Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Black CP55 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Black CP55
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2002 10:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just installed a (new to us) Dolby CP55 processor in our #3 house. It replaces an updated Dolby CP50 with a flip down door and an electronic switch card. The CP55 is unique because it came with a black door. Do any of you know why some CP55s came with black doors? We had to upgrade the unit by purchasing a new SR/A card, the newest version of the CAT150 card, I believe it is the “F” release, and a new 441 card to replace the 241 card that was in the unit. We need the 441 card so we can do split surrounds.

In the process of switching out the processors we discovered that the left channel amp wasn’t working and we weren’t hearing the left channel speaker. I knew I wanted to replace the processor because the stereo image wasn’t convincing, but perhaps that had a lot to do with it? We installed another QSC1400 so we could have 6 (make that 5) channels as we don’t have a sub in there. We changed the DTS unit to stereo surround output and so we are good to go.

The new processor came to us as a “permanent loan.” But now our new, “free” processor has cost us $4,000 to upgrade and install. I’m sure it’s worth it. We now have a CP50 in storage but more importantly we have an SRA5 unit that needs a new home. I am sure we will be able to find it that home as soon as we take over our next theatre.

Change is good. We now have an almost complete collection of Dolby processors. We just need a CP200 and a CP650 to round out the collection. We won’t discuss the CP100 or the CP45. I’m sure at this rate we will be getting a nice used CP650 in about the year 2010.

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 10:36 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ian (Big Me),

I had two all black CP55's at the Padre Staples in Corpus. I was told the all black ones were manufactured in England and were designed to go in a 3ft tall wall mount rack that came with a backplane that held 4 dual cannel plug in amps. All Dolby built of course, which is the way my set up was originally at the Padre. The prebuilt unit also included a Dolby booth monitor I beleive was called a CP1000 maybe Brad can verify that. The first units I ever saw that had the Blue trim around the door was at the UA Plaza 8 in Dallas. Year of Manufactur could have something to do with it as the Padre was built in 1986 which I believe was close to the time the CP55 was making it's Debut.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-28-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't we discussing the CP-45?

Is it because of the squealing metallic sound it produces or is there still ANOTHER reason?

I swear, I was happy with my 45's until somebody went and pointed that out to me...now I can't stop hearing it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-28-2002 07:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Ian...I just gotta ask....

Why didn't you connect your SRA-5 to your Nused CP-55 to get REAL SR without the nearly $2000 price tag of the phoney SR? Again...just curious.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
Realistically I think you need a more honest dealer/service person to take care of your stuff. Why on earth would you HAVE to upgrade the 150 card?? Thats ludicrous as won't you be runing digital most of the time anyway?? Anyone that would not install the SRA-5 along with the 55 should be shot and hung out to rot. The 280T's in the SRA-5 sound far better than the 222 SR/A card ever will. Unless you were missing the 150 card altogether I really don't get it. Also, for several hunderd dollars more you could have bought a far superior Panastereo CSP-1200 and been light years ahead.......
Mark @ GTS

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2002 03:35 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, the black CP55 you have is from a CP1000. This is the unit described above that incorporated monitor, reversible amps and processor. It was popular back in the mid-1980's and was used by Hoyts in many of their early multiplex theatres. Good little unit that was found wanting when you wanted the little amps to drive a digital set-up.

David

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-29-2002 09:45 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of both a black door CP-55 *and* this CP-1000 system.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-29-2002 10:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't used CP-65s available for not much more than the $4k price mentioned above?

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-29-2002 10:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Mark is right, in the $4K price range, the CSP-1200 is tough to beat, new or used. Though I wouldn't question Ian and his dealer's actions as boldly as Mark just did...perhaps there is more here than meets the eye.

As to the Cat.150...depending on the situation, the new decoder could make a difference and whereas Ian owns an Art/Rep house, analog must be considered as a primary format on some films. The 150C, as used in the CP-55 is nothing more than a 150B with LEDs...the 150B being nothing more than a 150 with a better delay board. The 150F would be a notable improvement in most categories plus it has auto-balance.

Steve

------------------

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My not installing the SRA5 box with the CP55 was just Brain Damage and Stupidity on my part. My cinema dealer was just following instructions. I suppose I could send the SR/A card back for a refund but I think I will hold on to it. We have had a profitable year and the SRA5 box might come in handy on a future install.

I have zero experience with Panastereo. I have never heard it and I have never seen it outside of ShoWest. I am more comfortable with Dolby and am aiming to be all Dolby Digital in the future. I lust after SA's ribbon loudspeaker but have never heard them in anger, so I will not specify them for an install untill I have heard them. I feel the same way about Panastereo, I have never heard it.

On a positive note, that room has never sounded better.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
I can have a CSP-1200 at your door step for 2 weeks any time you are interested in trying one out. Its THE best processor on the market, no holds barred. Just let me know. As far as the Stage Accompany speakers go you would not regret installing them!!
Mark @ GTS

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-29-2002 11:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Mark's opinion on the CSP-1200. It is THE BEST cinema processor on the market right now. I'm not saying it is the way I personally would have made a unit (the mighty CP-200 is the closest to that) but at the moment, the Panastereo CSP-1200 wins in just about every category, cost, reliability, sonic performance, build quality.

I'll go a step further...the CSP-1200 is the best cinema processor since the CP-200...I'll put it up against the CP-55 or CP-65 any day (and the CP-45 just wasn't worth considering). And one thing the CSP-1200 won't do, forget it's level and EQ.. the CP-500 and CP-650 sure will (even bypass).

Steve

------------------

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-30-2002 09:06 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also find the CSP1200 the best for features as well with both a mag and 2 dedicated digital inputs an AV input a programable mic input and 2 non sync inputs extremely flexable
I installed the first ones in Canada in 3 art rep houses and they are still the most flexible when special video and live events come in

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 03:24 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Kraus: "I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of both a black door CP-55 *and* this CP-1000 system"

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-30-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: