Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dynamic Range Limiting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dynamic Range Limiting
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to limit the dynamic range without loss of fidelity or adding distortion, to a theater sound system?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Smart's Afterburner will do that, but before someone pops on and says it, do remember that it will destroying what the director and sound mixers intended.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-20-2002 02:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So is it just a simple compressor that works for 5.1 channels? Or does the Smart product do more than this?

(I'm not sure that I like the thought of having movies sound exactly like every top-40 FM radio station, personally, but I'm sure it has a use somewhere.)

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a noisy environment, a compressor will do an excellent job limiting very loud peaks while bringing up soft dialog and the like. (Room air conditioning, heating fans, etc constitute a noisy situation where compression may be desirable) Obviously this changes the dynamics from what the director intended, but is reasonable if the background ambient noise can't be addressed.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm after is very subtle compression. I know it's going to goof up the original intent of the sound mixers, but after hearing what some people had to say about the way some people are mixing soundtracks etc., I'm not so sure some of these tracks couldn't use a little taming.

------------------
Greg Mueller

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Boston Light and Sound has a reverse scan kit for the AAII. You could get that installed, sell your dts unit and run in SR to aleviate the situation.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, There are variable compressors on the market. You are able to adjust the threshold level at which compression begins and also the amount of compression. For example a subtle amount of compression might be 5 dB, whereas very aggressive compression would be 20 - 30 dB. ("20 dB of compression" means that the output is held nearly constant over 20 dB of input change) Normally these units are single or dual (stereo) channel. I haven't seen anything that would do 5 channels. Alot are made for the pseudo-recording semi-professional market and don't cost an arm and a leg. Perhaps someone else on the forum, more up to date on current mfgrs., can steer you to some equipment names.

Mark Lucas
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for Mark Lucas   Email Mark Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So much for the artistic integrity of a soundtrack.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say Mark Lucas
Unless you have something positive to contribute to these discussions, why don't you shut the phug up. I don't think you've really said anything worth reading since you began trolling here.

------------------
Greg Mueller

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-20-2002 11:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The smart afterburner is a 5 channel limiter compressor with an ajustable threshold and a seperate compressor for the sub
Since it uses a summing detector all the channels are compressed at the same rate maintaining balance
I usually put it in the DTS loop to the processor and set it so that it kicks in just above 300mv

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 12:14 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord
So you can just barely compress with it? (it's adjustable??) I don't want a lot, just a smidge. How's the quality of the unit? Any objectionable artifacts?

------------------
Greg Mueller

Mark Lucas
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 02:42 AM      Profile for Mark Lucas   Email Mark Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, I'm not going to argue with you. Go "phug" yourself and your soundtrack crippling ideas. That's on topic.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-21-2002 03:39 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya Greg, I agree with you. Let's keep it on topic. If ya can't say something constructive and on topic, then F**K Off! If I was a worrywart, I would be more concerned about the aspect ratio and screen size than the audio.

Just for reference, 99% of the new video monitors/TVs have a setting that boosts the dialog and/or center channel so it is understandable by using some sorta compression. Also, while limiting/compression is lightly used in FM it is the STANDARD in AM broadcasting. Many theaters do not have the audio amplifier watts (and speakers) to reproduce high-level sound without clipping.... you know, when those pesky "clip" LEDs on the amps light up on the loud passages. I hope that will change in the future. (The systems I have designed have 27 to 35 kW of audio power which seems like an over-kill, but they do not distort and clip and are kick-ass clean)

Anyway Greg, a lot can be said for compression. The old tube-type compressors like the Gates "Level Devil" go for buco bucks and are used in many soundtracks.

While I agree it is desirable to reproduce both the image and the sound as originally intended, there has to be a compromise based on the available venue and media...both in film and video...but the goal is the best it can be.

>>> Phil

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 04:56 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark ... I have to agree with Greg re: the phugging of one's self. It's something you should seriously consider. Correct me if I am wrong people, but I believe Mark has done little other than flame and complain since he appeared on FHF. ...... hmmmmmmm , hang on .... it was about the time of all the heated EP2 discussions wasn't it? Mark Lucas...... George Lucas? ... connection? hmmmm .... What is it you actually 'do' Mark? You call yourself a film handler, yet you list your occupation as 'sleeping'???? If you do actually work in a cinema, I would suggest that 'you' and your 'sleeping attitude' are part of the problem that threatens film ... a medium you obviously have zero passion for! .... which begs the question, why participate in the FILM handler's forum? It also seems to me, and I am sure to others, that you are mis-informed, unwilling to evaluate the pros and cons for 'both' sides of an issue, and your oppinions suffer from what would appear to be the 'tunnel vision' of youth.... I'd be surprised if you are even over the age of 17. *rant over*

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 04:59 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ... I forgot ... and Greg, re: artifacts... compressors I have used generally suffer from attenuation or 'dulling' of the top end as compression kicks in. I have however, seen some stereo compressors in the P.A. field that offer intelligent 'enhancement' ... basically a top end boost that reacts in conjunction with the amount of compression at any given moment.
The one's without that feature tend to kill things if you are compressing anymore than just a little teeny bit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: