Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lang's METROPOLIS Newly Restored, Screens in NYC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lang's METROPOLIS Newly Restored, Screens in NYC
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 09:11 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A Restored German Classic of Futurist Angst" is the title of A.O.Scott's announcement and excellent review in the 7/12/02 NYTimes.
Pulled from theatres by Ufa a few weeks after the 1927 premiere and cut from 12 reels to 5, the film was further butchered by Paramount for USA distribution. The film provoked political hostility in Europe because it touched on themes such as economic class divisions, and religious and social awakening, leading to revolution.

Karl Freund was the cinematographer, and after four years of painstaking research by Martin Koerber and Alpha-Omega of Munich, 1300 feet have been added to the previous restoration, and a re-recorded version of the original "Wagnerian" score, plus new English titles and indication of the still-missing scenes, have been added.
Scott writes that "there is now, at long last, a "Metropolis" with a legitimate claim to being definitive."

It is being screened for two weeks at Film Forum on Houston Street in "a spotless 35mm print with a new recording of Huppertz's score."
This is one of my favorite classics, with powerful crowd scenes, science-fiction cloning of an anti-heroine (in a Frankenstein-like laboratory) and a wonderful German Expressionist look.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/12/movies/12METR.html

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 01:07 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this full on retored print at the Telluride Film Festival last year. It was accompanied by the Alloy Orchestra. They have been touring for years with a Georgio Moroder print. This year they were touring with the restored print when it was pulled from them so the people who own it could do this presentation around the country. The Alloy Orchestra is ver good and great fun, so I hope they can get their hands back one Metropolis again next year.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-13-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A.O. Smith of the NY Times betrayed his considerable ignorance by stating:

>Had Lang lived to see the age of the "director's cut" DVD, he might
>have responded to those transgressions and reconstructed a
>definitive "Metropolis." But now we have something nearly as good.

So seeing it on film, on the big screen pretty much as the director intended is "nearly" as good as a DVD would be? What an idiot.

letters@nytimes.com is the place to write to

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 03:04 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For counterpoint here are the reviews from the Village Voice (pre-release) and the New York Daily News.

The Village Voice review pairs Metropolis with Road to Perdition.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-13-2002 04:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the new print tinted or is it B&W only?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 05:09 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

No, it's B/W. The review describes a tinted version the reviewer considered a travesty, since the original made very effective use of light and shadow for dramatic effect. This restoration was made by a
film preservationist who took four years to reconstruct the film according to Lang's intentions, and was aided by a restoration/preservation laboratory. Also considered a travesty was the rock musical score added to the disasterous colorized version.

Since Fritz Lang is long gone, I understand the comment about the director's cut DVD as something impossible now. He doesn't mean
viewing the disk would be preferable to bigscreen auditorium viewing.
Were Lang alive, it might not require such detective work to assemble a definitive print. Today director's cut versions are readily assembled from existing negative footage of modern films, and find a nich market among film fans and collectors, since they are usually too long for profitable mass exhibition in theatres.

Gerard

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-13-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting--I want to see this. Hopefully it will make it to Boston. Does anyone know if this version is step-printed for 24fps projection or if it needs to be run at silent speed?

"CinemaScope is great for snakes and coffins, but not for people." -- Fritz Lang in _Contempt_

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 06:52 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

Thanks for the link to J. Hoberman's review in the Village Voice.
It's really very thorough and I like his relating the influence
of METROPOLIS on modern filmakers and other cultural trends.

Gerard

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 01:14 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but will it be showing in DLP? (ducks)

I hope we get that print here. I have seen a reasonable 16MM print but that would not be the same thing.

Although it is a classic, as Lang films go I prefer 'M'. We had a Lang festival here a couple of years back and the 35MM print of 'M' was sensational.

I love that quote, Scott! I ran the re-release of CONTEMPT and laughed out loud the first time I heard (read) that line.

Also in the same scene is the line in which Jack Palance's character (as producer) challenges Lang about not sticking to the script after watching the dailies. It goes something like this:

----------------------------------------

Producer: 'That's not what's in the script'

Lang: 'It IS!' (Hands the producer the script)

Producer: 'OK, but that's not what you have on the screen'

Lang: 'Naturally! In the script, it is written. On the screen, it is pictures. MOTION PICTURES, they call it'.

-------------------------------------------------

Priceless.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 07:57 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No step printing, everybody will run around at 24fps, some people
think it was shown this way in 1927. I dont know.

More info at http://www.kino.com/metropolis/index.html

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 08:15 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
< More info at http://www.kino.com/metropolis/index.html >

WOW!!
Dennis, that's a beautiful Website! Lots of info on the reconstruction, and beautiful, clear and sharp Flash Animations
made from stills of METROPOLIS. With sound effects. What a find!

This site also gives TRAILERS and PLAYDATES coast to coast including New England.

Thanks--Gerard

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 09:38 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By 1927, 24 fps was the average projection speed for silents. Apparently, filmmakers got wise to theater owners running films faster than the accepted 16 fps so they could squeeze in extra showings. So the on-screen action wouldn't look ridiculous, the cameramen started cranking faster to compensate.

Certain silents were meant to fun FASTER than 24 fps. A couple of Buster Keaton's later silents, including "The General" came with instructions to play at 26 fps. Showing such films at 16 fps kills the pacing.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it shows at the Castro in San Francisco, I hope they do the right thing and make the screen as large as possible. I was pretty disappointed at how small the screen was for "2001", but it looked like there was extra room at the top. If they simply brought in the sides to show the old silent aspect ratio, the screen would be tiny!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-15-2002 07:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the mid-1920s, 24fps (90 feet per minute) was a generally accepted standard by the Hollywood studios, but not by European film-makers. Germany stuck to 16fps pretty much right up until comopt sound came in, and German silents really need to be shown at 16. Click here for more on silent projection speeds.

As for Lang being able to give definitive answers if he were alive, I'm not so sure... he consistently lied to interviewers throughout his life, most famously over his supposed 'escape' from Nazi Germany following a meeting with Goebbels in 1933. Suggested reading: Out of print now, but well worth a read if you can get it. Not a bit like the nauseously sycophantic biography by Lotte Eisner.

And as for his films, I too agree that M is a masterpiece, and the 1951 remake by Joseph Losey is also quite an intelligent updating. Metropolis is a bit on the kitsch side for me: You Only Live Once and Clash by Night are, IMHO, much underrated.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 07:31 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I ran it a 16.5 fps 4 years ago. What a long film!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: