Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Guard and Blotches??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film Guard and Blotches???
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok got a bit carried away and started changing my media out every 5 days instead of 7 days....Head projectionist reported 2 black blotches in film for a split second. She said she read too much film guard can cause this....We are back to a 7 day rotation. Is this true and is it possible for me to remove blotches manually....
signed,
The one who has to be told to read the f_ _ _ing manual.......once again........

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan

If you'd used too much, you'd have more than two blotches, there would be many but all over the image, not just in one place and not just two AND not black. (It wasn't Star Wars you're talking about by any chance?)

If you HAVE overdone it (and it's most likely not, as we used to do the same thing here...we just found seven days was fine and anything else was wasting the product) then the media will even it out within a day and she'll be sparkling again.

John

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-08-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Black blotches? No. The only thing that could be is airborne dirt that got on the film. FilmGuard cannot make black blotches.

Ask your assistant where she read this please.

Regardless, 7 day rotation in most situations is optimal.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2002 09:57 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA! Just beat ya' Mr. Moderator!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2002 12:36 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I've even encountered with Film Guard is the normal light streaking. What you've got sounds like dirt or a film defect.

Try swapping out a couple frames of another film in it's place! J/K No fight club antics should be needed

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-04-2008 01:04 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2096 days since the last post.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 01:04 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having only recently purchased a Kelmar cleaner to use with Filmguard, I am still learning. One thing though I can't seem to aviod is the streaking. It just does not go away.
When I first applied Filmguard I was accused of the scratching the print!! The streaking is not as bad now but even after several days it's still there. I have followed the instructions and my only conclusion is that I applied just a little too much. I applied it until it got to the point where there was a few drops coming off the pads.
I am using the Kelmar media and are unable to get the Film-tech ones from my supplier as they don't stock them (but they stock Filmguard) [Confused]
Would using the Film-tech media help?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-04-2008 01:21 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The directions say to apply enough that the media is soaked. Soaked and dripping are two different things.

You want to saturate the media pads not over-saturate them.

btw: Many people on here have said that you don't get streaking if you apply the cleaner to the media one day in advance of using it. So use less of it and apply it to the pad a day early.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-04-2008 01:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm, not quite.

You cannot "oversaturate" the media pads if you are using Film-Tech, or Kelmar pads. Maybe if there is some off brand I am unaware of that is super absorbent you can, but not with those main two brands. What brand are you using? (If you don't know, can you post a picture of a roll and the packaging?)

As far as saturating the pads, you should do it ONCE a WEEK. In no way should they be resaturated once a day...or worse, once a show! [Eek!]

Who is your dealer in Australia? Intec-Pacific is the only authorized dealer over there (unless they are importing from Jack Roe in the UK), and Intec-Pacific does stock the Film-Tech media pads. Also what is your exact saturation schedule?

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2008 06:59 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

I am using the same media that came in the box the Kelmar Cleaner. When I ordered extra I was told I had the option of either the white or green media. I went with the white media.
I change over roughly every 5 days mostly because a lot of crap came off the soundtrack area and I noticed that at one point the SRD rack failed but was ok for the rest of the film.
I have 1 cleaner for 4 screens. The problem is that the films get shifted a lot from screen to screen and in some cases there may be 2 or more films on the one screen in the same day. I only ever run 1 film trough the cleaner though, usually the newest one.
I am currently looking into having the cleaner attached to all the platters not just the one but it seems to be a tricky setup (we have Cinemeccanica CNR-35 platters).

The supplier I use is Atlab Image and Sound.

I guess I should do the applying of the Filmguard to the media pads the day before as what I have been doing is loading the media, saturating them then lacing up and run the show with the second show been the first public screening for the day but that is not always the case.
I normally pre-screen the film so that the first run through is only to myself but with the current film passing through the cleaner,that did not happen. [Embarrassed]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-06-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be less difficult if the bracket were put at the top of the projector? That's a pretty common way to do it instead of on the platter.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2008 12:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The green media is bad stuff. VERY abrasive. Don't ever buy that. Always stay with the white.

FilmGuard will absolutely NOT cause the SRD to fail. In fact it will preserve it and prevent it from failing. You probably just didn't notice that you had a bad section of the film in the first place.

As to your streaking question, I am baffled as to why you would still have the streaking past the first show or two. I have never come across that EXCEPT on "photoguarded" or "imageguarded" prints. I can almost bet that is what you have. Contact Atlab (the actual film printing lab) and inquire to see if they can tell you if your prints are coated in that shit. Many "rejuvenated" prints from the US will have that on it.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2008 08:45 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not checked with the distributor but the print is from the US and was used.
I also notice the streaking on the ads and trailers before hand.

The print came with black speckles constantly throughout the print and well as minor scratching. The scratching is gone as well most of the black speckles apart from an odd one here and there. Even the ends of reels are clean compared to when the print first arrived.

Not long ago a I received a print that labeled as been treated at the "Deluxe Labs Film Rejuvenation Centre" or something along those lines??

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-08-2008 12:35 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rejuvenated print when treated with filmguard will look like your car does when it's polished and it rains. There will be dots of water 'streaming' down the print.

There are prints of 'Before The Devil Knows You're Dead' running around Sydney right now with only some reels not rejuvenated so it looks fine say for reel one (I do enjoy reel one of that movie, btw... [Big Grin] ) yet when it goes to reel two it bubbles.

That doesn't explain your trailers though of course...

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does Rejuvenation mean?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: