Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Neumade Super X rewinder

Author Topic: Neumade Super X rewinder
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2002 11:56 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure this is in the right place but here goes anyway.
I have a Neumade Super X power rewinder that I bought off of Ebay a while back. This thing doesn't seem to have a lot of torque when rewinding as it slows down to a crawl when the film builds up close to the end and the motor has an ozone like smell. I am thinking about seeing if a motor shop can check it and or clean it but since I have never messed with one before I do not know its limitations.
Are these things weak to begin with and are they any good?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-10-2002 12:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brushes are shot. Don't run it until you have the motor checked, or check the brusher yourself. If the metal part of the brushes come in contact with the communtator, the motor will probably be history, it it already is not.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

To add my $.02 to Paul's good advice, the ozone you smell is caused by sparking, when the carbon brush doesn't make proper contact with the commutator either because it's worn down, or used up so its spring-loaded brass holder is making the contact instead of the brush.
There are two brushes on opposite sides, covered by bakelite buttons. Unscrew carefully (spring-loaded) and check them both.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the brushes, they are about 5/16" long. But the cummutator looks very rough with heavy carbon on it. I think I am going to take the motor to a rewind shop and see what they can do.
Thanks for the info so far guys.

Paul, why do they call you the wienie man?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-10-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you caught it in time before the motor was ruined. If the communtator was that cruddy, it might have been due to over-oiling of the motor bearings. When you get the motor back rom repair, watch your oiling schedule closely.

I remember some problems like that with the Bodine gear motors used in the Christie AW1's and AW2's. The seal in the gearbox would leak, and the gear oil would leak into the motor. That really made a mess out of things, and many motors were rendered completely useless because of that. I have had similar reports of the same things happening with the Eprad Sword, but I cannot confirm it.

Sam, its because I used to eat a lot of hotdogs while running the booth. No lunch breaks, by my own choosing. One of the girls in the concession stand dubbed me with that name, and Joe Redifer homed in on it.

So, since I got nailed, I thought I might as well make a joke out of it and I sent a picture in to FT. I figured I would get even with Joe. He has a picture that pops up where he is shaking his finger at me. So, I said, "What the hell....I'll shake my <ahem> hotdog at him."

In this day and age, a person has to have a sense of humor, unless they elect to go totally nuts!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-10-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So Paul, does that mean you're a "Winnie Wiggler" or are you just glad to see us?

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-10-2002 04:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, just glad to see you guys and gals, and glad to see the next day's sunlight.

Beats laying in the ground pushing Dandelions

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: