Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sealing leaky intermittents?

Author Topic: Sealing leaky intermittents?
Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two leaky (Century)intermittents that I have removed from my projectors, aside from the leaking they run just fine. One leaks around the actual housing underneath the oil sight glass, the other right out of the oil drain.

I tried different washers and "o" rings on the one that leaks out the oil drain but nothing helped, should I try thread tape on the screw or could that work it's way into the movement?

Could I just open up the intermittent housing and run a bead of silicone around the drum on the other, or would I be opening up a can of worms?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-04-2002 11:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave the worms in the can. Just get a new 'o' ring and make sure the surface area is completely clean, and has no damage on it. It might have remnants of other gaskets. I think there might be a small washer that could be missing. Check the parts blow-up to make sure if it calls for one.

Don't over-fill. That should handle the other problem.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-05-2002 01:43 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to put the felt plug in the oil fill hole on the non-operating side of the intermittent.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually replacing the sight window gaskets is very easy. All you need is a a very wide blade screw driver, a new window, and two new sight window gaskets, a new housing gasket and new washers and coper washer for the housing set screws. While you're at it a new cam pin should also be installed. Total cost for all these parts is under 20.00!! Fist,disasemble the case halves being careful to leave the two clearance adjustment screws alone. Remove the cam and use a drift punch to force the old cam pin out from behind while supporting the face in a smooth jawed vice. Then tap the new one in from the front with a small brass hammer. Thats done, and takes less than a minuite. Now, with the wide blade screw driver(or one that you made) unscrew the ring that holds the sight glass in place, remove the old window and gasket(s)and throw the old gasket(s) and window in the trash. Be sure the seat for the sight glass is perfectly clean. Lay in a new gasket, then the new window, then another gasket and screw the retaining nut back in place firmly.. Be sure the mating surfaces of both case halves are clean and lay a new gasket in place. Then screw both halves of the housing back together evenly and gradually like a cylinder head. Check for smooth operation by rotating the movement by hand with the flywheel in place. There should be no binding and it should turn absolutely smoothly except for the small resistance you may feel when the pin enters the slot in the star. If all seems ok re-install it, fill with your choice of oil(hopefully LaVezzi Synthetic) and test run the movement for 30 min., then retime the shutter.

This should stop most of the leaking, and the movement should also run alot quieter with the new pin in place. If it still continues to leak then it is probably excessive wear in the bushings. Any leaking out the rear breather hole is common if they are overfilled. Any other leaks usually indicates deteriorating gaskets, or just wear in general.
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: