Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex SPS Portable Motor Problem

Author Topic: Simplex SPS Portable Motor Problem
Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 01:27 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I bought my Simplex SPS "portable" a few years ago I've noticed that it will not properly get up to full speed if threaded up cold and turned on. It will sort of bog down and maintain a very slow speed. However, if I turn the machine on and let it run for several minutes first, then switch it off and thread up, it will get up to sound sync speed and maintain that speed just fine. Anybody have any idea what might cause this?

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd vote for either a) it's gummed up, or 2) a weak starting cap

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-10-2002 03:44 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen smaller machines do this as well( 8mm anyone ). What you need to do is dismantle the machine, clean out all the old grease, and pay special attention to the motor. The bearings may be going out, or are just clogged with 60 years of grease and dirt.
I have a Devry 230 so I know what you mean

Josh

Ooo, and dont forget to replace the grease with new grease

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice guys! However, I'm wondering if it might actually be an electrical problem with the motor rather than due to things being gummed up. If I try turning the mazda lamp on before starting up the projector motor it will bog everything down even more.

Does it seem to other folks like the problem might be with the motor or could it still be a problem of too much goo in the works?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-12-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am asuming it is equiped with a 1KW lamp? perhaps the wiring is inadaquate for the job. let the machine run for a while and feel the power cord to the machine. is it warm? If so, it should be replaced with something heavier. Do the lights in the room dim when you kick the machine on? As old as that machine is it probably just needs a good going-through, check all the wiring, screws, chains and belts. remove the old grease and repack if the grease is congealed, ect.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Josh

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 10:53 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh,

You are correct, my SP is equipped with a 1000 watt incandescent lamp.
I'll do as you suggest and check it to see if the wires are heating up. As far as the room lights dimming, I've not noticed that.

I'll check the machine thoroughly as you've suggested. You and Jeff may be right. It may indeed be a matter of things being gummed up somewhat.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-14-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to be of help. Let us know how it turns out

JJ

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: