Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Too much dirt in 16mm gate aperture

Author Topic: Too much dirt in 16mm gate aperture
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a video clip of a 1965 animated Screen Gems TV logo clip.
It shows a lot of dirt around the edges of the 16mm gate aperture.
Also there is some damage to the film possibly resulting from what is mentioned above. On one of the frames,an area of the emulsion has been torn off. I think Mr. Pytlak & others can view & explain this clip. www.retromedia.tv/media/screengems.ram Also on the same retromedia.tv site, there is what I believe to be 35 mm perf buzz at the start of a 1969 NBC promo clip with the old peacock logo.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Matthew I must ask, do you enjoy getting scared shitless watching the Screen Gems logo over and over? You seem to have some kind of biazarre fondness for it.

(For the people who have no idea what I'm talking about, do a search for "screen gems".)

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 08:04 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not at all. Not scared of it.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 07:37 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that you can see the aperture shows me that the transfer to video was improperly done. Yep, it's dirty. Yes, dirty pressure plates damage film. I'd be willing to bet that this video transfer wasn't done at a TV station. It's not even square with the frame. Your point is...?

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly can't find figure out the point this time . I always do figure out what the the point is but now I can't. *******!!!!!
It's not my fault that I can't figure out the point this time & I'm
not mad at anyone but myself because of this dilemma of finding the point. Let someone
else figure out the point correctly,please,being honest here.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2002 08:25 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else confused at this point?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-06-2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck no!

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2002 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE Point is ........ummmmmm.......ahhhhhh.....well I don,t know

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-06-2002 04:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody tell Matthew that I found the point? It was in the last place I looked. It always is for some odd reason.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 03:43 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this all may be a conspiracy to force us to look for a point in all this when in fact there is none and we have all wasted .02 seconds of our lives.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 03:57 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried going back to 1965 and cleaning up that aperture and running some filmguard on the clip.
They couldnt understand what filmguard was even after I tried to explain, so I just had to tell them to wait about 35 years and then everything would become clear.
I got all the dirt off the aperture and off the film, but couldnt do much for the stripped emultion.
Apparently my efforts were in vain, because when I got back to present time, I viewed the clip again and the dirt around the aperture, and on the film were there.
My guess is they never cleaned that aperture again and transfered to video at a later time.
I guess I should have showed them how to clean the aperture themselves so this wouldnt happen.
Damn.
Oh well.
If anyone knows when the transfer was done, I will gladly go back and do it again, and finish the job this time.
It doesnt matter how long it takes to find out when the transfer was done though.
I have all the time in the world.
It is a time machine, you know.

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 07:42 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I t looks kile someone ignored the various thing on proper film/equipment use & care whether intentional or not What would cause a telecine or projector to tear off part of the emulsion,I don't know. Whoever did this should have cleaned the equipment &
moved the machune back some to mask out the aperture edges.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2002 02:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the person who was running the telecine equipment KNEW he was transferring the Screen Gems logo, realized it was one of the lamest and dull logos ever made, and as such came to the conclusion that it simply did not matter. Perhaps? I could buy it.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 07:57 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or perhaps they were too scared of the logo to watch what they were doing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: