Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horizontal Make-Up Tables (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Horizontal Make-Up Tables
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-16-2002 07:24 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the benefit of those who use the horizontal make-up table, I sent some pictures to Brad about how I use it for make-up of previews, as well as using a "straight shot" for mounting and dismounting a print. Several pictures demonstrate the make-up of a complete preview change if it necessary to change them between shows. Usually, I make a whole batch. Please notice I wind them on the table's drive spindle with the Sound Track DOWN because the spindle rotates in the opposite direction. When that is accomplished, I simply remove the old previews from the movie. Then I take the new ones from the MUT, flip them on the platter with the sound track up, and splice them on to the head of the movie. If there is only one or two previews that have to be changed, the same method can be employed.

However, there are two issues that the operator should be aware of. One is sometimes the diameter of the new previews may be bigger than what what was removed, but I have found a way to get around that. The other is some of the state-of-the-art platters that are electronically controlled may not like it, and might fall behind in feeding until the previews are expended on that particular showing. It might be necessary to help it along a little.

The other pictures just show how I use a "straight shot" from the MUT to the platter without using any buffer clusters, springs, rollers, etc. One of those pictures has the appearance that the film is dragging on the platter, but that is a camera parallax error.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-17-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see any rollers on that MUT. What happens if the middle deck is broken and you have to load up onto another deck? What happens if you have to break a film down and it's not on the middle deck?

BTW, cool idea for a homemade trailer reel! Could you use a larger trailer flange so the platters do not have to be hand spinned while the trailers play through?

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 01:48 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad
Good point on the middle platter only comment.
Reminds me of those crappy Super Platters. In fact his MUT kind of reminds me of those tables and really don't want to see those dogs anymore. Had to deal with four of them in my last theater. Yuk.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, gentlemen, I keep the center platters in good working order at all times. Even if it is broken, you are hosed anyway if you are running a movie on that machine.

Secondly, if the center platter does break, there are many other center platters to choose from in a multi-plex. Also, if projectionist plans correctly, having a center deck available to do the work with is not an issue.

As a rule, during build-up and tear down nights, I keep the center platter open on as many machines as possible.

Brad, the trailer reel was manufactured by Neumade. And, the reason why you see no rollers on the MUT is because I took them off and threw them away.

Actually for the most part, hand spinning may not be necessary for most platters unless they are grossly out of adjustment. Potts, Film Systems, Strong International, Xetron, or Christie AW-3's. seem to handle it very well if they are somewhat in the ballpark as far as timing is concerned.

Actually, the Christie AW-3 will probably handle it the best because the entire operating reference is not set by a variac like the other older style machines mentioned earlier.

Peter, do you still have those "dogs?" I'll come down and pick them up so I can modify them with bigger tops to handle 2 each 6,000 foot reels. Then they are big enough to use as a work table, too. I have done that to two of them, and the projectionists love them.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 04:01 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, watch it with the super platter comments! Except for a blown fuse one day, i've never had a problem with them in the year i've had to use them. As opposed to a particular strong platter system i used this past weekend which tossed the print on me once and had to be helped out the second time!

I haven't had the middle-platter-only be much of an issue, to my own suprise.

Paul, how did you plug the Super Platter MUT into the strong platters for build up? Or are you just breaking down that print? I can't tell.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:
Those dog platters are property of Landmark and are in storage somewhere (thank the maker) after being jerked out of the Broadway Market when it closed recently. There are still four "running" at the Crest in North Seattle.
I appreciate your confidence in your platters not breaking down because you do take care of them. Even so I've had mine crap out mid-show, but Supers do wrap tight enough to be able to pick up the remaining film on a board and move it to a good table. Don't you just love those vacuum cleaner motors?
By the way, the previous manager at the Market also took off those roller assemblys that allow you to build on top and bottom and chucked them. Go fiqure!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2002 04:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, the CFS table will handle just about any platter on the market. All that has to be done is an installation of the correct connector for the specific type of platter used. I'll order one for Anacortes.

As for the platter tossing the print, I have traced that to excessive vibration. When the P/O head calls for more film, you can hear the vibration of the drive "O" rings shaking loud enough where the platter's disk lets out a growl with the dish beating on the outriggers. A new set of "O" drive rings and some cork spacers to wedge between the outriggers and the bottom of the platter dish should correct that problem.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2002 04:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, I cannot deny the tight wrap of the Super Platters, that's for sure. The strong International platters use the same motor, only in a different can.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of a good use for Super Platters.
They'll make good boat anchors for the ferries docking in Puget Sound.
Nuf said.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 05:22 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Paul,
Do I understand that you prefer the horizontal MUT
to the vertical? Is the horizontal approach becoming more widely used,so that it may become standard in new installations?
Gerard

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 07:19 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very first theater I worked at had those horizontal tables and I thought they were great. As long as you plan on Wednesday or Thursday how you were going to have all the movies on middle platters for Friday and save middle platters for build-up, there are no problems. Sometimes I had to move prints from one platter to another to arrange this, but as long as someone can help you and you are organized, its all good.

I like this method because there are no rollers to thread through during build-up to cause any early scratches. The only problem that I had is that there is no back tension, so I would put the movie on 6k reels and use my hand with a rag to provide the tension. In some ways (not all), I prefer the horizontal to the vertical.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 07:25 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, do you think that that middle platter tossing problem is somehow related to the fact that that platter gets used for breakdown/buildup almost exclusively (the one on projector 3)? Thats what I've found in Oak Harbor, is that the drive wheel belts need replacing on the middle platters more often.

Even when I had the option of building/tearing down on any platter (with Christie AW3s) i usually used the middle platter anyway. It was the easiest to work off of. This approach just simplifies the process, imho. Plus, i like the fake-marble laminate top on the CFS tables. It adds a touch of class!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, yes I do prefer the horizontal MUT's over the vertical. They can be used for practically everything related to building up prints and previews to tearing down. If a new installation happens and if I am "fresh out" of horizontal MUT's, I'll make one.

By the way, Strong uses the horizontal MUT with their platters. I don't care for them because the table sits too low. The use of guidance rollers and other crap is necessary no matter what platter you build on. The other thing I don't like about it...It is just simply physically too small. There is hardly enough room to place a splicer on it. If that table is stripped of all the rollers, springs, and extra junk and then raised somehow to the correct height, the exact same things can be done with it as I am doing with the CFS MUT's. However, a special flange would have to be made to do the previews like I do. The the spindle is too high from the table top.

Adam, the answer is yes and no.

Yes to the fact that it is used more to build a show. But the belts only cost about a buck, and they should be changed when they show signs of wear anyway.

No to the fact that the platter drives are mechanically disconnected by the levers while breaking down a print, and the platters are allowed to free wheel. While dis-mounting a print, "One hand on the throttle and one hand on the brake". Darron just mentioned the technique. Of course, some coordination is required.

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen a horizontal MUT before these pictures. looks great. I use the vertical and build up at a very slow speed on the bottom or middle platter. (easier to view.) So I avoid scratches. But I only build up a print once every 6 months so I am not running super speed every thursday at midnight so I can get home and get to bed. 35mm is way faster to build up than 70mm but we have to be oh so careful and gentle with lg format so we actually inch the film onto the platter...

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-17-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul -- thanks for the tips and pictures. I've never seen/used a horizontal MUT before, but I do like the idea of being able to makeup/breakdown directly to the center deck without having to thread through a bunch of rollers.

Having said that, I can't imagine using something like this in place of a standard rewind bench. Rewind benches serve many purposes and rewinding is only one of them--in a booth without a rewind bench, where do you keep stuff like pens, splicers, sync blocks, show schedules, walkie-talkies, spare film cores, split reels, etc? Ordinarily, all of these items can be found on, above, or below the bench. What do you use as a desk when leaving notes for the next day's operator? How do you inspect prints by running them through your fingers on a horizontal MUT, anyway? If I somehow got stuck in a booth without a proper rewind bench, I'd probably go insane. Actually, I'd probably just bring in a pair of handcrank rewinds and clamp them to a table.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: