Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vintage projector

Author Topic: Vintage projector
Stefano Billi
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 09:20 AM      Profile for Stefano Billi   Email Stefano Billi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to show you my Pio Pion old projector
http://web.tiscali.it/umbriaverde/pio_pion_fedi.htm

what do you think about it

I will happy to hear your comments

Stefano

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 10:18 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Stefano! Very cool. I know someone who has a very similar projector sitting on a shelf in his office. It's jus the projector head, no reels or pedestal. But it looks similar. Like yours, the shutter is in front of the lens. But if I remember correctly, I think his actually had a hand crank!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 10:35 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, you need to take a trip over to Ft. Myers sometime and visit the Edison winter residence. There are a lot of old projectors and historical items on display, most of which are in near mint condition.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2002 04:05 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a fine antique! I don't think I've seen a "Pio Pion Fedi"
before. Is that it's real name? What might it be in English?
Can you supply some history, such as name of manufacturer, when made,
where used? Looks like you can spend some happy hours cleaning and
making it a nice display piece. Do you plan to restore it?

EDIT: Welcome aboard Film-tech!
(Do you live in the villa shown on your website?)--Gerard

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-09-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!

What date does that machine go back to?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-09-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool! Can I buy the mate to it? Also, very nice Vespa!
Mark @ GTS

Stefano Billi
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 03:06 PM      Profile for Stefano Billi   Email Stefano Billi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you to everybody for your comments
I don't have a lot of informations about the projector, anyway I'll try to write what I know...
...Pio Pion was one of the first cinema equipment's manufacturer in Italy (Milano),
someone said my machine was made before 1910
the electronic was supplied by another italian pioneer (Fedi)
My grandfather buyed the Pio Pion-Fedi from a cinema in Chiusi (Siena's province-Tuscany)
to give the chance to see some films in his Umbrian little village
the historical village is Panicale in the Trasimeno lake's area
(http://web.tiscali.it/umbriaverde)

Recently I received an offer to sell the projector,
but I don't know the real value and, in the other hand,
I'm not the right person to sell somethingh my ancestors buyed with sacrifice and spirit of times

Do you have some conseil for me?
Thank you again for your attention

Stefano

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 03:44 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks for the history, Stefano!
Your grandfather reminds me of the movie "Cinema Paradiso", where the
theatre was a little town's social center and connection to the world.
Since it's a family heirloom, you'll probably want to restore the Pio-Pion for display, and possibly for demonstrations. You would need to remove much rust and corrosion, prime and paint some spots, and try to free up the working parts with penetrating oil, and partial disassembly.
If you haven't a crank, perhaps you can improvise one, to free the working parts. If reviving the carbon arc is impractical in your
location, substituting an incandescent lamp would suffice for demonstrations. The machine may have been sold originally with only a handcrank, and the motor added later. I can't tell if the resistance was used to reduce the voltage for the lamp or the motor,
but they might be restored for display only,and not used for demonstration.
Surely in that beautiful landscape you must have a fine spot for exhibition of your grandfather's historic machine?
Ciao, --Gerard

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pio Pion went out of business in the early 1990's. The early Italian manufacturers made copies of the Pathe projector until they came up with their own designs. Your projector has the add on European soundhead towards the rear which was popular in the early 1930's. Some Pio Pion parts are available through Veronese located in Milan.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-10-2002 09:09 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Paradiso eh??

so where are the 6000 foot magazines full of nitrate

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: