Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Foucusing Big Sky console

Author Topic: Foucusing Big Sky console
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 10:31 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, I couldn't find any information about bulb focus in the Big Sky manual! So how do you do it? On the 3K version, there are 3 holes in a triangle formation to the right side of the meter panel. I looked inside these holes and there are allen screws. I assume that these are the focus and position controls, but which is which? The 4K version is a bit different. There are two holes to the left of the meter panel, and one on the "extended" part of the lamphouse. Again, are these the focus and position controls, and which is which? thx.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-15-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, you might want to just try moving each control a couple of turns one way and then back while observing the result on screen (I can't remember which control is which on the Big Sky).

Left-right and up-down are no problem, but keep an eye on that focus adjustment. The Big Sky design for the focus mechanism is a lame one IMNSHO--the ones I've seen bind up when they're being adjusted towards a cooler position (away from a hotspot condition). (The follower pin on the bulb carrier sled rides up the focus cone instead of sliding along it, lifting the bulb carrier sled off its guides and binding it. There is a spring fitted to keep the sled pressed against the guides, but it isn't strong enough to prevent the pin from riding up on the cone). If you're adjusting focus away from a hotspot and you don't see a change on the screen, the mechanism has bound up and you'll need to unbind it. Otherwise vibration will eventually release the strain on the mechanism, causing a change in focus back towards the hot end. I've seen one print get blistered when this focus change occured during the first show after a lamp change.

When you focus you might want to start with the lamp set towards the cool end (dark center screen) and adjust toward hot--the sled doesn't bind when it's going in that direction. If you have to adjust away from a hotspot condition, try vigorously wiggling the Allen wrench as you go. Or rock the adjustment back and forth after each couple of turns in order to get that sled to settle back down on its guides. Both are pain in the ass techniques for sure. Perhaps someone else here has a better way, but that's what Dave Huskinson and I have seen to work for now.

Have fun!

Paul
SMPTE Hollywood Section
Still gimpy and once again mercenary projectionist
"When the money runs out, so does I."

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-15-2002 05:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you about to molest your Xenon?

I'll bet the one in the centre is vertical; the one on the right is focus.

That leaves the one on the left...lateral.

Let me know if my GUESS is close.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 11:00 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I really cannot picture what you are talking about. I've never actually changed a bulb in this lamphouse before. I just noticed that the bulb was out of focus during a show. I ran the bulb afterward with nothing in the gate, and sure enough it was out of focus. So it needs to be adjusted. I'm not familiar witht the inside of the lamphouse....yet.

If I were removing a bulb, I certainly would molest...er...uh...handle it properly, but like I said, I'm not removing it this time.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-20-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump for Dennis...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: