Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Training.

Author Topic: Training.
Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 09:29 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Paul (and anyone else) for responses to my earlier question.

Now. Could I have the benefit of the boards knowledge and experience on the following?

In what order would you provide basic training to new booth personnel?

(a) Film Handling.
(b) Equipment overview.
(c) Presentation.

Also, what level of knowledge do you like them to have before touching the machinery?

Kind regards,

Frank. (It's always better on the big screen!)

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 09:58 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, it has been my experience that opperatorrs are usually trained in the order you mentioned. In and ideal world, I would do it in the exact opposite order. First, teach them all about presentation, so they know what is expected of them and that a projectionist's job is not to be taken lightly as many do. Next, the equipment. At least make sure they knoew all the parts of a projection system and how they function. Some basic regular maintenance could come at the point, but the advanced stuff could wait. Finally, once they know what a perfect presentation should look like and they know how to use the equipment that will produce that presentation, teach them the film handling.

Film handling should not be the first thing a projectionist learns, because if he doesn't know all the parts of the film path and signs of trouble in the film path, the film can be easily damaged.

Once he's mastered a perfect presentation, then you can teach him about the xenon bulbs!

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started ( a few years ago)......I was an usher at a theater....I talked the union projectionist into teaching me how to thread the projectors......That is what I started at...all I did was thread.....I next moved on to starting the shows....we didn't have much automation.....I started the projector....manually dimmed the lights and manually turned up the audio.....all the "automation" did was start the projector and strike the lamp....I think it was best to understand about good presentation....
It wasn't much later that the chain built a new theater and hired some very good engineers from UA to install the equipment....It was at that point that I spent the whole time by their sides learning about the equipment....
long story short......
Learn basic threading....starting shows first.....then.....whenever something breaks and needs repair....follow the person around and learn as much as you can.....cause I will talk to someone all day long as long as I feel they want to know something.

hope this helps.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-12-2002 11:52 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first of all, we prefer to promote from within, so most projectionists have been ushers for a while. this is a good way to know who's responsible and who isn't.

the sequence i've used for years...

lacing of platters only
then move on to threading of projectors
then tear-down (a good way to learn about building prints)
then build-up (a good way to learn about automation)
then trailers & centre-drops

trainees work monday-thursday matinee shifts only

then when they are more experienced they learn the close-out procedure (but only monday-thurs)

close-out is where they learn how to clean a projector

by this time they should have compiled a list of 6-10 questions about things that went wrong during their training period (about 12 weeks)

these questions are covered during sessions on troubleshooting and manual operation

there are also classroom type sessions on history, theory & audio formats

projectionists are not allowed to service the equipment

their test makes them write down the words "if it requires a screwdriver, call for help" in their own handwriting

passing grade on the written is 97%; most pass with higher

i don't know about nowadays but the hourly wage jumped from $4 to $6 upon passing the test and starting solo shifts

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2002 01:12 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I always do is take a prospective employee over to the projector and show them how it works:
This is the platter... this is how the "Brain" works... this is how it rewinds.
This is the projector... here are the sprockets... this is the gate... this is the intermittent. Etc, etc.

While I'm explaining how everything works I'm REALLY watching their reaction. You can tell whether or not the information is sinking in. If you see the "gears" turning in their mind, to show you that they are digesting the information then you have a good indication that the person is going to be a good projectionist. On the other hand, if they stand there with that "deer-in-car-headlights" blank look on their face you know it's going to take some work to get them up to speed. It's then that you can decide wheter or not you want to spend the time teaching them things.

Once I decide they are in, the ONLY thing I teach them is how to thread and start the movie. They will do that under direct supervision for at LEAST their first couple-three days. After that, they usually work on the "Shadow system"... meaning that they will be paired up with another knowledgeable person to run a shift as a team. If the "shadow trainer" thinks they have "the stuff" they can be working by themselves, but under supervision, by the end of their first week. If they can't learn enough to thread and start a movie (without any major problems) by that time we usually "flunk them out". (They can go downstairs and be an usher or concessionist, etc.)

From this point on, they can work semi-alone in the booth. Usually there are two guys in the booth anyway. The new guy will be under strict orders... If there is any problem with the projector or the presentation, call for help RIGHT AWAY! If there's anything that gives you a bad feeling, go ahead and shut the projector down and call for help. I tell them, "It's better to have the customers wait for 1 munute while you call for help than it is to have them wait for an hour because something got broke."
I have only had ONE person ever take me up on that offer. (It was a minor problem that was solved in under a minute.) That guy got "bonus points" from me because he asked for help instead of trying to fix it himself.

After this "break-in period" the person will start to learn how to break down films. After that, we'll teach them how to splice-up a trailer pak and drop it in. Once they prove themselves at that, they can build up a whole movie. If they've made it this far, they probably know 75% of what they need to know in order to build-up anyway, so it's just the next logical step.

All the time, we are watching them and pounding it into their head that they need to be checking projectors and presentation AT ALL TIMES. You can tell a lot about a person just on how they do this. If they are the "kick the tire and light the fire" kind of person it will show up pretty quickly. That kind of person will find themselves working on Monday and Tuesday closing shifts for the rest of their life if they don't shape up. If they start to suck they will find themselves being told to go down and clean theatres.

We very rarely ever fired anybody... we more or less "Quit" them... meaning they will find themselves scheduled for less and less hours until they decide it's not worth it anymore and quit.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-12-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how much training (and/or knowledge) do others think is necessary before someone is allowed to run the booth alone?

Is it enough to know how to thread and start, or should the knowledge be deeper than that? I suppose that it isn't strictly necessary to know how to run Dolby tone and change xenons before being allowed to run a booth alone, but the knowledge is clearly valuable. If not in the initial training, when do people demonstrate stuff like this? Or does everyone pick it up by reading manuals and asking questions (which is pretty much how I learned it)?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
With the way projection staff generally turns over, I generally train people to handle everything except servicing of the equipment (projector belts and oil levels excluded). Again, *generally* people aren't around long enough to make the training time worth it. Once someone proves themself as a dedicated operator, I start showing them other things if I think they are up to the task and will pay close attention and most importantly...if they WANT to learn. With the way most theaters pay though, finding people like that are a rarity.

In regards to the order of training (taking into account the limited time I am generally given to train someone new), I start with threading. If they can't do it themself on the second shift and have that mastered to the exact perforation by the third, it's on to the next person. Since training time is limited, I have to have someone who will pick things up quickly, otherwise everything else they need to know will take FOREVER to teach them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2002 09:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the end of the first or second day the person needs to be able to thread and run a near-perfect show by themselves even if they have to ask for help once or twice.

Like I said, for about a week (give or take) the person is on "shadow" training. Depending on how fast they learn the amount of supervision will vary. Under no circumstances will the new "guy" be outside of shouting distance. We have had one or two people who were able to sole on their second or third day. Even if a person stays on "shadow" for the whole week it's rare for a person not to be on a thread-and-check basis. (He threads and the other guy just comes by and checks the projector before it's started.)

As to teaching maintenance/repair: That usually starts right at the beginning. The first thing they learn is how to clean. After that they learn how to check for loose bolts/screws, etc. From there on, it's hard to say there is any order to the way things are taught. It's more of a need to know basis.

Those people who have the stuff will usually show it early on.

Tal Schwartz
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 02:17 AM      Profile for Tal Schwartz   Email Tal Schwartz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an added on question. From the position of a new projectionist, I'd very much like to learn more then what i currently know (threading, building up, tearing down) however i've found it to be nearly impossible to get anyone to teach me. i've started reading whatever manuals i can get a hold of, mostly off of this website, but that can only go so far without any chance at real practice or application. i've spoken with my booth and general manager and both have given me a version of 'we don't need more than one technician'. The compromise they made with me was that i could come in on my own time (that is unpaid time) and follow the technician around once a week. Unfortunately that didn't pan out, so me question to all of you is, what else can i do to teach myself the finer aspects of projection?

Thanks all

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 02:44 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tal
I guess the answer to your question is how serious are you in learning the ins-and-outs. We train our guys here and they are not paid for the training unless they are going to be running that particular booth eventually. Our trainees are told going in they are on their time and they hope to get some work out of it. Many do.
When I started in the booths I did it all on my time because I felt it was a craft and that was what I wanted to do. My agressivness apparently impressed the projectionists at my theatres at they taught me everything I wanted to know. I learned alot from them simply by showing up and asking questions when I wasn't working the floor.
Go for it. I'm sure some of your people will share their knowledge.

Tal Schwartz
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 03:02 AM      Profile for Tal Schwartz   Email Tal Schwartz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,
I absolutely agree with you. Coming in on my own time was my key to worming my way into the booth to begin with. Problem is, to learn more I have to start following our technician around and he's split between 4 theaters, so 1-2 days max at our theater, on top of which he works a really early 6 a.m. to noon shift. I don't particularly relish the idea of trying to work with projectors after only a few hours sleep, coming off of a closing shift
It can be done, but i just wanted to know if i had any other options

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 04:28 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for all your insights on training.

Actually I think I prefere an equipment overview before anything then film handling for the following reasons;

Have you noticed how clumsy new recruits seem when first lacing (threading) up? It's because they're not used to handling the stuff they're lacing.

I like them to have a good few hours just getting the feel of film.

During this time they are examining the difference between the base and the emulsion, indentifying the various sound formats and the aspect ratios, checking whether reels are head or tail out (not as stupid as it sounds). Rewinding, checking for damage and making perfect splices.

Then, when we come to show preparation (lacing up), at least they can relate to how the film goes through the equipment and why we have to lace in the way we do. They also seem more comfortable with the occasional peculiar behaveour of the stuff.

Good presentation is the goal that we're working towards. The prize at the end of the day if you like.

Having got them used to film and with a basic understanding of the equipment they then need to be carefully coached through the presentation depending on the level of automation. They need to understand the importance of what they are doing especially from the audience point-of-view. Incidently, there will be far fewer show losses if trainees are taught the manual alternative should the automation, or any other component, fail.

My favorite motivational expression is that the projectionist is the last vital link between the many millions of pounds (dollars) invested in a movie, and its audience. The good ones will have empathy with this.

I DO appreciate that time constraints are a problem but time spent on quality basic training now will be time saved later in potential, show-threatening situations.

Frank. (It's always better on the Big Screen).

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-13-2002 08:54 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody paid me to learn this stuff.

In fact, I paid to learn a lot of what I know.

You have to decide whether it's a hobby/curiosity or if you're serious about pursuing it as a career. If you do pursue it, you can get your money back via your salary or service charges.

I'm not very keen on training projectionists about service calls for two very good reasons:

(1) A lot of this stuff is "critical" meaning it makes a difference whether it's done right or wrong.

(2) Xenon lamps and the rectifier can hurt someone if they're not careful; most hourly employees aren't too careful.

...and besides, wouldn't I be putting myself out of business if I gave away all the little goodies!?

No kidding - that mentality will get in the way of a young projectionist who wants to learn the ins-and-outs. That's why I had such a dim view of the union projectionist in Detroit. The main guy was a "meanie."

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Ft. Myers, I would follow the technician around all the time. Some like it, some don't. He loved it. I would get up at 6 in the morning when he would be at the local theater doing PM or working on a special project. This theater was 5 minutes from me, and mine was half an hour away! (I transfered to the one farther away to become a manager when they opened that theater.) I would also work with him at my theater, and even drive out of town when he was working in Sarasota. I was not paid for any of this. He didn't mind teaching me anything that he did because he knew that I care about what I do and that I would not mess with something that was over my head. Also, he knew I wanted to be a tech, so basically he was training me. I'm glad I had a tech that liked to teach.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-13-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started you had to apprentice for 1 year unpaid 40 hours a week
Then there were 2 sets of govrnment exams
I always started apprentices with a reel to reel carbon house where they learned to revise film (by hand) and proper splicing techniques
Then they advanced to threading and mechanics of the equipment
Then they would get moved to a xenon automated house to learn the electronics.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: