Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The longest running DP70 / AAII

Author Topic: The longest running DP70 / AAII
Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 02:20 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Copenhagen we have a pair of DP70s (Sn: 1640 & 1644) which have been running since November 3, 1961 in the same cinema. An original installation. The cinema is Imperial Bio.

I'd be interested to know if any FT contributers would know about other cinemas with similar DP70 "mileage". That is, a cinema from the 50s or 60s, still open, with a pair of DP70s still running. There can't be that many original DP70 installations left.

On this page you can find the DP70 theatre lists I've made over the years.

------------------

Cheers, Thomas
www.in70mm.com
www.dp70.com
www.70mm.dk

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 01:03 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, no input to this question????
Are Imperial Bio's DP70s the longest running?

Looking forward to your input.

------------------

Cheers, Thomas
www.in70mm.com
www.dp70.com
www.70mm.dk

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 04:05 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four DP70 (817+825+1854+1890). The first Todd-AO theatre in New Zeeland. Opened in 1958 with "South Pacific". DP70 817 & 825 was moved to the Civic, Auckland because a shipping strike delayed the arrival of DP70 1854+1890. The Plaze got DP70 1854 & 1890 instead when they finally arrived.
The Civic has still got these installed I hope to get verification when I next visit and take photo,s , though still not the longest installation.

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the Empire in Leicester Square had the three DP75s installed in 1959 for Ben Hur - apparently they were installed in the old theatre in a downstairs booth. Dont know if the booth was moved upstairs then or after the 1962 refit. They still have two of these installed in screen 1, however use a FP30D for day to day use. We spent some time in 2000 rebuilding these, fitting sync motors and custom electrics - picture on screen was superb. Sadly the cinema decided to automate and only did this on the FP30, making it a preferred option for one poor guy running three screens over 7 floors.

Otherwise the Columbia in Shaftesbury Ave, London (later the Curzon West and and now the Curzon Soho) was built sometime in the 1950s adn had 2 DP70s there. One was retired in the 1980s and the other in 1990, but one has found a home at the Film Institute of Ireland once again we refitted, customised the electrics and put this in a couple of years ago. They regularly run 70mm on a 50' screen to 300 people..

Paul -

Good to hear from NZ. As I recall it, the Plaza and Cinerama both had DP70s, but the Civic had Baurs upstairs and DP75s in the Wintergarden. Were the DP70s there before it was twinned ? I know at some time the Baurs were moved to Mid City - I dont know why ? I also have a vague recollection that the Wintergardens DP75s also moved to Mid City - did the DP70s wind up in the Wintergarden ? Shows my age I guess - none of these places are still there, bar the Civic...

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 01:57 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,yes I did see the Bauers at the Mid City (this place is now a night club as is the St. James Complex)and thay did have 35/70 set up on No 1 screen , the Wintergarden had a pair of Philips as well not too sure if DP70 although capable of 70 , I'll have to check with Digby Slater if the DP70,s were ever replaced as last time I checked they were installed , but were not going to be used in the restored Civic as they wanted to use the theatre for Live shows only , until there was an uproar to have cinema capability , then no one wanted to pay for DTS sound until they were once again forced to spend the money and get it done right as the theatre is owned by the Auckland City Council people wanted the right to go to the movies as they have always done in the past and watch the stars if the movie got boring.

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were Norelco AAII in several theatres in Denver while I was in the business there. But to a theatre all have been taken out of service. The Cooper was torn down to make a Barnes & Nobel book store. The Century 21 was turned in to a stereo store and The Mighty Continental was turned in to a 6-plex. The Norelco is still there but not used. I know the Cooper 7 had a Norelco but that closed. I think there may still be one running in Boulder.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the pair of DP-70 prototypes still getting used daily at Todd-AO Sound studios??? While not theatrical use they have surely taken a beating checking the thousands upon thousands of 70mm reels after being sounded.

Mark @ GTS

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2002 09:13 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul -

Off subject I know, but I've lost contact details of Digby - he trained me at the Hollywood in Avondale and I have a lot of respect for him and owe him a lot. Would you be able to email me his contact details or give him mine - drop me a line peter@fproj.com

Cheers

Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: