Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Victoria 8 anecdotes / opinions requested! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Victoria 8 anecdotes / opinions requested!
David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 10:16 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering buying a used Victoria 8 for a screening room and would be interested in hearing the experiences and opinions of folks who've actually used and /or maintained the things (I haven't...yet). Any thoughts on what a reasonable price for a used machine might be, and how that compares to other models (bearing in mind my UK location!)?

Thanks in advance.

David

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 08:35 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind how many spare parts are around.

As for price, a V8 with auto twin turret, curved gate & trap, Optical soundhead etc reconditioned price U.S.$4200.00

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-19-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very nice tank of a machine. Avoid the older fire/changover type vs the later style with the top mounted picture changeover box since this is a high maintinance area....if the machine was properly cared for it should still have some of the usable 20 + year service life in it.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 02:30 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Is this one of the ex- Apollo machines or from another local source?

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 04:14 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback. The machine is a dual guage 35/70 model with a 4kW Zenith lamphouse. I'm not yet sure if it's practical for me at this stage, but I'm taking a look!

The source is anything but local, but if it turns out to be a good buy then I'll hire a van to collect the thing. Dick - what are these ex-Apollo machines you mention?! Do you know of any good used equipment sources here in the north? (I hear rumours of someone in the Stockport area but don't yet know where ) Seems like the equipment market here is much less diverse and significantly more expensive than the US

David

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just so happens that there is one of these Vic 8's you seek, sat taking up space in our workshop. Came from up my way. Complete with lamphouse, pedestal, 35/70 platter, CP200/MPU etc should you want all that. Judging by your location I'm pretty sure you know the number, and it's not exactly far away from you..... (In Stockport.....)
There's a Vic 5 from the same place too...

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 12:22 PM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, now I'm interested. The supplier I hear of is in the Cheadle Heath / Edgeley area but I haven't tracked em down yet. I'm hopefully looking at this other machine next weekend (I'm in the vicinity then for other reasons) - so maybe I should track down the Stockport folks and have a look-see at what they have to offer too. I'm trying to ensure that if I do pick one of these machines up I get it at the right price since I don't have bottomless pockets (and who does?!).

David

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 02:14 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David I've emailed you with contact details.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have the V8's have all the 70mm parts with them and the Mag Penthouses?.

To get new replacements from SA would be a costly issue and finding used parts are getting harder to find.

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't know for sure about the state of the V8 I'm looking at until next week, but it's supposedly complete including all of the 70mm and mag hardware. We'll see!

David

Mark Hathaway
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 01:48 AM      Profile for Mark Hathaway   Email Mark Hathaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how about a used kinoton? VERY reliable, super still image. My personal favorite (apart from the bloody red led termainal behind the flywheel, grr)

If no one has mentioned it, Vic 5's love throwing gear boxes. Some vic 5's gear boxes will last 20 years, others 10,000 hours.

Mark Hathaway

------------------
Mark Hathaway

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-22-2002 06:48 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V-5 shutter gear box was upgraded a few years ago to an all steel gear set....since it is more noisy,the gear box is incased in rubber. the older style, which is still available, uses nylon gears. Both boxes are interchangeable.
Richard Fowler
TVP-theatre & video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 07:54 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben there are more places than SA to get Cinemecannica parts!

The one in our workshop was most definitely complete, I know this because I loaded it onto the truck with my own hands!

I didn't think Apollo had gotten rid of any Vic 8s, I know they shifted a load of Vic 4 from closed sites, but AFAIK the 8s are still very much in use.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-22-2002 10:06 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Western Cinema Supply in the UK is also a agent for Cinemecanica

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 02:44 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon that's not quite true. SA are AKAIK the only official agent for Cinemecannica in the UK, Western Cinema Services can supply equipment and parts through their tie in with Film Ton Technik in Germany ( I think ), and I might add have supplied Cinemec parts to some of my customers in record time, allowing me to get them back on the screen when the 'official' channels couldn't help. I believe Imagineering can also supply equipment and parts too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: