Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The "F" Word

Author Topic: The "F" Word
Tom Wurz
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 11:15 AM      Profile for Tom Wurz   Email Tom Wurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope no one posted this already, but NCN has recalled our June Movie Tunes disk because it had the song, "The "F" Word" by Hank Williams, Jr. in it which they deemed the title as inappropriate.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burn a copy and play it anyway. Screw censorship!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-10-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's spelled "ph".

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a customer sees a movie they are most likely to hear the 'F' word numerous times anyway, the way movies now are, so I don't see the f**king difference!

It's just like how parents don't care about violence thier kids see in movies, but throw a fit over swear words.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2002 08:44 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But for those parents who are concerned about what their children hear, and are taking them to see Lilo and Stitch, do you think they would want to hear a song like "The Ph Word"?

That's phugged up.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no such thing as a bad word.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-13-2002 09:14 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once made quite an embarassing mistake involving 300 schoolkids and the Pulp Fiction soundtrack CD. It had been in the machine from the previous night's (18-certificated) show and I forgot to remove it before the kids came in to see an early-morning schools hire screening of The Crucible.

So these children are all sitting there, I stagger in, still half asleep, power up the amp rack (with the fader still on feature level from the previous night), and Uma Thurman's voice screams out across the auditorium, 'FREEZE, YOU MOTHERF***ERS!'.

I don't think it corrupted the schoolkids very much, becuase several of them started singing 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' after Daniel Day-Lewis got hanged.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 10:53 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Burn a copy and play it anyway. Screw censorship!"

Oh... I don't know. That word "censoship" is tossed around pretty freely these days. NCN has no inherent responsibility to play anyone's songs. So if they say they don't want to play a given song then it's their own business. It doesn't hamper anyone's ability to go buy a CD and listen to the song anywhere in which they control the CD player. On the other hand, if your responsibility as a projectionist is to play a Movie Tunes disc or not according to the instructions you've received, then the only professional thing to do is to follow those instructions. Shall we say "Screw responsibility!" in this case?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: