Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector Rebuilding Question

Author Topic: Projector Rebuilding Question
Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back I mentioned in this forum that I have a Simplex Standard (aka "Normal") projector head that I am planning to rebuild. This past weekend I began taking it apart and getting it cleaned up. In general, it looks to be in pretty good shape, although I did find a little bit of rust on some internal parts. This was no big suprise since the projector sat for years in an unoccupied, unheated house, before being stored in a warehouse.

My plans are to disassemble the projector, clean it up, then strip and repaint it prior to reassembling it and replacing needed parts.

I'm starting with a degreaser to get the 70-80 years worth of oil and crud off of and out of the machine. Any suggestions concerning what I should soak slightly rusted metal parts, like gears, in before I put them back?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clean 'em off with mineral spirits. After they dry then soak overnight in 20 or 30 weight motor oil.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerosene also works works wonders for removal of lots of gunky residue, plus it is slightly oily. Also, Ken's idea of light oil soaking seems right on to me.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2002 08:01 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerosene is great!

There have been several posts regarding repainting heads.

Strong is now powdercoating new units, and Mark G. says that he has had great results with this.

After cleaning and stripping, washing with a good clean metal paint prep etchant will stop and kill any corrosion and is excellent for paint prep!

Several people have different types of paint that they prefer. I am partial to Duplicolor High Temp Oil/Grease/Gas resistant engine paints. However, I am currently upset with this product... I must have gotten a can from a defective batch, as there seems to be no hardener in the paint and four weeks later it still has not cured !

Remember to use either Zinc Chromate, Zinc Oxide, or etchant primer on the non ferrous (diecast) parts.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-26-2002 08:45 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duplicolor? Cans?

If it doesn't require mixing, baking, or deadly fumes (preferably all three!) do you really want it on your projector?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-26-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has also been said that heating oil will clean parts up quite nicely. Brake cleaner works good too, but will remove certain types of paints and leave your hands dry and irritated. Personally, I use kerosene

Josh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: