Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Alchohol swab (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Alchohol swab
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 12:39 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like how Christie gives you an alchohol swab with each xenon bulb in case the bulb is touched. Can I buy these at a local store? What type of store? And does it matter what kind of alchohol I use? (I don't know what kind is on those Christie swabs, but I've always been told to use denatured alchohol.)

----------
This one time, at projection camp, I cleaned a xenon bulb with alchohol, and it was SOOOO funny!

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 02:45 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew that!

I have been installing Christie lamps for 10+ years and I never knew that they gave you an Alchohol Swab in each lamp box. I didn't belive it when I read this post and went to look in a box. There it was in the little Zip Lock bag in the box. In all my years I never touched the lamp glass so I never needed to wipe off fingerprints.

I know I am one of the least observant people I know, but damn! Well I guess that is my new thing to learn today.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 04:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? You didn't believe little old me? I'm hurt!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-04-2002 06:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, maybe they give that swab to wipe something else when the damn thing blows up.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-04-2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it is a tiny ballistic jacket in case your tech is Austin Power's "Mini Me" .....a few weeks ago I did some projection / tech training for 60 people and this was one of the items we mentioned.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TexPad 801

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 01:03 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
you could use isopropylic alcohol.

Philippe

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-05-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I use isopropyl alcohol and distilled water (and plenty of it) to clean a suspected contaminated bulb. If I accidently touch a xenon bulb, I'll give the whole bulb a bath....seems to me one clean spot on a dirty bulb can cause almost just as much of a problem as a dirty spot on a clean bulb. As we all know, uneven thermal stress in critical areas of glass is not a very good idea.

Don't use tap water. It has too many impurities that are left behind when it dries. If you don't have distilled water available, just a couple of bottles of Isypropyl will do....

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-05-2002 02:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not India pale ale unfortunately ) swabs which come in sealed paper wrappers in our first aid boxes. I promptly remove these because the idea of using a corrosive chemical to treat a wound is just plain stupid, not to mention the fact that (i) some people are allergic to IPA and (ii) the use of any medicines or chemicals, apart from water and saline solution in eye washes, is illegal in first aid at work here.

If you're going to use the stuff on any significant scale, it would probably be a lot cheaper to buy a bottle of IPA and a packet of lint-free (i.e. non-abrasive) cloths than individual, wrapped swabs. As you're not using them for first aid, they don't need to be clinically sterile.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-05-2002 02:21 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and don't use the same wipe twice. Just like cleaning a floor or a window. You can't clean a window with a dirty rag. Nor can you clean a floor with water that is dirtier than the floor.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-05-2002 03:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
...and yet you CAN clean film with "dirty media pads"!

(I didn't mean to take away from your serious and good advice, Paul. I just hear that a lot from hard-headed people who won't give some new things a chance. Ya gotta admit though, it's funny to watch people's reactions when it is proven to them.)

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 11:10 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're going to use the stuff on any significant scale, it would probably be a lot cheaper to buy a bottle of IPA and a packet of lint-free (i.e. non-abrasive) cloths than individual, wrapped swabs. As you're not using them for first aid, they don't need to be clinically sterile.

I'm not going to be using them on a significant scale. Just to clean a bulb if it is touched. Speaking of first aid, I didn't even think of that. Although they don't need to be clinically sterile, would those work?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-05-2002 11:52 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-06-2002 06:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken - can't see any reason why they wouldn't work. As they are sterile, you'd be sure that there's absolutely nothing in the sealed pouch except the cloth and the IPA.

You would have to make sure that the cloth is lint-free, though, or else it might scratch the surface of the bulb.

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 05:06 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I wear thin white cotton gloves when I install a new christie bulb. That way im shure not to get any finger prints on it

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: