Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Halloween Resurrection Print Problem

Author Topic: Halloween Resurrection Print Problem
Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

While screening Halloween Thursday night, I noticed that during the fourth reel, the sound was not in sync with the picture. When the fifth reel starts, the sound is fine. It resembled watching one of those dubbed kung-fu movies, with the actors mouths moving differently then the sound.

Anyway, I called Technicolor, and they said that a replacement reel will arrive sometime between 9 AM and 5 PM tomorrow (Saturday). I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem that I did, and does anyone know the cause of this?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-2002 06:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to be more specific. What format were you watching it in?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 06:14 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened on the print I saw this morning. I don't know what the format was, but it sounded digital, and as far as I know, the theater I saw it in has all 3.

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 06:17 PM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it in DTS.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-12-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure when you get the new real in to verify if the sound is in sync. It could be a dts problem with the cd it's self. This happened on Shallow hal last year.

Tal Schwartz
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 01:12 AM      Profile for Tal Schwartz   Email Tal Schwartz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a promo screening of this movie thursday night and had the same sync problem. Funny thing is, the print came with a letter warning us not to play the movie in SDDS because of a screw up with that particular print, and that it should be run in either DTS or SR-D. Well 10 minutes into the first reel, we got sick of watching it out of sync in DTS, switched it to SDDS and everything was fine for the rest of the show!

Leni Starck
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 04:07 AM      Profile for Leni Starck   Email Leni Starck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I had heard about the letter concerning the SDDS, however during the course of shows on Friday I hadn't heard of any reel out sync. It is being played in DTS format.

Shaun Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 09:16 AM      Profile for Shaun Thomas   Author's Homepage   Email Shaun Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simular Problem Here, in the 4th reel, the sound jumps out of sync by about 1 sec on the DTS projector it was playing on. Even stranger, last night we sold out our first show and decided to interlock between our two bigger houses, since the was the "first" interlock being presented to a public audience I got to watch the entire movie 30 secs apart between two screens, DejaVu... Well the interlock was playing on SDDS in one theater and DTS in the other with no problems, this is two different projector then what it was playing on. Different DTS machine no problem! I wonder if the sync has something to do with the DTS alignment?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It plays fine in SR and SRD for us. At least we haven't heard any complaints of anything out of the ordinary. It's actually one of the better SR soundtracks I've heard.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-14-2002 12:26 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaun, do both your DTS players have the same CPU, DSP Controller and DSP Firmware versions? If different it could explain why it works on one player and not the other. For reference, the current versions are:

CPU V1.06
DSP controller V1.03
DSP firmware V1.10

Shaun Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 12:39 AM      Profile for Shaun Thomas   Author's Homepage   Email Shaun Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, they were all installed at the same time I would assume that they were the same, but I could be wrong. I will have to look into it.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on holidays so I have not encountered any problems with this print/sound. IMHO I don't know why anyone would use any digital format other than Dolby Digital

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 12:20 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If one reel has a problem, it is not a DTS disc problem. The bad reel should be replaced.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS sync is determined by counting the number of frames from the DTS reader's lens to the film aperture. Multiply by 1.25 and subtract one. The result is the OFFSET and that is what should be adjusted on the DTS player or processor.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: