Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Room Duties (for casuals- what should they be?))

Author Topic: Projection Room Duties (for casuals- what should they be?))
Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 12:38 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone made a list of duties that projectionists should perform on a shift by shift, day by day,
weekly, monthly, 6 Months, yearly basis?? Just a general one like below. (Modified to plain text)
The duty list is not intended to make the projectionist hate the job, just a guide of stuff to do, thats why it is short.
If you have a nicely formated excell or Word Duties list. I'd like to see it, please email me a copy or post here.
I would really love ideas (By Friday!! Otherwise I might be in more trouble than I already am) , Thanks Bill.

DUTIES FOR CASUAL PROJECTIONISTS
GENERAL Clean/Vacuum Floor, Clean/tidy rewind bench, Ads/trailers to be topped tailed as soon as possible. (as required/needed)
SHIFTLY Clean Lenses, Clean projector film path, Use the tape to clean the ptr rollers when possible between sessions.
DAILY Check Projector oil levels, check/replace isle lights
NIGHTLY Check/replace foyer lighting. Map Cinema lights out, Clean ptr's before last session - leave to dry on lamphouse.
MONDAY Day Shift - Clean ports, Fax popcorn machine report. Night shift - Put new movies to 6000's (If they arrive!!)
TUESDAY Day shift - Put new movies to plate, Fax Print reports. Night shift - remove all ads (box head out)
WEDNESDAY Day shift - replace all ads and trailers (email H/O if trailers differ to list). Night shift - Do Marqee, Program Textlite, Program Ezymation
THURSDAY Day shift - Put out going movie to 6000's. Night Shift - Break down outgoing movies to flats or 2000's
FRIDAY Day Shift * Night Shift - Mop/Vacuum Bio Floor areas (as required/requested)
SATURDAY Day Shift* Night Shift *
SUNDAY Day Shift * Night Shift - Empty Bins as required
WEEKLY Wipe down entire projector, including base. Remove gate AND trap, clean runners and aperture area.
BI-WEEKLY Check seats and arm rests for being loose/bent, replace as required.
MONTHY Clean inside projector motor/shutter area. Check projector drive belts and/or clean.
SIX MONTH Check Dolby levels(even if DTS/SRD machine), clean mirrors, clean plates, dust/clean amps fans, rectifiers
YEARLY *

TRAILER TRACKING
While I'm at it, does anyone have a way of tracking trailers that are on hand and screening? (in i.e excel?)
(Im not going to send the lame attempt at how I'm doing it, its worse than the Duties List above)

BILL.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 01:59 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally feel that projectionists should not be overloaded to the point whereby they are unable to keep a close watch on the presentation. That is, they should be paying attention to what's going on.

What sound format is currently selected in all auditoria? Are the fader settings where they should be? Are the rectifiers at full current or standby current? Is the light steady and bright? Is everything in frame or are those anamorphic features displaying edit flashes or showing a slight frameline? Is the film path threaded correctly or is the film rubbing over something it shouldn't? Are the media pads rewound properly and still moist with FilmGuard? Is the masking/aperture/lens correctly set for the feature? Are there soft edges on the screen anywhere? Is the focus dead-on or could it be improved? How are the dolby digital error rates for each print? Which DD readers could use an alignment? Are the correct DTS discs loaded for each feature?

If the projectionist is confident about all these points (and many more) then the theatre in question is already doing better than the vast majority of theatres out there and the public will appreciate it. However, most theatres fail to do these basic checks each session (evidently).

If the projectionist doesn't pay attention to these things, no-one else will. Don't rely on the automation - check everything twice, then check again. If everything is going fine, do something else, but keep checking everything periodically!

I also strongly believe in doing things as the need arises rather than dogmatically sticking to some schedule that tells you when to do things. In other words, be an intelligent, observant individual rather than an automaton. Constantly look for abnormalities in the course of projecting - this will inform you better than anything else as to what actually needs doing.

Don't become one of those theatres that is busy cleaning a portglass (due to some schedule) thereby failing to notice that an entire print is running out of focus next door.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Don't become one of those theatres that is busy cleaning a portglass (due to some schedule) thereby failing to notice that an entire print is running out of focus next door."

Finally, someone else agrees with me! Every booth that I have been in that has lists of things to be done daily is in dire need of presentation help. I wholeheartedly agree with Michael, a GOOD projectionist keeps a close watch on everything and corrects what needs to be done as it occurs. For example, let's say a 10 plex says that on the 1st, 11th and 21st day of each month that projector #1's port glass is to be cleaned. Then projector #2's port glass is to be cleaned on the 2nd, 12th and 22nd day of each month, and so on. That's fine and dandy...ON PAPER, but in the real world, what happens when the #1 auditorium's port glass gets a smudge on it on the 12th of the month? You guessed it, that auditorium runs that way for 9 more days because "that window isn't supposed to be cleaned today". I know that someone will come after me and say "projectionists should follow the schedule and do anything extra that needs to be done", but in reality if you run your booth like that your "projectionists" will end up doing the bare minimum. Also, I firmly believe that certain things like lenses and port glass should not be touched unless they need it. 9 times out of 10 a perfectly clean port glass will look worse after cleaning, because the projectionists are too busy worrying about what tasks they HAVE TO COMPLETE during their shift. It's foolish and that kind of nonsense is created by well-intending corporate personnel, but it just doesn't work. The solution is to get rid of ANYONE who doesn't do a stellar job. Don't be afraid to boot people back to the floor and bring someone else up. At the same time, give pats on the back, respect and pay raises to those who do put on a good show. Unless you are in your own zone and there are no other theaters within a reasonable driving distance, your customers WILL go to the competition and leave your theater empty.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-12-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's right - I've yet to encounter a projectionist who is interested in doing this as a career. Most are attending community college and plan to go abroad within two years of starting work with us.

We train in groups of 10 or so and the ones who pass their exams get the higher-paying gig as projectionist.

Our projectionists don't have a whole lot to do. They only run the movies and they are required to do a tour of all machines every 10-20mins and check for focus and frame and to ensure that the platters are spinning right.

They have a very simple form that they can fill out if they notice anything and it has my fax number on it. I go in to each complex once a week even if I don't get any irregularity reports from them. Once in a while, I will actually run shows because that's the best way to find the little problems like loose or missing screws.

The more experienced operators are assigned the build-up/tear-down and trailer duties. All projectionists are required (as a group effort) to keep the booth in ship shape. At our newer cinemas, there is a special place for EVERYTHING.

I've never had a machine with a serious oil leak, but these are century type projectors and the oil tends to stay in the intermittent, so my once-a-week check is adequate.

Dolby tone - About once per quarter. If I have to do one, then I'll just do them all.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-12-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, I firmly believe that certain things like lenses and port glass should not be touched unless they need it.

Finally, someone else agrees with ME!

I was walking through the 35mm booth the other day and saw the opening projectionist cleaning a lens (among other opening duties). Swirly-swirly-wet, swirly-swirly-dry. That's about how long it took.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic has been beat to death in other threads, some of which were started by yours truly !

Please do a topic search!

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 10:27 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago while working a UA booth the general manager ( Segal? ) walked into the booth looked around came back to my desk and asked when was the last time I cleaned my lens. I told him it was done the last time they needed cleaning. He was a little ticked off at my answer and asked for my lens tissue. He went over to a projector while it was running and used one of the paper dividers in the tissue pack to "clean" the lens. I just mentioned how he just scratched the lens, he swore at me and walked out. I think if you have good people in the booth they will know when things need to be done and really no need for schedules. If you have rookies in the booth you train them well and show them what to look for.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 01:55 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
brad said:
quote:
Unless you are in your own zone and there are no other theaters within a reasonable driving distance, your customers WILL go to the competition and leave your theater empty.

Movie theatres aren't just in competition with other theatres. There's always movie rental places, and the almighty television.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: