Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Progector to sound head mounting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Progector to sound head mounting
Geof Abruzzi
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for Geof Abruzzi   Email Geof Abruzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theater has a kind of franken-projector: Pieces from here and there. The Projector itself is a Brenkert (BX-60, I think), and the soundhead is currently a RCA 9030. We have a replacement sound head - Simplex SH-1020, that I would like to install.

Apparently we'll need to fabricate the mount to the RCA pedestal, but I've been told that the projector to soundhead mounting is standard, and the two should go together without problem. It's hard to tell if this is the case without disassembling, which I don't want to do if I don't have to, until the actual switch.

I need to know before I order the LED reader for the Simplex, so does anyone know if this will this work?

thanks,

Geof

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-25-2002 12:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LED readers can be obtained for the 9030 as well. You might be better off ordering a LED reader for the RCA and use what you have.

Finding an adapter to mount the Simplex sound head to the pedistal could be a major problem. You will probably have to get a different drive gear, too. Mechanically, the BX* will mount to the Simplex sound head, providing you have the flatbar that bolts to the projector head's bottom. Without that, you are dead in the water.

And be careful with the bolt lengths that are used to bolt the bar to the projector head. If they are too long, you will bust the BX* casting.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-25-2002 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use the Simplex soundhead...

Call your nearest WOLK dealer for the proper adapter to mate your pedestal to the Simplex soundhead. Wolk has come up with, in the past year, brackets to go either way, RCA->Simplex or Simplex -> RCA

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Andrew Walls
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Walls   Email Andrew Walls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I no longer have them, I have used those brackets from wolk on several occasions. Works like a charm when trying to bring franken projector to life.

- AW

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-26-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Donning the flame proof suit, blast deflectors, and metal fragment absorbers...)

OK - I am trying to visualize what the 1020 looks like. If it is like the 1004 or 1007, then I say: BAH!

I would use it only if that is all I had. They are a good soundhead, don't get me wrong on that. On a used equipment installation, I will accept either an RCA 90** or a Simplex SH-10**, whatever is available.

The thing that irritates me about some of the older SH10** sound heads is their lateral guide roller bracket. They have been known to snap off on the head, warp, and allow the film to skew all over the place, and the release trigger set screw works loose and screws up the locking shaft. However, I never had that problem with the 5-Star.

I never had an RCA fall apart......but I have had plenty of Simplex's fall apart in that area.

Why go through the expense of buying an adapter, gear, and all that other crap when you don't need it? Use the RCA and just put the reverse scan in it. That's all.

Sounds like you are making too much unnecessary work for yourself, and what you gain will be next to nothing, unless your 9030 is in a bad need of overhaul.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For that matter, overhauling a 9030 is pretty straightforward job. Replacement gears, bearings and gaskets are readily available and it's a pretty robust, but simple soundhead to work on...much better built, in my opinion, than any of the Simplex heads.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-26-2002 10:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1020 is an excellent soundhead the compartment under the excitor is deeper to allow a plugin preamp

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-26-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost without exception, I can get a Simplex soundhead to align better than an RCA...I've had RCA lateral guide rollers, more often than not allow the film to weave too much.

Steve

------------------

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-27-2002 12:38 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too much WD-40. As far as the roller, shaft, bearings and spacers are concerned, they are damned near identical in design. So why the difference other than maybe they are worn out or gummed up with coagulated projector oil and/or WD-40?

Gordon, those 1020's have deeper compartments to store more crap in.

Does or did the 1020 have that exciter turret that never worked properly? Or were they discontinued as a bad idea in that model?

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-27-2002 08:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just found that the whole pinch roller head to be sloppy on the RCA's I've dealt with. I'm not a big fan of their exciter holders either. Ya know, the head was OK for mono.

As to the Simplex vintages. The exciter "turret" as you call it was only on the indoor models (those models also shouldn't have springs on their door stays since gravity would keep the doors open). The exciter holder we all think of in the Simplex was really the Drive-In holder....

However, most people replaced that crappy turret with the drive-in holder and Simplex did indeed can the turreted exciter lamp in the SH-1020 version which was common to both indoor and drive in.

Century had one of the coolest double exciter holders though...one pointing up, one pointing down. Separate lateral adjustments for each too. In fact, the Uptown still uses them. Why Century discontinued it so long ago is beyond me. It worked and, unlike Simplex, you couldn't just pull out the single Century exciter holder.

Steve

------------------

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-27-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Geof Abruzzi
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Geof Abruzzi   Email Geof Abruzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank for the comments and suggestions. The RCA we have seems pretty worn, and the simplex was purchased (prior to me) as a replacement for it. I will look into the Wolk adapters. I'm somewhat new to this world, but I'm learning quick. Again, thanks.

Geof

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wolk definitely has them. I just ordered one myself so that I could hang a Ballantyne on an RCA pedestal. They retail for $125.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-04-2005 09:07 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 953 days since the last post.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2005 09:07 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wanting to mate a BX-100 to a 9030 and I need a plate that serves like the bar on the SH-1000s. I found an old Century C that had a 1/4" plate attached to its base, the plate extends somewhat past the back and front walls of the C's casting and the shape of the plate looks something like a backwards "F". I have no clue what this old C used to be attached to but I wondered if the plate might be recognizable as being for an RCA soundhead? FYI, the plate is attached to the base of C by two huge-headed inset screws.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: