Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ReAlignment of Sound Equipment

Author Topic: ReAlignment of Sound Equipment
Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 11:28 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys and Gals, I am working a proposal to change the way things are done in the booths in our circuit. I need some input on this subject. To me, one of the top things that needs to be in tip top shape in our sound gear. Having said that, how often does the equipment, i.e. sound heads, processors and light sources, need to be checked and/or EQ'D or aligned. One a month, bi-monthly every six months????? For the record, I currently am working at a 17-plex. We have 15 6-D DTS units. Two that only run SR/SR*D. For the processors I have 13 CP-65's and 4 CP-500's. For the SR*D readers we have two Dolby penthouse Cat.701's and one Dolby SR*D basement reader on our Vic 5. This is our THX house also. I also need to know, how much time it takes to do a "alginment" or a EQ on the equipment that I have listed. I know this request seems a bit strange but I am back in the booth having been gone since 1989, HAVE THINGS CHANGED! When I left in '89 all I had to worry about was SR. I did have my own dual trace scope and pink noise generator and the such and I checked all machines each month. I am trying to get myself back in the "know" on things. Looking forward to your input. I am also looking for a outlet to get trained on this stuff. If you know of any place that offers training, please pass it along. Thanks alot. PS> For the record, our circuit has over 100+ screens and two techs. Screens are scattered around the State.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-15-2002 12:00 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if things are being done properly at your place...how would you know....You might make a change for the worse, right? I wish I could tell you where to get trained...My techs trained me on-site.

Did I say "trained"? I'm still in training! I'm learning stuff all the time. This website is a good place to start.

I do A-Chains as needed or annually, whichever comes first. Currently I have to borrow equipment to do that so that's about as frequent as I can go and I haven't observed the A-chains to be unstable things.

Dolby Tone is checked about once a month.

B-Chains are checked every 6-months but only because I'm paranoid that people are making unauthorized tweaks to the systems. Sometimes more frequently if I happen to hear a movie that doesn't sound right.

I don't have any THX houses...you'll need to be careful before making any changes to that stuff. You don't want to lose your certification.

Which brings me to a question: If you have a THX house, your sound gear can't be all that bad. Why do you feel it needs attention just now? Are things going haywire?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-15-2002 12:23 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I say this politely ... Bob's theater needs help, and it's not Bob's fault.

The THX auditorium wasn't eq'ed until after it was certified.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2002 12:18 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

You may want to consider attending one of Dolby's training session they have each year. They have them on both coasts and may be worth your employers money to send you for a refreshment course.

Good Luck!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-16-2002 12:28 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you can afford it...Get your own test gear. I've been borrowing and it means I don't get to check stuff at the first sign of trouble. It also means I'm not using test gear that I would have chosen to suit my particular needs/preferences.

Oscilloscopes and RTA's have been discussed in a couple of threads already -- very recently, too.

Oh, and don't forget all the test films!

I keep my test rolls in a Rubbermaid container in the booth cupboard and I carry small 15' loops of each film in a smaller container that I carry around all the time in a mini toolkit.

Are you working one location or a network of cinemas?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: