so meticulous in 1989 to present it correctly, now be offering ONLY 1.85 conversion prints of this, arguably Disney's greatest achievement? When did they make THESE 1.85 abortions? Surely there was no major re-release between the 50th and now.

Has anyone seen or know if there is such a print? I know it is not beyond them because they re-released CINDERELLA in an actual 1.85 vertical pan and scan, not even a conversion. I have a file an inch thick going back and forth trying to convince Phil Barlow that I needed to have a full frame, and it a 1.85 pan & scan WASN'T as good the original 1.37 version (you remember Phil Barlow....the guy who thinks DLP is as good as it needs to be and would put them in 10,000 theatres today if it weren't for the price).

So my question is, has the info gotten garbled along the way? And will I luck-out and actually get a 50th Ann 1.37 print, or will I actually have to play this with 1.85 lenses and loose half my light to the black surround? I would even prefer a converted anamorphic print -- at least the blowup won't be as severe. And ironically that's what they FIRST said this was....an anamorphic print, then they switched to 1.85. So I am just hoping that some doe-doe along the way just doesn't know what he's talking about. Or maybe I can get Phil on the line and get the fight going again, about why I should be able to show Disney films the way they were originally made if I am going to show them at all, lest ole Walt throws some pretty nasty haunts on him.

Anyone know about a conversion version of this title floating around? Say it ain't so.

Frank

|  IP: Logged

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 02:59 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are indeed 1.85 printed versions of Fantasia around - I saw one here some time ago. I think it was done for the late 80s reissue, before the 50th revival if I recall correctly. Probably one of those 'now, for a limited time, only in cinemas' things they used to do (before Disney went wholesale for the home market). It has a thick black border around the whole frame. I guess you could be in for that one - but think of the convenience!!! (kidding!)

David

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 03:01 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank

Stand by to be disappointed

We ran a series of new prints this spring specially struck for Walt's hundredth birthday.

All the original academy ratio titles (1.33:1) were printed in the 1.85 space because to quote BVI " none of the multiplexes have 1.33 lenses".

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-16-2002 04:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it boils down to a question of which is the lesser evil - cinemas which do have Academy plates and lenses having to put up with a far lower definition image, or cinemas which don't showing the film severely cropped.

Even if you accept that for a mass-release Academy title nowadays (and there are some, e.g. Blair Witch Project or those strange Danish films which are made according to a set of production rules called something like Windows 95), the reduced frames are about the only feasible way of showing it without cropping, I can't believe that it would be impossible to run a small dual inventory of full-frame prints which theatres that can show Academy could book.

But this would cost more, which is probably why the distributors don't do it.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 05:46 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of what Scott Norwood posted in Feature Info & Trailer Attachments for “Gone With The Wind”

quote:
13 reels, MGM/Warner Bros. The recent prints were dye-transfer Technicolor printed with the Academy frame squeezed within the scope image area. You run it with the scope lens and plate, but pull the masking in to Academy (assuming that you have side masking).

Surely this would be a far better system than within 1.85.

I first saw Fantasia early 1960s at the Studio One, Oxford Circus in a blown up SuperScope version, say no more. The 4 track magnetic sound was very good though.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 08:02 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only full 1.85 (not 1.37 in the 1.85 frame) release of Fantasia that I am aware of was that awfull late 1980's dolby re-recorded version. I hope you are not getting that one.

/Mitchell

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 10:49 AM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard Tonks said:
quote:

It would for common-height screens.

But not for common-width screens, where you'd end up with 1.37 windowboxed in 2.39 letterboxed on a 1.85 screen.

Windowboxing at all is already a concession to the format inflexibility of multiplexes. Windowboxing in 1.85 would just be an additional compromise -- dimmer image in return for a larger image on common-width screens.

Whether that compromise is worth it depends on what proportion of the target audience will be seeing the film on common-width screens. Warener Brothers apparently thought it was higher for The Wizard of Oz (windowboxed in 1.85) than for Gone with the Wind (windowboxed in scope).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-16-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're talking about prints hard masked to and filling the 1.85 space via vertical scanned reframing with massive image loss, yes that would be an abomination.

If you're talking about 1.37-within-1.85 I don't have a problem with it. I'd prefer true Academy but this is a very practical solution to real world issues. Modern intermediate and print stock should have no problem delivering adequate resolution given the limitations of the 1930's SE (or was it three strip?) negative. If you can show a regular 1.85 movie with a high quality, sufficiently bright picture then what's the problem?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 11:56 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But not for common-width screens, where you'd end up with 1.37 windowboxed in 2.39 letterboxed on a 1.85 screen.

This is exactly what happened in our multiplex when we ran Gone With The Wind. At first, it was on a common-height screen. We were told only to put a policy trailer on it, and nothing else. So, when the film started, the masking would open up all the way to Scope, the loud blaring Policy Rollercoaster (!) trailer would run it's course, and then just a blank screen with the quiet overture. Naturally, people thought something was wrong. Then when the feature started, it was a small box with the full masking open. Complaints, again. Especially when everyone expected the title card to "boom" across the whole screen.
Later, it moved to a common-width screen and, you guessed it, the curtains came down and the Academy image was just slightly bigger than a big-screen TV squished in that little space. People asked us why we didn't "just leave the curtains up and use the whole screen" I would have loved to. This was horrible treatment for such a classic.
When they re-released the Wizard Of Oz a little while later, they printed the Academy frame inside a hard-matte 1.85:1 frame, which looked a lot better on those common-width screens.

=TMP=

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-16-2002 11:57 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I give up. I guess I have to resign myself to showing a DULL, GRAINY version. It's just that they HAD Academy prints for the 50th....and according to the rant card they put in the cans, seemed like they were ALL full frame. I should photo copy that card and send it to Phil. The 50th prints were very goodlooking too --excellent color saturation, SR sound which was nicely cleaned up.

So what did they do, BANDSAW all those 50th prints in favor of the bastardized version? Surely they kept just a FEW -- what if Lincoln Center or The Museum of Modern Art or The AMPAS wanted to run this -- would Disney send them a 1.85 windowed print?

The stupid thing is, all the plexes HAVE the correct lenses -- just unscrew the anamorphot and you've got a prime that is close enough. If it is a common height (which the majority are) then at the very most, you might see is a little band on top and bottom and you might need to get a new set of aperture plates if they are severely cropping their scope sides, but all-in-all, if you are running scope, you can run an Academy print with a lot less compromise than running a windowbox 1.85.

Tao said: >

----------------------------------------
It would for common-height screens.

But not for common-width screens, where you'd end up with 1.37 windowboxed in 2.39 letterboxed on a 1.85 screen. <

Now THAT's a compromise!

Besides, common width setups make the cinema gods weep.

When I first ran FANTASIA in the late-70s, I was desperate to play it in the original stereo. I knew there was that abominable Superscope version they did in the late 50s to cash in on scope and stereo sound. Since we had mag, I begged Buena Vista for that Superscope print. Thing is, Disney got so burned by the critics on that particular re-release that they denied that any prints even existed. I promised the NY office that if they got me a print, I would play it in the correct Academy ratio. BV capitulated and got me a print from Europe someplace (made me pay for shipping, of course). How did I play this scope version in Academy, you ask?

Easy. I rented two Hilux variable anamorphics and when the animation sequences came on the screen (90% of the film), I just set the stretch to zero (the animation was not manipulated at all on the film -- it was straight Academy -- evidently the Disney geniuses thought no one would "notice" that the animation was stretched by a factor of 2 and all the bubbles were now ovals). But when the live action came on the screen, they did an optical where the image compressed so that Deams Taylor was an Academy window in the scope frame. I got the timing so good covering the transitions, that when the optical compression took place, I followed it with the anamorphic knob on the lens and you almost couldn't see any transition at all -- the picture just remained Academy through out. Plus I got 4 track mag sound, which was my goal in the first place.

What we won't do for presentation, eh? Tippy Spirty (his real name, I swear), the guy in the NY office said, "Officially, you are getting a standard Academy/mono print; you tell anyone any different and I'll deny it and you'll never get a picture out of me again."

Ironically, that's all they were releasing at the time -- a straight Academy/mono track print -- if only I could get my hands on that now, I'd give up the stereo sound.

....or maybe sync the Irwin Kostel CD recording to it! Now there's a thought!

Frank

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 12:03 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the 50th Anniversary print as being "windowboxed" as well. The framing done by the theatre at the start of the film was indicative of this. Disney had done this for several of their re-issues in the 90's, including Pinocchio, Snow White, and 101 Dalmations (which is surprising, considering this feature was released in the early 60's, and almost assuredly was originally screened in widescreen (I think Disney preferred 1.75 back then, but not sure on this).

The Bing Theatre at the Los Angeles County museum of Art recently held a Disney tribute in which they claimed to show the ROADSHOW version of Fantasia that had not been shown since the original 1940 release (presumably what is on the DVD). How exactly this apparently unique print was produced (windowboxed or original format), I don't know.

The Fantasia restoration (50th Anniversary) used both 3 strip (live action sequences) and SE (animation segments) negatives for the extensive work.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 12:32 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas- was it "Company Policy" for that theatre to have the masking stay in 'flat' mode for the slides, then have it come down for scope movies? That was my reason for leaving the last theatre I was at when they made us start doing that- the masking should NEVER move when the customers can see it (unless you're running a double feature), ESPECIALLY when you're showing windowboxed and/or letterboxed material! (They had 2 screens with side-masking but told me to have the masking move to flat between shows on those too- to top it off on every scope film the first few trailers were windowboxed!)
I didn't know the GWTW reissue was printed in scope and windowboxed to 1.33; that's pretty strange.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, i think the GWTW was a 1 to 1 transfer (except for the squeeze) to scope format. It didnt reach the top or bottom of the screen, but looked to have the correct height for the old Academy standard (which had more space between frames than scope does.) I would assume, then, that this method would give a much sharper image than windowboxing in a 1.85 frame. Although the point of showing it in common width screens (as I saw it) is well taken. It made for a really SMALL image, especially noticable with no masking at the particular theatre I saw it at (and there was some purple color fraying in the black part of the frame.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-16-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC GWTW was at the proper height for Academy-within-Scope. I may have a piece of leader somewhere that shows the frame dimensions.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-17-2002 12:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you said,
>If you're talking about 1.37-within-1.85 I don't have a problem with it. I'd prefer true Academy but this is a very practical solution to real world issues. Modern intermediate and print stock should have no problem delivering adequate resolution given the limitations of the 1930's SE (or was it three strip?) negative. If you can show a regular 1.85 movie with a high quality, sufficiently bright picture then what's the problem?<

The problem is the same problem that I have with 1.85 in general -- it is. was and always will be an ill-conceived system from the outset. For films shot in it, I am stuck -- I HAVE to use it. But when you are talking about a film shot full frame, no matter how good the intermediate stocks are, there will always be the difference in magnification and visible grain between an 1.37 academy image and a blowup to 1.85. One will always look better than the other, stocks and printing quality all being equal. Why should an audience of 3000 have to see the blowup with its step-up in grain and hence the step down in rez, when the full frame is readily available? I don't get it. Why can't I get the print that will present the better looking image of the two? Would the 1.85 windowbox thing run through the projector and give me picture that's as good as what my 1.85 lens projects? Yes, but my point is, the full frame 1.37 image will look BETTER. Why do I have to compromise for mediocre when I can have stellar?

What's more, I can't get past this idea that the producers capitulate in such a major way -- they literally make a nonstandard print to accommodate theatres that are don't have the right equipment to play their pictures -- why not just insist they get the right lens to play the picture? They don't make spherical 1.85 reduction prints of scope picture just so theatres don't need to buy anamorphic lenses, do they? And as I mentioned, theatres HAVE the right lens -- it's the anamorphic prime -- it will get them an image that's right in the ballpark.

Frank

The other consideration is that I am running 4500W xenons. I am not sure how this print will like all that extra energy being pumped at and absorbed by the black surround on either side of the 1.37 image. Seems to me it will create a very uneven heating of the frame. Will I have focus problems? Will Buena Vista get a print that's got that black area embossed by the heat? I may need to cut aperture plates that will mask that extra width.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: