Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-12-2002 07:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't they design a Simplex that does NOT leak oil? Also, why would anyone buy a projector that leaks oil? It's defective right "out of the box!" I don't want oil on my wall/floor. None. Ever. You also need to wear an apron just to work on the thing. I would think that the Strong engineers could come up with a way to keep the Simplex design the way some people like it, yet prevent it from leaking oil ever under normal operating conditions and of course being properly maintained. But then again Strong has a hard time designing their platter brains so that they are easy and quick to thread.

Perhaps the designers of such stuff should spend time working in a movie theater running the equipment. I bet we'd see tons of design improvements then!

|  IP: Logged

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 07:24 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't they design a Simplex that does NOT leak oil?

May be Simplex has a interest in the Oil Industry

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-12-2002 08:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben--they do. The manual says "use only genuine Simplex oil." They did screw up with the 5-star soundheads, though, as those don't require oil like the SH-1000s do.

Joe--the 1998-vintage Simplexes that I've been working with lately don't leak very much at all. Perhaps your seals need to be replaced?

Isn't the oil circulation system the primary selling point of the Simplex design, anyway? I mean, if they took that advantage away, wouldn't everyone just buy Centurys instead, since they're generally (IMHO) easier to thread and replace parts on than Simplexes.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-12-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Speaking from a design standpoint...the Simplex is a vastly superior machine. If properly kept in oil, virtually nothing in the gear case ever needs replacing. On average, given the same level of compentency, a Simplex will out last a Century almost 10:1 in terms of part replacement.

None of this should take away from the fact that a Century _CAN_ provide excellent and long-term reliability. But if you want to look at sheer design, there isn't much comparision, Simplex is the clear winner.

As to the leaking...they CAN be made to not leak and STRONG has taken many steps towards that end (some a bit too far in my opinion). We have some that have been in service for years and not a drop comes out. Personally, I don't find it such a big deal as others seem to.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 12:31 AM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe:
Perhaps it`s in the genes. Everything named Simplex, starting with Precision Machine Corp, thence to IPC, they all leaked oil, Regulars, Supers, E7`s and finally XL`s. Where do you think Kotex got it`s start? I think they had a chance of correcting this with the XL`s but then they got the seals from Imternational Harvester and had the castings made by the George Bernard Schwartz Porous Foundry and there you are.
Bob Koch

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-13-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, Welcome to the world of Simplex....

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 12:52 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben said,"May be Simplex has a interest in the Oil Industry," to which Scott replied, "Ben--they do. The manual says "use only genuine Simplex oil." "

Kinoton also recommends their own oil. I assume this is standard with any projector that uses oil. The manufacturer wants you to use their own.

I am curious, what steps has Strong taken to stop the leaks? I worked a theater with 12 Milleniums, and about half of them leaked, the other half didn't.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-13-2002 12:57 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many factors that determine if a machine will leak or not, everything from the projection angle, to what day it rolled off the assembly line. Some machines leak period. All of mine do, to a certain degree. If Simplex would start sealing the castings like Harleys now do, they wouldnt leak.

Just my .02

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-13-2002 01:03 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Josh. That's because Harley uses rubber bands for the final drive. What they use in the Primary drive these days, I don't know. But it probably is another rubber band.

When Harley used a chain on the final drive, the motorcycle was designed to piss oil all over the ground as well as your shoe. (Kept your shoes waterproof.)

Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 02:31 AM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For my 2 cents,
We have an all strong booth and leaking oil was a problem and i had talked to simplex numerous times as these were brand new millenium editions,(we are only 3 years old now), which of course i got the run around, then after a while i tried again and talked to someone who told me that the litte window (the oil level) which is full at rest and half way during motion is a little off, he suggested that i take a litte oil out and see if that helps, he stated that this was a known problem and told me this "off the record" as he stated it.. well i tried it and it worked no more oil on the floor and all is well. surprised me though theres still plenty of oil and its been fine for bout a year now. Yes i did try to get this persons name when i called but thats when i got the "off the record" statement and was hung up on.. which was weird but it worked..so i was a happy little camper....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-13-2002 03:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would someone fear being discovered giving out a tip like that? That's like me telling you that it is easier to open a pop can tab with your thumb rather than your pinky, and then running for my life in fear of serious persecution!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-13-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe said: >Why can't they design a Simplex that does NOT leak oil? Also, why would anyone buy a projector that leaks oil? It's defective right "out of the box!"<

My XLs don't leak oil. But then they were reconditioned to "better than new" by Bruce Sanders, who in a former life WAS a Simplex XL. My 5 year old Strong/Simplex 35s don't leak oil (which would REALLY be a mess because that booth has carpet, which I hate -- it holds the dirt.) So the question is, Joe, what box are you getting these Simplexs out of?

Frank

Oh yah, and while we are talking about design.....so why can't someone design a Century that can re-rack a full four sprockets so that the word FRAME on that knob will actually do something useful?! And while we are at it, how difficult would it be to also incorporate a framing window in the Centurys?

And BTW, Bruce said exactly the same thing as Steve; he said the XL gearing is more robust and over-all mechanically, it is a very elegant design.

Face it, Simplex RULES!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2002 08:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh now wait a minute...I didn't say the Simplex gear train was more robust, just a better design. The gears are actually weaker than Century's (thinner) however the actual load they are under is far less, the friction is far less...etc...that is where the longevity likes. However, deny a Simplex it's oil and the Century it's oil/grease...the Simplex will blow apart first. However, that would fall in the category of misuse and abuse.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 11:37 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, exactly where are your Simplexes leaking from? I thought you ran a Christie package booth.

I run four PR1014's and they all leaked out of the Drive-in fill tube on the front of the projector but I've sealed that up with some silicone and now they are dry as a bone. One of them was leaking out of the gear compartment door on the left side where all the oil is supposed to drip back into sump. I got the old manager/projectionist to admit that he used to loosen the top nut on the door and pull back to add oil, after that the door wouldn't seat properly. I have since replaced the door and all is well.

Strong makes a seal kit for the Simplex for about a hundred bucks, if you're projectors are leaking around the sprocket shafts our out the main drive shaft you might consider purchasing the kit to stop your leaks.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-13-2002 03:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Simplexes? No, these are Madstone's Simplexes. I want to disassociate myself as much as I can from the poor equipment.

Simplexes rule? Even if none of them ever leaked oil, I am betting that a Kinoton would be better. Simplexes are too cramped and not exactly maitenence friendly (ie easy to work on).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: