Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon Lamp Rotations.

Author Topic: Xenon Lamp Rotations.
Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2002 03:15 PM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if this is 'old-hat' but what's the latest thinking on the practice of rotating Xenon lamps every 500/1000 hours or so?

Cheers,

Frank.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-11-2002 03:54 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. Follow manufacturer's instructions. Some bulb manufacturers include a washer, and the thickness of the washer is equivilant to 1/2 turn. That washer is either inserted or removed (depending whether it was installed with the bulb or not) and it should be done at 1/2 life of the bulb's warrenty.

Some people rotate them, some don't. There are many pro's and con's about that. I don't rotate mine, unless they show signs of envelope darkening.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 10:05 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Paul on not rotating unless the top of the envelope is darkening. I don't know if I can explain this as well as it was explained to me, but I'll give it a try. The arc that forms between the cathode and anode will find a particular spot on the anode that it like to jump to. It is happy. If you rotate the bulb, you disturb that and it is no longer happy. Does that make sense?

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: