Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rewinding Kelmar Cleaning Media

Author Topic: Rewinding Kelmar Cleaning Media
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 01:18 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best way to rewind the media on a Kelmar Cleaner? Hand winding is a pain so we've resorted to a battery-operated screwdriver wiht a makeshift coupling to do the job - but it doesn't rewind evenly every time. Thoughts?
I've searched the site and found no immediate answers.
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2002 01:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know those funny little black core thingies that come with a bottle of Filmguard? Use those. That's what they're for. The part number is EZ2D-001.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 02:58 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Wiseguy, I've got those little black core thingies comin' out my ears. I have one duct-taped to en electric screwdriver to make my life easier. However, I can't imagine everyone else doing the same and I know I'm missing something basic here. Hence my request. So Joe, if you could explain in detail... Until then, the dunce-cap is ON.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2002 03:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I just position the side of my thumb and/or index finger on the take up as I'm rewinding and that ensures a smooth rewind. Actually I think there might be specific instructions somewhere on the site (not the forum). Rewinding a cleaner only adds about 45 seconds at most to my overall threading time per auditorium.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 03:42 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Joe. After reading the review of FilmGuard, I've realized that there isn't some secret trick to rewinding them with the "ez2drop" core. Just that when I first started using the cleaner 5 months ago I felt there must have been an easier way to rewind them with that core (thinking there was a secret "T" configuration). Depending on the length of the film I just rewind the media after the print's second or third run. Before I attached a core to the electric driver my hand would ache something awful after rewind - probably due to carpel tunnel or arthritis kicking in. So I figured I was doing it wrong. Guess I wasn't. I'll keep the dunce-cap on for now though.

By the way, we ran our print of Monsoon Wedding 530 times. All shows ran through the Kelmar cleaner. Once a week media pads were changed out and FilmGuard applied. That print left looking just as good as it did day one. Throughout this I had been training 4 different people on a Norelco AAII who had never run projection - I was sure that print would have been damaged at some point and if it had it didn't show.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 03:43 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
make sure you're taping the media to the cores straight, otherwise you'll be fighting it the whole way to keep things in line.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-07-2002 03:51 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Use a friction wrap. Tape does not stick to Film Guard.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 04:56 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off the subject and excuse me..........
Good to hear from you Matt and happy to hear you are still seeeking advise from us pros.
I heard this along time ago and it sticks........you'll learn something new everyday.
Good night from the Emerald City.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2002 06:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the latest version of the FilmGuard manual. It now has pictures demonstrating exactly the best way to handle the rewinding, along with other useful tidbits.

Make sure you set the zoom to 100% and no other setting or the pictures will look choppy.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the best way (for me) to rewind is just to loosen the take-up as usual and use my middle finger to rewind the media. This allows for a very smooth rewind which is not always the case using the cores. I then use the core at the end of the rewind to tighten up the wind a little.

...but that's just me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: