Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Custom DTS trailer discs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Custom DTS trailer discs
Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to burn a custom DTS disc to include trailers from several different sources? We run a first-and-a-half run theatre and sometimes would like to run trailers for a confirmed new-for-us second run show in combination with national upcoming features. I have all the hardware, i'm just not sure how to tell which track on the DTS disc is the audio for a specific trailer, if its even possible.

-adam

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-30-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bumped up the topic "DTS and Policy trailors" for you.

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-01-2002 12:33 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, here is what Karen from DTS said on eh DTS trailer files - can they be bla bla bla .....
No Mike, the trailers are complied into one file (Reel 14) and you cannot extract just one.
Karen at DTS

The trailer disc is a subscribed disc that the studios sign up for and the disc is always changing.
Movie discs are a different story. A studio will let us a film but only wants trailers from THEIR upcoming films on it. They don't want other studios' films on their discs.

The feature discs belong to the studios, not DTS. However, the trailer discws belong to us.

Karen at DTS

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-01-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly possible, Paul. We do it here all the time; see my link in "do you prefer DTS or Dolby?" on page 8.

--jhawk

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-01-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John. But that topic is 8 pages long, and I don't think my feeble mind (what's left of it) can handle that many pages.

Not this morning, anyway.

Oh, Jeeze....you said page 8. <slapping myself silly>

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 04:10 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I read what Karen wrote, but i took that as meaning that the trailers included on the feature discs were one track, but that the trailer discs were compiled differently. I'll have to check out John's link.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

All trailers are compiled into one file - reel 14. There is no way to extract them once complied together (when they are all lumped together into one file).

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All trailers are reel 14.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 08:13 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All trailers on movie discs are listed under the feature's name

If you have a trailer disc, all trailer titles are listed.

Trailer discs are free to DTS theaters that have DTS-6D or DTS-6AD units. If you would like to add your theater to the distribution list, send me an email with name & shipping address of theater (no P.O. boxes), telephone number, and name of the theater manager.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-01-2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah HA....so what happens when there is a feature that is 15 reels long? And if you think they don't exist, try 21 reels. Which film? SHOAH. And it's not some insignificat title either -- it won all kinds of awards and could easily wind up getting rereleased with a DTS track. What made them choose 14? MY FAIR LADY comes in at 12 reels, isn't that a little too close for comfort....why not choose something really safe, like Reel 50 or something?

Frank

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-01-2002 11:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS encodes the reel number as 4 bits (16 "reels"). Features longer than 13 reels presumably get split up into two different serial numbers.

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-02-2002 12:35 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
13 reels at 23 minutes per real would work out to be a minute short of 5 hours. Which is close to what 3 whole DTS soundtrack discs can hold. So after the first 5 hours of film you'd have to swap out the discs for the rest of your more than 13 reel 5+ hour show. I suppose this would be a good point to use a new serial number and start back at 'reel 1'.

Now that I think of it, you'd be probably running this beast reel to reel (or with an intermission) since you may have a little bit of a hard time trying to get a 21 reel movie on a single platter deck. So at one of the changeovers or the platter re-thread you could do a 'digital changeover' with the DTS player.

If you really wanted to (when encoding the soundtrack) you could use the maximum amount of timecoding per reel and only start a new 'sound reel' when the max is reached, instead of have the DTS player 'change reels' at the end of the physical reels. This would probably give you a bit more time, but you'd still run out of time on the actual discs.

After watching a movie for 5 hours I would be willing to bet that not to many people would notice it drop into SR for the rest of the show if done in a subtle enough point in the movie.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-02-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, perhaps a little more useful...

I don't know which unit you have but does it support hot-swapping the discs like the 6AD unit will do (like when the feature has just started and you're just receiving FED-EX envelope with the discs in it)?

If it does you could load in the first disc for the feature and put the trailer disc in the other drive that you would normally have the second feature disc in. Then when the trailers are done pull out the trailer disc and put in the second feature disc.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All trailers are always reel 14 - no exceptions.

No problem is a film is over 13 reels long - we just skip 14 and keep right on counting. So, reel 14 would become 15, etc.

Karen at DTS

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any film over 5 hours would most surely have an intermission. During that time, discs could be changed to accomidate the last part of the feature. We've done this sporatically in the past - Gettysberg and Doctor Zivago (sp?). Sure, neither of those films was 5 hours, but we will do this (one set of discs for the first half and another set of discs for the second half) for any film that requires more than two discs. We don't want to leave any customer with 2-drive players out in the cold!

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: