Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Questions about Maxivsion 48

Author Topic: Questions about Maxivsion 48
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A discussion came up in the "Ebert on the future (?) of digital" thread regarding Maxivision 48. Dean Goodhill (the inventor of the format) has offered to answer any questions that we have about Maxivision 48 which are not ansewered in the .pdf file at www.maxivisioncinema.com. So, if anybody has any questions for Mr. Goodhill, please post them to this thread sometime in the next day and then tomorrow night (7/10) I will email him all of the questions that we have come up with and post his response once I receive it.

Lyle

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 06:28 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What system would be used for sound? As I understand this format, the speed of the system may be changed during the running of selected scenes.

I was impressed with TODD AO (70mm at 30fps) during the ballet sequence of "Oklahoma". The increased speed made the dancers movements very fluid and there was none of the strobe effect as in the 35mm (24fps) version. What increased benefit do you gain from doubling the speed?

Unlike the DLP systems, your format is retro operable, that is, you can run other (speed) formats on the machine. When would there be an incentive for one of the film companies to adopt this format? Would we have a machine without product? Is there a film company or production house willing to venture into this new system?

Thank you for answering our questions.

Sincerely, KEN W

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 10:38 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these retrofits supposed to be entirely new projector heads or modifications to existing projector heads? The .pdf file (p. 13) shows a picture of a Christie projector, with the caption, "Picture head & sound readers. Only the head needs to be retrofit." I don't see any penthouse digital units so I'm assuming that, if the (Christie) sound reader is to remain unchanged, the "retrofit" is supposed to fit in the existing projector head.

If so, how does Maxivision expect to provide for the many different models of projector that exist? Will the existing mechanical components be able to cope with a 50% speed increase? Furthermore, the mechanical shutter would also have to be replaced with a retrofit because the gearing ratio going from the normal 1.5 ft/sec and 48 Hz shutter to Maxivision's 2.25 ft/sec and 48 Hz shutter is obviously not the same. At this point, it makes more sense to construct a new projector from the ground up.

Also not mentioned is whether any research has been done to see if most platters can handle the higher film speeds without problems.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2002 02:17 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent these questions to Mr. Goodhill. I will post the answers as soon as I get them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: