Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon Power Supply Used in Ballantine Vip Systems

Author Topic: Xenon Power Supply Used in Ballantine Vip Systems
Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I'm looking for some information ( manuals, specs,etc) about the xenon power supply used with the Ballantine vip system.
I got one of these power supply as I'm going to convert ( sigh ) one of my carbon lamp to xenon but there's no information anywhere in the power supply to tell wich wire do what nor anything telling the line voltage for it.
I found something about the vip system in the manuals section but it doesn't mention anything about the power supply, except that it'll accept many kinds from different manufacturers, depending on lamphouse and bulb.
This one I got was taken from a vip system ( or what once was a vip system) and was powering an Orcon vertical lamphouse. I don't know the bulb wattage, but judging by the lh's size I guess it's around the 1000W.
What I want to know about it are the connections for mains and voltage, if 110,125 or 220V, the current taps ( there's no switch for current taps in it only a connection block with about 6 points with numbered wires with the same gauge and another block, same size with two more wires following the numbers from the first block and 4 others without any marking and of different gauges.
I can take a picture of it and make it available online if it helps, just let me know.

Thanks for now

|  IP: Logged

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 08:33 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luciano;

There must be something on that power supply. At Strong we've put a few High Reactance types in the VIP, but nost were suitcase-sized Switchers. Is it fully enclosed with a handle on top? There should be a data plate on the system to tell what it is...

I'm not sure I follow everything on your email -- the ORCON II was a console system that was based around the xenon lamphouse and power supply. Strong did not put Switchers in those consoles. The VIP is a projector-based pedestal that would use a conventional two-piece xenon lamphouse and power supply system.

Pat

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 09:28 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the VIP's that Tom Moyer used in his theaters here in Washington and Oregon used the type 61001 high reactance power supplies.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 02:44 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat;
The power supply I got is a single phase,reactance type.
There's no cover, handles or Id plate on it ( if it had any of these it was taken off by someone). It was powering an orcon vertical lamphouse ( it looked like one of those cinemeccanica vertical LH,but smaller, it's not the Orcon II console for sure).
I downloaded the manual for the model Ken mentioned but I don't think it's the one I have here. the schematic will match with a few things and will differ greatly in others, specially about the transformer, the one in the schematic, has the taps in the primary while the one in the power supply i have doesn't have any tap but has an inductor in series with the primary and it has some taps on it and it's a separate part.
I took a few pictures of it, hope it helps ...

picture

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Luciano;

I checked the link for the pictures and got a "UOL - Acesso proibido" message.

The power supply might be an ORC style XPS-16. In the early days of Ballantyne's VIP Pedestals and before we partnered with Strong, Ballatyne put a few ORC Systems in as a package and this might be one of them, or at least similar.

Be helpful to see the pictures of course. I took a quick look in the manuals section of this site and didn't see any likely candidates. I'll keep looking if you keep trying the pictures -- or email them to me directly.

Pat

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 03:46 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D'oh.. seems that my ISP website server is acting up on me once again

Edit:

GRRRRR! it acted up again. the link doesn't seem to work when posted here in the forum.
Pat, i'll email you the picture.

Edit II: (06/11/02)
I sent the picture to Pat and also to Brad ,to be posted here.. I overlooked part of the faq about posting pictures with messages here and sending a picture to Film Tech is the prefered way.. and I thought it'd the annoying way ... ah well.. livin' and learnin' .

Picture Here

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 11:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early VIP's even had things like eprad rectifiers installed in them by the way pictures still didn't work

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh...
where's the picture?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: