Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Heading South to Texas very soon. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Heading South to Texas very soon.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-02-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trip that Josh and I are making to the Fort Worth/Dallas, Texas is rapidly approaching. Brad suggested we post our travel plans so that members of Film-Tech and others will know when we come through your area.

Hopefully, some of you will invite Josh and me to stop by your theatre for a tour and some picture taking. It would also be great to see some operational outdoor theatres, too.

As it stands today, we will be leaving West Fargo, North Dakota Monday morning, 22 July 2002. We will be heading to Omaha, Nebraska on Interstate 29. We expect to arrive in Omaha Monday night.

After the tour of Strong International on Tuesday, we should be available to visit some of the theatres in the Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska, as well as Council Bluffs, Iowa.

We will then depart that area, and head for the Topeka and Kansas City area, and our arrival will probably be Tuesday night. Starting Wednesday morning, we would like to visit some of the theatres in that area. From there, we will proceed to Wichita, Kansas via I-335, and will probably stay in that city Wednesday night. Thursday, We will have some time available to visit some theatres in that area before heading to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. We will use I-35 for that leg of the trip. Depending on the driving time, there may or may not be adequate time to visit theatres in Okalmoma City. However, it might be possible to stop and visit in that area on the return trip to North Dakota.

After clearing the Oklahoma City area, we will proceed to the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas. We expect to arrive late Thursday night, and remain in that area until Saturday morning. From there, we will depart the area, and begin our return journey to North Dakota.

If some of the Forum members live in the smaller cities along the Interstate highway, Josh and I will create a 25 or 30-mile shadow so we can come and see you. on the return trip.

We hope to see some of you soon. If you have any questions or need any more information, please feel free to email me at shuttershaft@aol.com, or email Josh at reelman84@hotmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon.

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-02-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on everyone, what could be better? You'll get the opportunity to show off your theater in the picture warehouse online here, plus you'll get to meet Josh AND the Weenie Man!

Be sure and let these boys know if you are within reasonable detour from their route.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-02-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what exactly I could recommend in the Oklahoma City area for decent theaters. The one THX screen they had (at the Penn Square Mall 10 theater) is currently closed and undergoing renovation by Dickinson Theaters. No word on whether some of the same equipment will be used or not. The one THX house had 70mm, but hadn't shown anything in 70mm since 1992. Whenever I see movies in OKC, it is usually at the AMC Quail Springs Mall 24. It is a decent house I suppose, but I like the little Carmike theater in my town more (DTS on all 8 screens, with two built for THX; good decor, good management). But I-44 is not exactly on the way to Dallas unless you want to go 200 miles out of your way.

Michael Wohlford
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for Michael Wohlford   Email Michael Wohlford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can stop by in Round Rock, alittle north of Austin, TX. We are right off IH-35. Email me for the address.

Mike Wohlford

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 07:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Be sure and let these boys know if you are within reasonable detour from their route.

Does Florida count?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-02-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
To see one of the oddest-designed auditoriums in Wichita, stop by the Northrock 14 (located behind the Northrock 6) on North Rock Rd at K-96 and check out their "Gem" auditoriums. A rather large screen, the floor seating slopes away from the screen and the balcony seating is above the projection room, which has a huge window because of the extra-short throw. The theater is almost a twin to the Starworld 20 in Tulsa. You may also try the Landmark Twin Drive-In on South Hydraulic in Wichita, but I haven't been there myself.

I can't say that there's anything spectacular in OKC, except the marquee of the Winchester Drive-In on South Western Avenue.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 01:07 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul,Josh

If you make it to Austin stop by the Highland 10 M-F 5:30 till close or Sat Open to 6 and I will show you around.

William T. Parr
Chief Projectionst
EFW Highland 10

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Paul; I'm making every effort to get back from my Asia trip in time for that lunch I owe you...

Pat

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-07-2002 01:19 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the invites! Manuel, can we come and visit you in Oklahoma City? Maybe we can fix your sound problem.

Bobby, I didn't know Lawton was so far off the track. Bummer. We will make a decision about that when we arrive at the freeway cut-off.

Pat, we will certainly look forward to the visit at Strong International.

James Hammond, I hope you can make it to Dallas. If not, Josh and I will have to see if we can squeeze the trip a little. It will depend on how many stops we make.

I know this is going to be a fun trip. A special thanks goes to Brad, who will host us in Dallas. It will be great to be among friends. Ethan and Don, it will be a pleasure to meet both of you as well as other Film-Techer's that will be there.

I have some of your telephone numbers, so you might hear from us before we arrive in your area. Bobby, James, and Manuel, if you email your phone numbers to us, we will contact you as the trip progresses. Neither Josh or I have laptops to plug into the motels, so both of us will be in the black hole for that time we are on the road. We will be on the Cellular Phone, and that number is (360)929-3152. Please feel free to call us.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Paul

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 02:20 AM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure!

Bobby
When was the last time you were at a theatre in OKC? I have to admit our presentation wasn't much about a year and a half ago, the booth manager then didn't even know how to pull a trailer! I had to show him for crying out loud! It has picked up quite a bit. As far as the AMC goes, yes they do business but as I have stated before location plays a big role so they slack on quality a lot. One time one of their projectionist came by to pick up a print of Life or Something Like It that we had screened that week. We have different platters so bringing over a ring won't work and they came to get it about an hour before their screening so there wasn't time to break it down. So what was his idea, take the ring out and just carry it with clamps. Problem was his trunk was full of stuff so in order to move all of it we had to put down the print. And where did he put it. On the F*&$#@G GROUND! Yes, thats right, on a dirty concrete sidewalk. His response when I told him not to? I'll just run it through the film cleaner. I SHIT YOU NOT! I haven't been to many of their shows but from what I have seen their presentation is average. But with things like that happening I am scared to see their booth.
As far as the new Dickenson goes, one of my fellow managers worked for the Dickenson in Tulsa and is hearing from some old buddies as far as what is happening. So far he has only told me they are tearing out the ground level floor in order to build stadium seating.

Paul
When you come, give me an honest, or better yet, a pessimistic evaluation. I am a big boy, I can take it. Besides the best lessons that are learned in life are from mistakes and criticism. You could visit the OmniDome right next door. One of the projectionists there works off and on at our theatre. The "Dome" was recently rated as one of the best large format theates nation wide. And not to be a begger, I would greatly appreciate a fair amount of FG that could be exchanged for a reasonable price. As you know I work for Cinemark, no FG!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-07-2002 10:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
You'd better take your pontoons with you and an outboard motor, life Jackets, etc!! Perhaps you'll run into the Soggy Bottom Boys down there......
Mark @ GTS

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-07-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Manuel, the last time I was in OKC to see a film was just last weekend. I watched "Minority Report" at the AMC 24-plex in Quail Springs Mall. We usually wind up going there since my friends live close by in Edmond. You're right about the mall location bringing in the business. That's what hurts the Cinemark Tinseltown theater at MLK Blvd and I-44. Sure, Remington Park and Omniplex are close by, but then you have a combat zone of a neighborhood not too far away either.

And yes, I would agree, the AMC complex sometimes lets their presentation quality fall in the "average" category. With SDDS on every screen, if I see a film there I usually try to do so withing the first week or two of the run otherwise the SDDS starts tripping out. My main gripe with this theater, regardless of whether the SDDS works or not, is those dumbass ceiling mounted surrounds. To make the surround array even worse, many of the Quail Springs 24 auditoriums have no back wall speakers at all. So basically you only get a big left-right stereo effect above your head for surround sound.

I haven't seen a movie at the OKC Tinseltown 20 in awhile. I don't have much against the theater, particularly since I usually choose one just like it in Colorado Springs when I visit my parents. One thing I think needs to be improved with the OKC Tinseltown 20 is its newspaper advertising. I'm under the impression your theater doesn't have digital surround on all screens. The Tinseltown directory ad isn't very clear on what shows are playing with or without digital sound. I'm spoiled to digital sound. I admit it. If the ads are unclear I usually don't gamble with my $7. I know the AMC complex has SDDS on every screen, so I know what I am getting. I've never set foot in Regal's recently built Crossroads Mall theater because their ads have never been clear, and I cannot get a straight answer on the phone from their staff either.

There's a lot of movie theaters who say nothing about technical presentation, and I sometimes think this is done to hoodwink the customers. The Carmike 8 in Lawton has DTS on every screen, and proclaims it in their directory ad. The opposing Dickinson Theater in Central Mall says nothing about the 2 screens out of 12 they have featuring DTS. If they don't say anything in the ad, some customers may just automatically assume since this is a new theater its equipment is just as good as the Carmike.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-07-2002 02:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I guess the area we are going to missed all the downpours. Some of those cities in the flooding areas really got hammered very badly.

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 11:44 AM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul & Josh,
Here is an article that was posted on www.cinematreasures.com today. Thought you might be interested

The old State Theatre reopened last Friday showing "Spider-Man" in its second-run with a theater full of volunteers running the show. According to the Lawrence Journal World/AP, the State had been closed for two years before being purchased by a non-profit organization for $90,000.

The theater was recently renovated and its famous neon marquee is still being repaired with plans to reinstall it in the near future. The State is the only theater in this small town of 4,200 residents and originally opened in the late 1940s.

------------------
"That's a chip up the nose, Ken" Fish Called Wanda

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-08-2002 09:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's looking like we will have quite the gathering going on at the end of this month. Come join in on the gathering! It's Friday the 26th of this month.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: