Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wire Strippers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wire Strippers
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to purchase a pair of wire strippers for various uses, but they have about 10 different ones to choose from. The main difference is the range of sizes they handle. So that I (hopefully) don't have to purchase another pair in a year or three, what size wires would I be likely to run into working as a tech? thx.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-19-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, for a general purpose wire stripper, stay with the Greenlee brand. Stay away from those el-cheapos from Radio Shack.

Greenlee makes green handled ones and red handle ones. One of the green handle strippers have stripping holes (precision, I might add) from AWG 14 to AWG 26. The red ones handle larger wire.

I am sure there are brands out there that are equally good, but I stick with Greenlee products.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 04:48 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Ken,

I have been very fond of the Palladin automatic stripper. It is like a pliers with the stripper out the end. I have used mine for booth and organ installations for many years and they are still sharp.

The adjustment is very simple, one of three settings for the type of wire you are using. Small, medium or large. The amount of insulation it removes is easily determined by how far you insert the wire into the end of the stripper. This tool does not nick the wires regardless of the insulation on it.

Happy shopping, KEN

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So 14-26 is a good range for general purposes and for the booth?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8-guage would be about the biggest wire you might run across in a projection booth. Some crazy person might use that for a subwoofer run. 14-guage is real common for speakers and such. The smallest wire you might strip would be phone wire or CAT-5 wire. I have found that el-cheapo RCA cords are pretty thin. 20-guage is phone wire so 26-guage is real thin.

So 26 is good for the smallest wire but you want to be able to strip down to 8-guage as well. But heck, I'd get both strippers Paul recommended.

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

If you run across 30 gauge wire (for any wire-wrapping of pins) Radio Shack produces a cheap and good solution for about $8. It's called a "Wire Wrap Tool."

Paul,

Other than that, I share the same sentiments about Radio Shack products... complete crap.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 10:12 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<dons flameresistant suit>

I know that wire stippers are the "proper" way of doing things and required for certain work, but most of the time I do better with a good pair of dikes, inserting my first finger between the handles to make an open fixed V wedge, and then eyeballing where to place the wire. I've checked wire that I've stripped that way, and only rarely do I nick the conductor(s). It does sometimes stretch the insulation unless I score it.

I'd spend money on many other tools before a spending on a wire stripper. YMMV.

BTW, there may be complete tool sets that can be picked up cheap. There are a lot of retired hams and commercial radio engineers that are dying off, and typically the family hasn't a clue on how to sell the tools.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 10:35 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, why would you strip CAT-5? The crimp connectors are supposed to pierce through the insulation.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-19-2002 11:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CAT 5? That crap is so damn flimsy that most wire strippers will knick it severely.

I just use my thumb nail to strip that stuff.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Radio Shack cheapos due to I have a bad habit of leaving tools on the job or it gets ripped off, so the Radio shach cheapees are good for me, I usually get all m tools & test equipment from Contact East, the have a great selection of tools, when I go do a new install I always buy two wire strippers since I know I will lose one, 14-26 ga is the one I buy....

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-21-2002 12:05 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12-gauge is common for speaker runs too. I use 10 for subwoofers.

Contrary to popular opinion, none of the dikes I know are very tech-savvy. I wouldn't trust them to strip wires for me.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-21-2002 01:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I think you got "Dikes" mistook for "Dykes".... (or vice versa)

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-21-2002 01:34 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Paul, I use my nails up to 14 guage and then my teeth up to 4/0! After that, I call in the Marines!

>>> Phil

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-21-2002 10:12 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

I was almost embarrassed to say it, so I am glad you did first. I have been using my front teeth as the perfect wire cutters since I was a kid putting together Heathkit amps. You can feel the exact depth you need to bit in order to get a perfect strip and never knick the wire. Right up to 18awg is no problem. It's fast (you never have to find the wire cutters....you've got em built in!) and
it's clean (the insulation doesn't fly all over the room).

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use my teeth and had this perfect spot between my right upper K-9 and the next tooth over. Then one day the dentist said "what's this funny knick right here"? and when I explained, he "suggested" that I not do that anymore. So now I use strippers. I like to have two sets around as I haven't found one unit that goes from 8 ga to 26. Spend the money and buy a nice pair. It's always good to have decent tools. They make the job so much easier.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: